Black Christians : The Woman With The Alabaster Box

Discussion in 'Christian Study Group' started by cherryblossom, Aug 18, 2009.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Which Mary washed Jesus' feet?
    In: New Testament

Answer
    It is not known who the woman was in Luke 7:37-50, just that she was "a woman... who was a sinner" ie prostitute.

LUKE 7:
    [37] And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment,
    [38] And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.
    [39] Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner.
    [40] And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on.
    [41] There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty.
    [42] And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most?
    [43] Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged.
    [44] And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head.
    [45] Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.
    [46] My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment.
    [47] Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.
    [48] And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.
    [49] And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also?
    [50] And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

It is not Mary (the sister of Martha and Lazarus) because although it is similar to the events in Matthew 26:6-13 where Mary (the sister of Martha and Lazarus) annointed Jesus, that was in Bethany and the " woman... who was a sinner" in Luke 7 was in Galilee. It is very unlikely that it was Mary Magdalene either because she was mentioned by name only three verses later in Luke 8:3 and Luke, the careful historian, doesn't add anything to identify or explain her such as "Mary Magdalene, who washed Jesus feet in Simon's house"; also, although she had demons cast out of her there is no evidence Mary Magdalene was a prostitute.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_Mary_washed_Jesus'_feet

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Truth!

sister cherryblossom,

In fact, the significance of the scripture cited by the source you provided, Matthew 26: 13, specifically, has very profound importance to the Church and the Christian. It is to this very scripture, Matthew 26: 13, about which my single reason for posting, seeks to impart the often overlooked memorial to her.

The background finds Jesus/Yashua chastising Judas for scolding Mary about wasting the precious oil. This ends with the messiah commanding that a memorial be made to her for the annointing work of his burial. Since the burial is integrally one of the five points in the gospel of good news(birth, death, burial, resurrection and ascension), it is ordered that when preaching the gospel, there shall also be this, that this woman has done, be told as a memorial of her.

Here is what makes the above problematic, most Christians by fault of pastors and seminaries are clueless as to not only who the woman was, but also the failure of the Church to properly memorialized her when preaching the gospel. This dangerous deletion only serves to bring serious consequences, and points simultaneously to the greater condemnation of the men/women masters(teachers) of God's word responsible for expunging the commandment. Strangely enough, Christendom, which is to say Catholicism, attempted such a memorial, but with the wrong Mary, the mother of Jesus/Yashua through the Rosary.

Matthew 26: 13​

Verily I say unto you. Wheresover
    this gospel shall be preached in the
    whole world, there shall also this, that
    this women hath done, be told for a
    memorial of her.​

3. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

I very seriously doubt that "jesus" would want to have a memorial MADE for this Mary seeing how the by-bill's own 10 commandments mentions something about worshipping idols besides "god". I feel that he meant to let no one forget what she had done (just as he clearly stated).....which is why he immidiately shut simon down with the parable when he called the woman a sinner!

In regards to which Mary it was, i think it's safe to say that it's the one who would later become his wife and would also come with his mother, her step-mother mary to the tomb........

Ya'shua ben Yo'sef

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Info-moetry,

Are you serious? Brother, here is a reminder of what this Forum should be about:

Black/African Study of Spiritual Belief Systems In this forum, we select texts surrounding a particular belief system, and study them for a month (or 3), from our own Black/African perspectives, with the goal of identifying truths or wisdom contained therein.

While you appear to be respectful and all, your statements are contradictory to the attributes of studying, and identifying truths or wisdom from a Christian perspective. Typically, no Christian, whether here at Destee.com or outside, accepts the asserted asumptions and allegations you have shared in the thread.

5. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486

whoa! somebody woke up on the wrong side of jericho this morning.

What i stated/presented was too add on to the discussion already in progress. I am confused as too what has sent you into such a tizzy in my earlier statement. Anything i presented can be researched or investigated which is the purpose of any "study group", no?

