Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : there isn't one type of hair

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by pinkfighter, Sep 28, 2009.

1. pinkfighter

pinkfighter Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm 100% black. Both my parents are black. Yet, my features seem to say otherwise. My hair is naturally wavy/curly and very soft to the touch, even softer than some white people. Since my hair doesn't fallow the norm of hair type that black women should have, people find it hard to believe I'm black. Everyone thinks i'm Indian. Why can't people realize african people have all types of hairs. And, yes, some types are more common than the rest but all types exist nevertheless. Not all my family members have the same type of hair, a lot of them have the conventional "nappy/course" hair which they despise so they always make a point to straighten their hair. I rebelled against my mother and continue to leave my hair natural and i love it. it's funny when people find out i'm black then ask me if my hair is real.

2. tay_tay225

tay_tay225 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    I never thought we did, but why not?

White people have different types of hair. =\

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    so true we do have different kinds of hair

4. Tiye

Tiye Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I didn't know there was a black hair norm.

I don't have "conventional" hair either - whatever that's supposed to mean - but no one has ever mistaken me for anything but black African.

Some think I have extensions and I've been asked what kind of hair I use coz they think it's something you can buy from the beauty supply store - but it's just the stuff that grows out of my scalp in good ole fashioned locs.

5. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    :10500: Different grades of hair.

I noticed that a long time ago.

6. kde

kde Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +188
    "Grades" of hair is a slavish way of putting it. We say it without realizing what's being said.

Anyway, people also try to act obtuse when it comes to knowing what "typical" black hair looks like, feels like, acts like. It is now labeled as Type 4 (A, B or C) hair. It's the hair that frizzes, zig zags, needs moisture, holds styles well (locks, braids). You can read more about it here: http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types.

My husband and I have type 4 hair. Our older daughter does as well. However, our younger child has hair unlike any of us. It's certainly in the type 3 category (looser, softer curls, less apt to hold styles for long), and we were pretty surprised at it, only to begin thinking about other, older family members and realizing that our grandparents on both sides had wavy,curly hair.

Most black folks know that our hair textures come in all varieties. The element of surprise usually enters when the hair is so long or voluminous that it's authenticity is questioned. That's sad and shows how dependent our people have become on weaves and "styling" our hair rather than caring for it.

7. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    LMAO :SuN049: slavish way? hmmm ooookay TYPE , GRADE whatever....You know what I mean

8. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Below is a video by a Sister name, KaShEeRaLaTaSh's. In her video she explains how to determine your hair type. I'm gonna add her channel address as well if you'd like to check out other idea's she may have for natural haircare.

Her youtube channel is:

http://www.youtube.com/user/KaShEeRaLaTaSh

Below is the hair type video:

I hope this help you determine the best products for your hair type!

Thank you Kasheralatash's!

:heart:

9. Mikha'el

Mikha'el Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +246
    You have a point I encounter the same thing. I'm very light and people question my ethnicity at times. My mom's hair is very soft manageable n straight. My dad had straight more managable hair. My hair is very coarse dry n thick. But I do take care of it when im not lazy lol

10. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +877
    So true. I can't tell you how many times I'm asked if I have a curl or a weave when my hair is natural. It really bugs me because my own people will ask me these questions, so we have been programmed to believe "black hair" is only one way and if it isn't, it's been manipulated. I'm curious, does anyone know of a natural hair show?