Black People : This Community is More Interested in Your Words Than the Words of Others

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Peace and Blessings Family,

This community is more interested in your words, than the words of others.

Anyone can copy and paste the words of others, disseminate someone else's thoughts, but it takes a bit more effort to come up with words / thoughts of your own.

The very process of articulating your own thoughts sharpens you. It makes you better. You don't really get better by regurgitating someone else's thoughts, for they get all the credit for that.

I am more interested in what you have to say, what you think, versus what some other author thinks.

Even with all of the great works already published, we as a people still face the challenges that we do. This might suggest that those words / thoughts are not enough alone, that new ones are needed to go along with them.

If we settle on repeating what others have said only, then we risk never moving forward.

Your unique words, experiences, and perspectives are more in line with what this community is about, its purpose, than the words of others.

I'm honored by those of you who articulate your own thoughts, graciously sharing them.

It's truly an honor ... an example for our children ... as well as hope for our tomorrows.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Here, Here!!! :toast:

3. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I remember back in school when teachers had you read a book and you had to summarize it in your own words and then give your own opinion on the book.
    We couldn't copy and paste it, but they encouraged citations here and there...

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Yes Sister MsInterpret ... i don't mean to take anything from those who have already put their words / thoughts on the table, that others use regularly. They obviously have said some great things worthy of mentioning, but that should not be enough for us. Something should be sparked within, that gives rise to our own words, our own opinions, using those already published to bolster ours perhaps, but not lean on them totally and completely ... as if we have no mind of our own. We do have minds, great minds, and it is the thoughts and words that come from us that i am most interested in reading / hearing ... as all the others are for the most part ... easily researched and/or attainable.

I believe the answer to our ills will come from the minds less read ... you, me, one of us ... our thoughts.

:heart:

Destee

5. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503

:wave::toast:
    Thanks Sis. Destee...this is laudable..

6. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
  7. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Teach, too...

:toast:

8. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

This is why i always try to speak off of the top of the didome on what i feel and know about a subject......If i happen to quote someone which is very, very rare it is only to confirm what i've already said to someone who doesn't seem to believe me.

One more thing that irks me, is when BLACK people who do quote others often choose to quote WHITE PEOPLE. Especially, there statistics about us and their so-called scholars on HIS-story and religion on a BLACK site.....:snapoutofit:

I mean, they might as well go join a white site and they would fit right on in......

9. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

True talk...even worse when they criticize us for not having any interest or declining to read their 'sources' such as....to the point...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/015696158X

Written by...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlin_Stone

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/17295.Merlin_Stone

10. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    In all due respect to this thread, the fact is that "no one has ever had an original thought" as all information that we have comes from outside of ourselves through one of our five senses. What I just said may take a while to digest but it is none the less true. None of us just popped here from the great beyond and everything that we think that we know or speak came from someone else, beginning with our parents. Like it is written: "There is nothing new under the sun except that which has been forgotten". Just as the past determines the present, the present determines the future and those who do not know the past are but pawns being moved in the present with hopes of floating into the future. We are either the moved or the movers... and in order to be a mover we must understand the past moves so that we are no longer moved instead of moving.