Black People : The white voice

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Radical Faith, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    Family here's a question. Why do we talk with our "white voice" while conducting business on the phone? Have you all seen or heard people do this? Do some of you do this? Have you ever heard a brother or sister gave someone the "white laugh" on the phone? Please share your thoughts.

Peace

Radical Faith

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Brother Radical Faith ... at first, i thought this was a real weird question. But upon further thought (white voice rite dere yall) ... i think i may understand what you're saying.

Black folk have always had to adjust themselves when around White folk. We have always had to assimilate into their worlds, never them into ours. As far back as slavery, when Black folk were around White folk ... if we wanted to live, eat, and simply be treated like the animals that White folk thought we were ... we had to say and do the things that White folk wanted us to, in a manner that was pleasing to them. I could provide many examples of this, but i think most Black folk already know 'em. We could never relax and simply be ourselves, we had to wait until we were back home and with our own, to do that ... be ourselves.

There is much truth to what you suggest, in regard to being around them ... depending on the environment. For example, if you're at work, a professional setting, you can't talk like you're at home laying on the couch watch'n tv. You're usually in their world, expecting to get paid on their job, so you gotta do it the way they want it done. So we talk, walk, and do whatever else is necessary to get that check (i'm sure we all have limits, relax yall).

I have seen where an obviously less educated Sister or Brother tries to talk more educated, when in their doctor's office, hospital, or a setting surrounded primarily by educated White professionals. They don't wanna be sound'n all outta place n stuff, so they try to use words (and perhaps even tones) that they think fit the situation / discussion ... instead of keeping it real and making them highly paid professionals do their job and make it easy for them to understand! But it is always us that must make the adjustments, never them.

This is not to suggest that Black folk aren't educated and professional all by themselves, with absolutely no influence from Whites. Don't get it twisted yall, i was jes' try'n ta make a point. :)

I've often thought how great an actor our people have had to be. At home, with our own people, we are one entirely different group of folk (laughing, talking, relaxing, everything), than we are when required to put on whatever character is necessary to get or keep the job that we need to sustain our lives and families.

How is it that Hollywood is filled with so many White actors, when there is no people that can act as well as we can. I think this even contributes to the ill health of the Black Family. Always having to be something that we're not, because what we are, is not acceptable ... and perhaps as you suggest Brother Radical Faith ... even down to our voices.

I don't think Black Folk can really have a white voice, for they will forever be Black (to White people), their voice and all that is in them. What they may have is a voice that is more pleasing to White folk, and to the part of themselves that seek to please White folk ... but the Blackness that is all within them, can't ever be completely white-washed over (ask Michael if you don't believe me).

Brother Radical Faith ... i'd like to invite you to come into the chat room and let me hear your voice ... hopefully your Black, relaxed, comfortable one ... since you're at home! :wink:

Family Come on into voice chat ... great production debut tonight ... THE BLACK FAMILY NEWS @ 9 pm ET TONIGHT!

Great topic Brother Radical. I can imagine that i took it places you did not intend, if so, i hope you enjoyed it! :)

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    i've heard it more then i like and i always look and smh ! :uhoh:
    quickly trying not to go there but i'm from the heart of the
    getto and all that proper talk just kills me , i asked why and was told
    (it's professionalism)
    I define it .........proper talk :: belonging characteristically to an individual of false change
    in the manner of speech talking .

but a few seconds ago you was black talking getto, is it not also to be professionalism
    in the comfort of your own bruthas and sista's in speech ? :?:

i was told ::
    they understand it better through slang ! :nono:

i'm still confused by that statement , i am who i am and i will talk as i do
    i'm not stupid nor am i slow i speak clear and not the A+ english but never proper
    i need not impress no one accept me as i am ... :uhoh:

i have no clue why the white voice come out of folks who know they don't talk that way
    but front like they so professional .......getto get back !
    to me it's shameful so i dread not.

4. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    " I have seen where an obviously less educated Sister or Brother tries to talk more educated, when in their doctor's office, hospital, or a setting surrounded primarily by educated White professionals. "

Can't escape this one Radical...we can never come up with a work around. At least I don't think so.

