OldSoul : The Whiteness of Memory in “The Help” VS the Ugly Realities of Jim and Jane Crow America

OldSoul

Permanent Black Man
PREMIUM MEMBER
May 16, 2002
Bronzeville USA
www.BLACKLAND.ORG
Occupation
Staying Alive
Inconvenient Facts: The Whiteness of Memory in “The Help” Versus the Ugly Realities of Jim and Jane Crow America

Stockett’s novel presented a vision of segregation in service of a feel-good story, but the film version of The Help is even more distant from the virulence of American racism. Its villains, Junior League bigots who wear smart little suits to cover their scales, are so cartoonish that viewers won’t risk recognizing themselves or echoes of their behavior in them.

The heroines—a privileged, liberal, white Mississippi woman named Skeeter Phelan (Emma Stone) and two black domestic workers, Aibileen Clark (Viola Davis) and Minny Jackson (a particularly good Octavia Spencer)—are much easier to identify with. The project that brings them together, a secret oral history of maids’ lives in Jackson, may spotlight the domestic side of racism.

But other than a mention of unenforced minimum-wage laws and a scene of the aftermath of Medgar Evers’ murder, the movie is disengaged with the public legal framework that let white women treat their white servants dreadfully in private. In The Help, whether you’re black or white, liberation’s just a matter of improving your self-esteem.

Like Captain America: The First Avenger and X:Men: First Class, The Helpappears to be one more data point in which the white washing of history and nostalgic memory are ways of dishonestly negotiating racial realities in post-Civil Rights, Age of Obama America.

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Thank you both ... Brothers OldSoul and Monetary.

I have an interesting story to share about this book.

My Daughter bought, read, liked, and passed the book on to me ... about 7 months ago.

I was like, okay ... my baby likes this ... gave it to me ... let me read it.

I couldn't get past the first few pages ... and have still not been inspired to move beyond them!

What got me ... was the ebonics ... they were so fake, so white ... i knew immediately ... somebody's try'n way too hard, to sound Black. So i checked the author out, and saw that they were white ... which in itself is not a problem ... but to be writing whole books, that mimic the language, if you will, of my people ... c'mon now ... at least be halfway look'n all authentic!

I am a lover of ebonics ... and i was soooo turned off by this book ... for the sloppy job they did.

I was offended ... at just that ... my Daughter has asked me a few times since, how is it coming ... and my response is the same ... i wasn't feeling the fake white ebonic attempt, right inside the cover ... and have not been able to get past it.

My issue with the book has nothing to do with the rest of the content ... i couldn't even get there.

Love You and Thanks for sharing yall! :grouphug:

:heart:

Destee

chuck

Aug 9, 2003
Inconvenient Facts: The Whiteness of Memory in “The Help” Versus the Ugly Realities of Jim and Jane Crow America

Stockett’s novel presented a vision of segregation in service of a feel-good story, but the film version of The Help is even more distant from the virulence of American racism. Its villains, Junior League bigots who wear smart little suits to cover their scales, are so cartoonish that viewers won’t risk recognizing themselves or echoes of their behavior in them.

The heroines—a privileged, liberal, white Mississippi woman named Skeeter Phelan (Emma Stone) and two black domestic workers, Aibileen Clark (Viola Davis) and Minny Jackson (a particularly good Octavia Spencer)—are much easier to identify with. The project that brings them together, a secret oral history of maids’ lives in Jackson, may spotlight the domestic side of racism.

But other than a mention of unenforced minimum-wage laws and a scene of the aftermath of Medgar Evers’ murder, the movie is disengaged with the public legal framework that let white women treat their white servants dreadfully in private. In The Help, whether you’re black or white, liberation’s just a matter of improving your self-esteem.

