Black Spirituality Religion : The Zulu soul and Ena.

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by I-khan, Mar 3, 2007.

1. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    warning: the following contains much symbolism (or does it?) so do not take this at face value...

source:Vusamazulu Mutwa( any of his books)

We believe that man does not posess a speacial soul exclusive to himself. All souls are the same and Man is but one of many forms or reincarnations which every soul must pass through. The soul of an impala you saw may have once inhabited the body of someone you once knew. (...)

Once during my initiation as a witchdoctor , my spiritual guide took me by the hand and said to me, "Look into my eyes, and I will show you a human soul. Your brain will sleep, and you will take a brief journey into the land of Tura-ya Moya. Do not be afraid. Just look into my eyes....."

Gradually the voice of the wise woman faded into the dim distance; eventually it seemd to be whispereing from beyond the furthest star. Then, in the windows of her eyes , I saw a plain, as bleak and barren as the crisscrossed yawing fissures. In the shimmering disctance I saw mountains of tremendous height and frightening cragginess.

Then from the dark blue heavens I saw large spheres of transparent ice slowly floating down. There were scores of them, some with pairs of wings like the wings of dragonflies. My heart longed to be among those things. I wanted to be one of them, to go whereever they were going. Something in me fluttered, wanting to escape, fluterring like a captive bird.

I strained my eyes to see those floating spheres more clearly. Each was about the size of a mans head, and was perfectly round. Inside eache were 2 worms, one red and the other blue.These worms were never still for a moment but constantly intertwined, separated, intertwined again.

The vision at last faded, and I found mysel back beside the wise woman, my hand still in hers, and her eyes piercing mine. she was covered with perspiration, and pated as though she had been running for a long distance. Then, when she had rested for a momebt , she explained:

" My son, you have seen with your very eyes what a sould looks like. Those orbs you saw which had wings were female and those without wings were male. The wormlike creatures which you saw insed each orb were Good(blue) and Evil (red). Every soul must have both these principles, equally balanced- without this perfect balance the soul would die. If, for instance, a man should have only good qualities in him, he would have no reason to exist at all; if only bad, he would be automatically destroyed.

This is why very good people never live long. The 2 worms are always quarrelling inside each soul, and if one worm damages the other seriously, that sould becomes unbalanced, and can no longer survive in a world where balance between Good and Evil is the norm."

We believe that a human being, or an animal, has something else in addition to the soul; it has an Ena. this can be translated quite simply as a self. ( in the bantu languages, myself is mi-ena,usually shortened to mina.)
    When a child is born,it does not have and Ena- this grows up slowly, built up of memories and thoughts and experience, as the child grows. if you were to see an Ena, you would find that it looked exactly like the person it belonged to, although not of flesh and blood- it looks as if made from a transparent mist. When you see what many fools think is the ghost of a departed person, it is not that persons soul you are seeing, but his Ena. The Ena is not immortal
    ; it lives on for a time after the death of the body, and can often be seen, especially when it is simmoned up by witchdoctors from the land of the spirits, to be consulted in times of trouble and asked to pray to the gods for us.

An Ena must eat to grow and live, just as the body must. While a man lives, he eats both for his body and his Ena, and when he dies his Ena will die to unless it can still continue to eat. If we do not scrigice cows and goats regularly so that the Enas of these animals go to feed the Enas of our ancestors, our ancestors will go into a state of non-existence. So we teach our people; in fact the Enas of the departed are nourished by the homage their descendantes pay to them in their thougts alone- the sacrifices merely ensure that such homages in thought are conscientiolusly paid.

to be cont........

2. nibs

nibs Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +22
    (I-khan) - We believe that a human being, or an animal, has something else in addition to the soul; it has an Ena. this can be translated quite simply as a self. ( in the bantu languages, myself is mi-ena,usually shortened to mina.)

this is similar to the ka & the ba. the ka is viewed as the spiritual double of the body, and the ba is associated with the higher soul. after death it is necessary to keep the ba & ka united for that identity to persist.

(I-khan) - An Ena must eat to grow and live, just as the body must. While a man lives, he eats both for his body and his Ena, and when he dies his Ena will die to unless it can still continue to eat. If we do not scrigice cows and goats regularly so that the Enas of these animals go to feed the Enas of our ancestors, our ancestors will go into a state of non-existence. So we teach our people;

this correlates to the idea that the spiritual essence of the food is what feeds the ancestors. that spirits are not able to take possession of "things" and thus these must be given, as offerings.

(I-khan) - in fact the Enas of the departed are nourished by the homage their descendantes pay to them in their thougts alone- the sacrifices merely ensure that such homages in thought are conscientiolusly paid.

brother oldsoul touched on this in one of his classes. that it was the action itself that nourishes our ancestors.
    this touches on the idea that you aren't truly "dead" until your name is forgotten. in contrast, the offerings allow the ena to grow stronger.

this also touches on how many offerings can be eaten after a period of time after they are dedicated.

this can even been seen in the bible where jeremiah states that "the lord never asked for burnt sacrifices"; which amusingly contradicts laws in exodus, leviticus & deuteronomy.

hotep.

3. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    cont.

The Enas of our ancestors must remain alive, so that we can ask their advice about problems we encounter, and pray for us to the gods,But it is not strictly true that we worship our ancestors.It woulld be more true to say that they worship us. We who combine flesh,mind,soul and Ena are much more fortunate than the Enas of those who are dead.In the land of Forever-Night, where all Enas go after death, the Ena is the most helpless thing in creation.Nothing grows in those cold deserts of Tura-ya-Moya, so that the Ena is intirely dependent on those who are still living to send it nourishment, If, after a certain length of time, the relatives af an ena have not sacrificed a cow or a goat to it, that Ena exists no longer, which is a terrible fate.

For this reason, it is a mans first duty in life to ensure that the Enas of his ancestors will not die through lack of descendants. He must have at least three wives, and as many children as his loins and the gods allow him.

The first sign that a man gets that the Enas of his ancestors are hungry is that he dreams continualy of old men and women who assail him every night.