Destee this made me think of Lil John spoof done by Dave Chappell. He was in the doctors office, being examined. Everytime he answered the doctor he got intelligent. Yea! Yea!

I have that video.. makes me laugh evertime. lol

I use my white voice. All the time. So it is me. What I try not to add to my vocabulary is cursing. I keep the speech clean. But I communicate no different in circles of friends. Black or otherwise. I do know of the professional white voice used. My wife had an interview once, where she was told the job was available, when she arrived to interview the employer told her it was filled. I called right after she told me about the incident. The job was still available. My wife says using your white voice is what GETS YOU PAID!

I have no problem with speech , ebonics or otherwise. If that is what you have to offer I can go there and understand ya! It is unfair to hold language against our children, when most of us grew up in the south , and picked up that drool they spoke. Paul Lawrence Dunbar.. I grew up on his poetry.

It was total ebonics. Well written, and accepted by scholars as great works of poetry.

Right on for the phone and white voice... now the white laugh.. I don't do. That is laughing when it clearly isn't funny. Laughing just to fit in. That is a sell out of some sort.

I have not been critized by brothers about how I speak.. but I have seen and heard brothers make comments about this as selling out and acting white. I'm black.. all black.. never going back.. to slurring but never giving up my identity.

5. 1hotvirgowoman

1hotvirgowoman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    I have a question then. What is the difference between talking "White" and speaking proper English?. I remember being made fun of by my siblings for so-called "talkin' White", I told them just because I don't talk in slang like they do doesn't make me trying to talk "White".Mind you, I did not twist my voice to Speak like a white person, I simply used my words in the way it was supposed to be presented. I believe in speaking proper English - not like a White girl, just proper English.

6. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    Speaking proper english shouldn't be considered talking white.

I've noticed that asians and latinos that are born in this country sound just like white people when they're on the phone, and when talking to them face to face. I don't think they're pretending when they talk to me. So, why do we consider speaking properly a sell out and talking white when these other groups don't?? :thinking:

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    porper english is a good thing and so many of us need to speak it correctly
    pose to talking white with this tone and even line of speech i will never do
    the different is like sitting in a chair we seem to slop down not sitting str8 upward

the differents to me is :
    proper english spoken is using words correctly in a sentence
    talking white is using the proper tone used to speak using words
    your voice change to this lighter softer squeeky tone

slang or sluggest words or grammer to speak like this ( Li - bare - ry )
    when it's properly spoken ( Li- bra - ry ) but when using a tone of voice
    and saying it correctly and proper it become speaking white .

i Hope y'all get what i'm saying or expressing here .

8. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    I talk the same all the time....but then again people think I sound white.

The only time I feel I make an effort to change how my voice sounds is when I'm recording voice messages for my job...but I call that my BUSINESS VOICE and not a WHITE voice. Ironically my so called business voice ends up making me sound like I'm 12 years old. Go figure!

9. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Talking white and talking black is just like either talking spanish or talking german. In the Black Community, we/they are born and raised to 'talk slang', I don't see what the issue. Just because the majority of brainwashed African-Americans talk slang does not mean that we ALL have to talk slang. This is just another one of those issues like:
    If you are black and you listen to rock-n-roll music, then you are white!

It does not make a difference to me. All of a sudden it is wrong to show Professional courtesy, common courtesy and what not just because white folks do it? It is not black, and it is not white or yellow or red or whatever; it is Polite. Since when was there a problem with being Polite? It is showing that you have manners? In Business, it is polite to answer the phone with professional courtesy.

In conclusion, I just want to leave this post understanding what the BIG problem is with conducting yourselves in a professional manner. If anything, why don't we learn some African languages and conduct ourselves to eachother like that instead of using slang? But that will be too hard.

Cedric Denson

10. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137

The "white voice" is not necessarily proper english or grammatical accuracy. The "white voice" is more about the tone in your voice and the enunciation of words.