Black People : They're calling it "The Blair Witch Project" at the New York Times

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by NNQueen, May 13, 2003.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Well, here we go again. Jayson Blair -- An African American journalist is accused of faking 36 out of 74 news articles at one of the world's leading newspapers.

If you've listened to recent reports of this incident, now you begin to see what the media is really thinking. . .words and questions are beginning to creep into the discussion that shows how America has no problems playing the RACE card when it serves its purpose! Yet when Johnnie Cochran does it, they always want to harp on the question, "why don't they just get over it?"

On the nightly news, these are some of the words used by the reporter . . .

minority
    affirmative action gone wrong
    in over his head
    not as qualified
    hired because he's Black
    will this be a "black mark" for all other "minority" journalists seeking opportunities at such high-powered newspapers?. . .

This is what's being reported about this situation. It's been suggested that the Editor-in-Chief of the NYT was a personal mentor of Blair's but when asked today whether that is true, now he denies ever having a close relationship with him. Are we surprised?

Supposedly Blair was GIVEN a very rare opportunity by having a position at the Times when there are so FEW minorities in those types of positions. Now he's on the front page of every major newspaper in the country and his face is spread across the network news involving a scandal.

Is this another way that Blacks are positioned to fail in America?

Is this another example of how the system attacks "affirmative action"?

2. Kitana

Kitana Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    NNQueen..

could you please provide some links so I can read some more about this situation..the subject interests me and I'd like to know more about it...thanks...

K

3. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Kitana, here is a news link that hopefully works,

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030512/ap_en_bu/globe_investigation_6

If not, just do a news search under his name and all sorts of articles will pop up.

I was watching the Chris Matthews program on MSNBC last night when he was debating with 3 different journalists (all White) when the discussion turned to Jayson's race. I'm not defending the brother if in fact what he did is true, but why is it that when a Black person is involved in these types of situations, the subject of race comes into play?

Interestingly also, I asked the question about whether people like Jayson are programmed to fail because when the journalists last night were discussing all the hoops a journalist goes through before the editor releases their articles for publication, they all questioned how any of his articles were able to get past the tough scrutiny test and make it in the printed paper. They all agreed that it's ALWAYS the case where a chief editor checks and re-checks validity of sources, comments made, references to anything that might be called into question. Now here you a young journalist where they're reporting that nearly 50% of his articles were riddled with false information! How can that be?

4. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity Well-Known Member MEMBER

System Administrator
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hey Queen...according to that article, there have been numerous instances of this behavior. Perhaps The Globe should redirect their energy into investigating their ethics, policies and procedures that seems to almost invite this kind of behavior with their reporters.

Was Jayson programmed to fail? I don't think so, but it seemed that the newspaper made it easy for him or anyone else to do so.

5. Nfant_De_Milieu

Nfant_De_Milieu Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I hardly watch the news because I know its bias but I did happend to catch a segment on this subject. It probably is an attack on affirmative action but what would you expect anything else from the media? I remember when the Million Man March was held I was working in Missouri. I had went home for my lunch break to see it at home. The only station showing it was of course B.E.T. Let a brotha commit a crime and he is on the front page of the newspaper, on every news channel, etc, but let us try to better ourselves and you hear nothing about it.

6. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    ZG...you're right, the news article is focusing on Jayson's behavior but that wasn't the point I was trying to make.

I'm not trying to judge the right or wrong of what Jayson allegedly did. My attention is on how the longer people talk about these things when it involves a non-white person, the conversation always seem to turn to "race." Why should it matter what race he is?

I posted the original message after watching the Chris Matthews program last night when this whole debate went on about Jayson being a Black man and what impact his actions might have on Blacks in the news reporting industry in the future.

"Was Jayson programmed to fail? I don't think so, but it seemed that the newspaper made it easy for him or anyone else to do so."

Good point. Now I'm wondering whether Jayson was hired because the company thought he was really qualified or because he was Black.

7. monetg

monetg Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Last week, The New York Times was being scrutinized about their reporting practices. This week we find out ONE Black reporter is responsible for submitting numerous false articles. Can anyone say "fall guy"?
    This is soooooo blatant--it's almost comical. By "scape-goating" Mr. Blair--this exonerates the NYT for false reporting and also allows them to discriminate in the future with the excuse, "well, you know what happened the last time we hired one of THEM!"
    If stories are so thoroughly checked before publication how was one man able to hood-wink the entire editorial staff? Also, since reporters are not mandated to reveal sources-exactly how thoroughly can a story be checked?

8. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity Well-Known Member MEMBER

System Administrator
    Ratings:
    +11
    It's always bout race ...

when a white person does something, we focus on race and they try to deflect it; when a black person does something, they focus on race and we try to deflect it....the difference is that they own the media so their voices are louder than ours.

Jayson actions have a greater impact on us than the impact a white person commiting the same would have on them...he is held at a higher standard with us because, indirectly he represents us. We have always felt that the indiscretions of a black person reflects the whole race (for whatever reason) and not just the individual...this is something I've always questioned, but can't get around it.

I don't think he was hired because he was black...he was hired because he was qualified to do the job...he chosed to do it "differently" (so to speak), whether the newspaper has a relaxed proof-reading, facts validation process or not...he is responsible for the content of his writings.

9. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    ZG..it ain't US waving the race card, it's THEM!!! To me that smells like....*sniff*....race-ISM!

10. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Of course this is an attack on Affirmative Action.... and also an attack on African Americans. I've watched two different reports about this; and to me this is just the same oh same oh--- how can anyone be surprised?
    You had a lacky type dude... who was in with the white folk; i.e. he was a tom (like say Larry Elders, or Armstrong Williams); and toms don't understand 2 things that I personally give White folk credit for; they may keep you for awhile as their pets-- if you behave like such; i.e. kiss their *****, tell them how smart, or beautiful they are, or they can prance you around (like a B) and you can do and say anything that they deem appropriate for the situation.... (and yes White folk are overall just like that... not all of them, not fair minded white folk, who may smile at the little jigaboos and hate them for being so...and I have history on my side, need me to elaborate?) and the second thing people like Blair wasn't taught; when in need, or they just get tired of you monkeying around them (and some White folk take this as an affront to their senses) they will cut your lackey balls off and feed'em to the wind (cause you see, you have already made yourself a pitiful laughing stock... your own community feels humiliated by you, and you have just learned that White Folk don't like you too much either)... ho hum... forget Blair.

Blacks are opening businesses and such at an alarming rate; more families tired of the miseducation of their kids are home tutoring or finding ways to open charter schools, or demanding that bad and uncertified teachers are not mained at the schools their kids attend...
    The attacks on AFF-ACT started the day it was made law... I do think that many people in position to hire, and who wanted the federal incentives to hire others (cuz we know Blacks were on the shortend of that stick); hire incompetent persons to make a point... and we don't seem to understand that.... that is some, but it has been proven and we should not miss the fact that most Blacks hire on AFF-ACT programs have succeeded...on the job and in education- these attacks are there to "hold us down"
    But! we cannot be, and if we just huddle up, bring some love to each other, and make an effort to help each other--- we will never have to deal with this bs again... we should do this so that our children never have to deal-- at all.
    But, alas, my friends I still have not changed my stance on Aff-Act; I still don't believe "we" need it-- as smart, creative and inventive as we are! But I think that it is the least thing that "we" (and only "we") deserve.

Peace