I did not add, nor take away anything from the scriptures presented before i joined the conversation as you chose to do. I simply clarified what you seemed to have convieniently failed to read of "jesus'" statement in the verse presented for STUDY!

- did i not study the text presented and correct your error, then place something on the table connected to the verses of said individual (Mary) in said study that can lead us to further proof of exactly who that MARY was that washed her tears off of jesus' feet! Or are you telling me you don't want me involved regardless of what i have to offer by way of my own perspective as a Black/Afrikan and my identification of truths or wisdom contained therein.

Appear to be respectful? what statements are you referring too as my post was not even all that long....?
    am i not giving the view from a christian perspective? Or are you alone the judge of what is or is not the thoughts of a Christian?

-and here you go speaking for the world again! If all christians have the same view of the same scriptures why are there so many different sects and by-bill's?

Well, for arguments sake I guess i'm not your "typical Christian"....

now, enough of that. Let's continue!

- Yes, I am Sirius

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Below is the one portion of my quote that you failed to address, properly and no one is to do research for you. In my view, anything contrary to accepted Christian principles, which is the case of your allegations, simply continue the typical back and forth that goes on in the open forums. Besides, your views here tend to create controversy rather than study and identification of truth and wisdom, which is the sole intent of this Christian Study Group sub-forum:

Typically, no Christian, whether here at Destee.com or outside, accepts the asserted asumptions and allegations you have shared in the thread.

At this point, someone other than me will have to make an assessment of our dialogue. For example, I don't recognize the term by-bill, would you explain the meaning to whoever moderates our side-bar discussion?

7. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    lol - for the record, i entered this dialogue to study with you not be harrassed by you... which is evident by my ADDING on to the discussion to help solve the mystery of who this Mary was which you seemed unable to do!which happens to be the title of the thread, right?

now you are trying to turn this into something else and even "dry snitching" with no evidence waiting for the police to come in and arrest your brother who only tried to help you.....are those 30 talents as heavy as they say they are?

- once again you misread and try to mislead, i have never asked anyone to do research for me. The research is already done, just trying to help you catch up.....

surely you are above such clyde, less you be seen as not knowing what it is that you are talking about when new info is presented using the scriptures in question... ..

your convienient amnesia strikes again....and you PURPOSELY left my response to the following out of your reply to what you quoted from me...but here it is again for you as i know emotions can cloud the "eye"....

- and here you go speaking for the world again! If all christians have the same view of the same scriptures why are there so many different sects and by-bill's?

Well, for arguments sake I guess i'm not your "typical Christian".... - didn't you see this the first time, or are you hoping people will just take your "word"....

The above in bold is from my previous post/response where i tried to move on from your nonsense and continue the topic of study...

- to whomever? I'll explain it to you as i have in the past to others...The reason i spell it By-bill is because most of us were taught to use the King James Version of the Bible which was written By-Bill. Bill had a bible out years before under his full name which is why King james hired him to oversee his version.....ain't no more to it, nothing sinister! It is what it is...

Can we continue to study now?

it's your brother, "don't u recognize me"

8. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560

Would you provide some further information on "By-Bill?" What was "Bill's" last name?

The title page to the 1611 first edition of the Authorized Version Bible:
    [​IMG]

9. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560

Brother Info-Moetry, I couldn't find "By-Bill" anywhere.

Please give me some direction to that information.

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,683
    Brother Info-Moetry ... you are being disrespectful in this post. Disrespecting the purpose and standards of this particular forum, as well as the beliefs of those Members choosing to honor and live by the Bible, Jesus, and all it entails.

You have made it clear on more than one occasion, that this path is not for you, yet you want to follow these two over here ... to the protected area, where they are free and welcome to discuss their life choices in peace ... to put "jesus" in quotation marks and lowercased, while giving the Bible some whole new name ... very ugly implications, that even if you tried to defend, anyone with half a mind would be able to see through.

So please, just stop it.

If you must be a stumbling block for what this Sister and Brother are doing, catch them in the open forums, where the same standards as this forum, do not apply.

This is a warning.

Thank You.

:heart:

Destee