Computers - Software Hardware : Think your Skype messages get end-to-end encryption? Think again - Ars Technica

Gorilla

Jan 31, 2009
http://arstechnica.com/security/201...ssages-get-end-to-end-encryption-think-again/

If you think the private messages you send over Skype are protected by end-to-end encryption, think again. The Microsoft-owned service regularly scans message contents for signs of fraud, and company managers may log the results indefinitely, Ars has confirmed. And this can only happen if Microsoft can convert the messages into human-readable form at will.

With the help of independent privacy and security researcher Ashkan Soltani, Ars used Skype to send a four Web links that were created solely for purposes of this article. Two of them were never clicked on, but the other two—one beginning in HTTP link and the other HTTPS—were accessed, by a machine at 65.52.100.214, an IP address belonging to Microsoft.

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Brother Gorilla,

Thanks for sharing, though i'm not really surprised to read such.

Do you think anything on the Internet is private? If so, what things are?

Thanks in advance!

:heart:

Destee

Gorilla

Jan 31, 2009
Brother Gorilla,

Thanks for sharing, though i'm not really surprised to read such.

Do you think anything on the Internet is private? If so, what things are?

Thanks in advance!

Destee

Yep.

There is still some privacy available out there but unfortunately it always involves effort (working with open source software that isn't friendly for the average person) and discipline (good habits and practices).

The tools are out there though:
  • E-mail can be secured with PGP/GPG
  • Open source instant message clients offer encryption (Adium, Pidgin).
  • VoIP can be secured with tools like zPhone.
  • Web Browsing with TOR can make you more anonymous
  • VPN can provide data privacy
  • Full Disk encryption tools are available for personal computers and other computing devices (tablets, mobile phones, etc)
  • A variety of other encryption tools out there to do things like small containers or individual files.
  • Password management tools that can go a long way with creating a good secure password habit.
  • Text messages and phone calls can be encrypted as well.
  • Other interesting projects (portal, freedombox, etc)
  • Crypto-currencies.
These tools probably need to continue to become easier to use to ever see wide adoption, but in the end new tools probably won't be enough if the legal and political/policy making aspect of civil liberty and the Internet are neglected.

Gorilla

Jan 31, 2009
Brother Gorilla ... given the ongoing NSA revelations ... you still think something is private?

If so, how are you so confident?

Destee

There are still private ways to communicate. The EFF and other organizations have been supplying information about how to go about doing it since there's some momentum behind all the spying that's been going on.

I don't think any solution out there will always remain private or be perfect for everyone but there are several things government intelligence agencies always complain about and the one thing that keeps coming up is cryptography. Unfortunately, I think people need to realize that any technical solution needs to come with a change in government and policy.

Something you might find interesting about the adoption of encryption:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...f-encryption-exists-why-doesnt-anyone-use-it/

It makes some pretty valid points about usability of a lot of tools that would help people protect themselves.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gorilla Computers - Software Hardware : Security hole allows anyone to hijack your Skype account using only your email address (updated) Science and Technology 7
Gorilla Computers - Software Hardware : Did Skype Give a Private Company Data on Teen WikiLeaks Supporter Without a Warrant? Science and Technology 1
Destee Black People : Do You Have Skype - If So - Add - destee.com - our skype name Black People Open Forum 4
A Black Entertainment : Music and Messages to Inspire so that we do not Expire Black Entertainment 49
chuck Black People : Are Our Messages Truly Being Heard And Understood?!? Black People Open Forum 0
Keita Kenyatta Black People : BEAUTIFUL PICTURES, BEAUTIFUL MESSAGES Black People Open Forum 0
Writeous1 Black People : Subliminal Messages Exposed Black People Open Forum 0
T Unable to Leave Messages Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 3
M Black Poetry : SUB-MINIMUM MESSAGES Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
YungMiss Black People : Rappers Using Subliminal Messages: Jay Z Black People Open Forum 2
E Unable to thank posts, reply to visitor messages? Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 2
cherryblossom dotDefender Error / Blocking Messages Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 62
tyab14 Black People : An Ear for the Messages From the Youth Black People Open Forum 3
G Black People : Channeled Messages From The Sirian Elders Black People Open Forum 3
C Black Relationships : Boyfriend ignores text messages Black Relationships 15
A Black People : Can i send Private messages to you brothers and sisters ? Black People Open Forum 2
J Black People : Jesse Jackson and others like him. sending the wrong messages?? Black People Open Forum 18
D Black Haiku : computer error messages Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 11
C Pan Africanism : Subliminal Messages.... African American History Culture 4
M Black Poetry : Silent messages Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : Please Post Chat Error Messages Here Audio Video Web Conferencing 7
Destee Private Messages More Than 60 Days Old Will Be Deleted Announcements 0
U Black Poetry : Git Yo Hand Out My Pocket (I gotta eat too) Messages from the Afro Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 15
U Black Poetry : I Wonder (messages from the Afro) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
U Black Poetry : Untitled (Messages from the Afro) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 18
U Black Poetry : October (messages from the Afro) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
U Jails / Prisons : Prisoner (messages from the Afro) Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 17
N Black Poetry : Double Messages Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
HODEE Black People : Will our new Roaring ’20s end with another Great Depression? Not if Joe Biden’s smart. Black People Open Forum 1
Destee Black People Politics : The US is facing a dollar collapse by the end of 2021 Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : End of a decade: What the 2010s, Obama, Trump and Black Lives Matter meant for Americans African American History Culture 0
R Black Poetry : Sex is not a profession could raise complex questions when trouble need advice could end up having a double life now too much rubble wrong price see a Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : Pitch mean the throw so he itch for a flow but could end up in a ditch yo if he don't drive right to survive the night he desire lace around a firepl Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Ndugu Black People : American Rwanda ; Fratricidal War in Chicago, how can we look the other way instead of help end it ?? Black People Open Forum 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : There's Still a Lot of Work to Be Done to End Natural Hair Discrimination Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 2
Destee Black People Politics : End of the white majority in 2044 - why are some afraid of this? Black People Politics 2
Fireman Black Positive People : How Black Farmers Are Trying To End Centuries Of Racism Black People Doing Positive Things 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : JPMorgan Will Pay $24 Million to End Lawsuit From Black Advisers Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
dunwiddat Black People : When will the Madness End Black People Open Forum 9
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Justices Thomas and Gorsuch Just Hinted They Would End Privacy as We Know It Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
R Black Poetry : oh no race at a slow pace but no lace time to go face a girl and ask for some, if i end up in a dumb Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Youtube is Struggling to End its FAKE-NEWS CRISIS: System Misfires, False Positives and Shooting Science and Technology 7
Marquis Davis Black Christians : 12 Signs of the End Times Christian Study Group 1
HODEE Black People : The end of net neutrality: What it all means Black People Open Forum 5
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : Evangelicals see Trump's Jerusalem move as key to 'end-times' Christian Study Group 10
Mario William vitale Black Poetry : Death isn't the end of the story Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
FINDLOVEINME Black Poetry : LOYALTY - TRUTH + INFIDELITY = THE END Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
S Black People : The End of America: Full Documentary Black People Open Forum 0
IFE Black People Politics : Petition to End Private Prisons Black People Politics 2
IFE Black People Politics : Will The Justice Department’s Decision To End Private Prisons Help Children? Black People Politics 0