Like Captain America: The First Avenger and X:Men: First Class, The Helpappears to be one more data point in which the white washing of history and nostalgic memory are ways of dishonestly negotiating racial realities in post-Civil Rights, Age of Obama America.

chuck

Aug 9, 2003
EVen among our own folk, some do want to remember black/white relations of simpler days, as contrasted to the horrors some lived thru, during the Civil Rights Movement...They aren't bad people: They are wrongheaded anyway...Be forgiving though not forgetting of the difference between how they choose to reflect on the past as opposed to your own...FYI...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Perfection Black People Politics : In Context Series: Prosthetics of Whiteness-- Drone Psychosis Black People Politics 0
Liberty Black People : Embracing Whiteness Won’t Save You Black People Open Forum 8
Al D Black People : 'Whiteness History Month' Black People Open Forum 8
Isaiah Black People : ABOLISHING WHITENESS... Black People Open Forum 1
J Black Poetry : Only you have unforgettable beauty, it is eternal in my memory. It shines clearly in my mind and subconscious mind - this is the best I've seen in my Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
OldSoul OldSoul : Skylark - In Memory of Queen OldSoul 0
Hetheru Oshun Black People : Emotional Manipulation and Abuse Along with Selective Memory and Reasoning Black People Open Forum 0
MsInterpret Black People : Stephen Wiltshire: Awesome guy can drawn by memory! Black People Open Forum 1
Kemetstry Science and Technology : COLD SORE LINKED TO MEMORY LOSS Science and Technology 20
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : Back Down Memory Lane by Minnie Riperton Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
OldSoul OldSoul : 18 - Dedicated to the memory of Trayvon Martin OldSoul 2
Fine1952 Black People : "In Loving Memory of Malcolm X" Black People Open Forum 5
macoo Health and Wellness : Fish and memory Black Health and Wellness 7
info-moetry Black People : Poster Boycott.............in memory of Dr. King! Black People Open Forum 74
info-moetry Audio Video Web Conferencing : Hip Hop - A trip down memory lane Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
blackeyes Nigeria : Nigeria gets IQ, memory-enhancing drug Nigeria 7
MsInterpret Health and Wellness : Brain Excercises to Improve Memory Black Health and Wellness 0
A Black People : Improve Memory and Intelligence Black People Open Forum 91
cherryblossom Black Entertainment : Back Down Memory Lane.. Black Entertainment 142
O Black Sports : THE TEN WORST SPORTS UNIFORMS IN RECENT MEMORY Black Sports 8
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : IN MEMORY AND HONOR OF THE HONORABLE MARCUS GARVEY Chief Elder Osiris 0
C Black People : The memory pill Black People Open Forum 6
D Black People : IN MEMORY OF 9/11: LOOSE CHANGE Black People Open Forum 7
Destee Black People : SLAVE DUNGEONS / PLACES OF MEMORY Black People Open Forum 0
S Black Poetry : A TRIP TO THA CORNER STO.....A JOG DOWN MEMORY LANE Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 13
C Black Poetry : MEMORY LOST ME Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
Fine1952 Black People : In Loving Memory... Black People Open Forum 3
Isaiah Black People : KEEPING THE MEMORY OF KATRINA FRESH IN OUR MINDS... Black People Open Forum 10
watzinaname Science and Technology : Purchasing Memory Science and Technology 21
Bluewater Black Poetry : In Memory of Momma Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 14
B Black Poetry : MY MEMORY Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
T Black Poetry : face memory Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
MzBlkAngel Black Poetry : back down memory lane..... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
L Black Poetry : A Memory in my eye Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
S Black Poetry : CHERISHED MEMORY Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
B Black Poetry : in bittersweet memory Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
Aaliyahmonet Black Poetry : In Memory of Laci Peterson Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Aaliyahmonet Black People : In Loving Memory of E2 Victims Black People Open Forum 3
L Black Poetry : In Memory Of (Never 2 Love Again) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
Aaliyahmonet Black Poetry : In Memory of Da Columbia Astronauts Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
Aaliyahmonet Black Poetry : In Loving Memory of Nell Carter Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
P Black Poetry : Bamboozled(In Loving Memory of M.L.K) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
Aaliyahmonet Black Poetry : In Loving Memory Of Thaman Foster- 12-5-02 Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
P Black Poetry : When thou Passest through the waters; Dedicated to the memory of Mother Pearl Bolds Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
Aaliyahmonet Black Poetry : In Loving Memory(aaliyah-aug.25th 2002) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
D Black Poetry : make a memory Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
alyce Black Poetry : De ja Vu? (or Ancestral Memory) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Bishop Black Poetry : In Memory of ArchAngel - from the Afronet Days Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
Bishop Black Poetry : Transition: In Memory of Robert C. Bass by Bishop and Watcher Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
L Black Poetry : Colored Dreams in the memory of a Kiss. Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6