Black People Politics : These Arguments are a Mark of Our Liberty - (excerpts from Obama 2012 Acceptance Speech)

Destee

destee.com
destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
That’s why we do this. That’s what politics can be. That’s why elections matter. It’s not small, it’s big. It’s important. Democracy in a nation of 300 million can be noisy and messy and complicated. We have our own opinions. Each of us has deeply held beliefs. And when we go through tough times, when we make big decisions as a country, it necessarily stirs passions, stirs up controversy.

That won’t change after tonight, and it shouldn’t. These arguments we have are a mark of our liberty. We can never forget that as we speak people in distant nations are risking their lives right now just for a chance to argue about the issues that matter, the chance to cast their ballots like we did today.

Now, we will disagree, sometimes fiercely, about how to get there. As it has for more than two centuries, progress will come in fits and starts. It’s not always a straight line. It’s not always a smooth path.

By itself, the recognition that we have common hopes and dreams won’t end all the gridlock or solve all our problems or substitute for the painstaking work of building consensus and making the difficult compromises needed to move this country forward. But that common bond is where we must begin. Our economy is recovering. A decade of war is ending. A long campaign is now over.

::
::

I found the above to be oh so very powerful ... excerpts from Obama's Acceptance Speech.

Worthy of repeating.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

adding Sister Queenie's quote too ... it almost matches! ... :toast:

I honestly don't believe that anyone here actually "hates" President Obama. I think some are very disappointed in him for reasons they have clearly stated and are strongly opposed to a political system that doesn't work to our benefit. I can't be upset with anyone here for speaking up for what they believe in or acting on their beliefs when it comes to voting or who they want to vote for. I'm not going to go so far as to say that I might like their choices, but I will at least accept their right to choose and try to respect that.

There are way more important issues for us to deal with as Black people and regardless of which side of the political aisle we stand on, I think everyone here recognizes that and places our survival as a people very high on our list of priorities.

There are days when I just get so darn tired of always having to think about being Black. It's draining to say the least. All of the BS around this presidential election seems to have heightened people's sensitivities and rear racism's ugly head large and ugly. If there was ever any doubt to anyone that, in America, race is a factor in one's daily life or that racism is alive and functioning in almost everything we do, this election seems to have blown the cover off the boiling pot. The comments that I've read since the election are extremely disturbing as people seem no longer willing to speak in politically correct terms.

Whether democrat, republican, christian, muslim, rich or poor...if you're Black, we're all viewed the same. A battle seems to be eminent and we need to stand together!

Peace and :heart:

:heart:

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back