Black People Politics : The US should consider reparations to A-A descendants of slavery, a UN working group said Friday

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Deserved Reparations,

The United States should consider reparations to African-American descendants of slavery, a United Nations working group said Friday

WASHINGTON (AP) — The United States should consider reparations to African-American descendants of slavery, establish a national human rights commission and publicly acknowledge that the trans-Atlantic slave trade was a crime against humanity, a United Nations working group said Friday.

The U.N. Working Group of Experts on People of African Descent released its preliminary recommendations after more than a week of meetings with black Americans and others from around the country, including Baltimore, Chicago, New York City, the District of Columbia and Jackson, Mississippi ...

http://www.usnews.com/news/politics...oup-suggests-us-work-on-racial-reconciliation

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
  3. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    Thanks for posting!

I'm so curious though, why would they make this statement now, after president Obama has been in office for 8 years. Certainly, it is obvious that we as Black people should have Reparations on the books, but I wonder why now would they make this statement, when President Obama said, that he didn't agree with it, when he first ran for office, and there is a reason why I'm thinking about this; Hillary.

I'm wondering if these meetings now on Reparations have to do with Ms. Clinton running for president and is it to try and make her look good, or better than Obama? Just a thought.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Enjoyed Enjoyed x 1
    • Love It Love It x 1
    • List
  4. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

yvw Chevron!

Good point concerning Hillary, but I think not, and here's why.

Hillary and Bernie both have made their positions against monetary distribution clear and known. Neither, same as Mr. Obama, would attempt to push that issue through Congress.

And it need not be done that way either, so, no President is as responsible as we are to motivate the general public to get in behind the justification of deserved reparations.

Just as the Black Lives Matter movement is multicultural, so will theReparations movement be. There are plenty of white folk that support us against Police Brutality, as there will also be toward gaining Reparations. We have to continue to make the case and put it before the people.

What you missed me saying also was this ... We the People must make this happen, not a President.

https://destee.com/threads/bernie-a...-slavery-reparations.85377/page-2#post-940440

As you witness, by way of this article, the climate is changing rapidly towards Reparations for Black Folk.

Here's proof below to my last statement and I hope you like it. If so, say so, k?:)

Analysis of racial polling shows whites more aware of racism

PHILADELPHIA — More white Americans now share the view, long held by minorities, that racism is a national problem and should be confronted, according to an analysis of recent public opinion polling ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...9fa2b2-c552-11e5-b933-31c93021392a_story.html

Post link to above excerpt:

https://destee.com/threads/hispanic-racism-and-other-forms-go-unreported.82096/page-67#post-941088

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  5. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    Maybe more Op-Ed's will be written about this historic feat.

Statement to the media by the United Nations’ Working Group of Experts on People of African Descent, on the conclusion of its official visit to USA, 19-29 January 2016

... The Working Group regrets that it did not receive access according to the terms of reference for special procedure mandate holders to visit Mississippi State Penitentiary Parchman. It also regrets that it was not possible to meet with all of the high level state and local level authorities requested.

The views expressed in this statement are of a preliminary nature, our findings and recommendations will be presented in our mission report to the United Nations Human Rights Council in September 2016 ...

http://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=17000&LangID=E

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

UN group recommends 'reparatory justice' for African Americans

The UN Working Group of Experts on People of African Descent criticized disparities in wealth, health care, and criminal justice for African Americans

... The working group does encourage Congress to pass H.R. 40, a bill introduced year after year by Rep. John Conyers (D-MI), the longest-serving member of Congress. Rep. Conyers, who is black, was first elected in 1965.

H.R. 40 calls to create a commission to study slavery's past and present impact on African American communities, and to consider appropriate reparations ...

http://news.yahoo.com/un-group-recommends-reparatory-justice-african-americans-213258469.html?nf=1

[​IMG]
    U.S. Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., is seen at the University of Michigan-Dearborn, Wednesday, Jan. 13, 2016 in Dearborn, Mich. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio)

7. Chaya Chaim

Chaya Chaim Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +269
    Our reparations are coming brethren through Yahawashi and allayahim to destroy Babylon and her plagues and wickedness and to get us back to Zion

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

Ase, Ase, Ase ...

Peace In my brother friend,

9. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    Aha! Wow! Now, isn't that something!

Thank you for this post!

You know, I find it amazing that the UN Working Group of Experts are making this push and also I read that NONE of them are White Americans! LOL!

I am so thankful too, for the break down you gave me in reply to my previous post and you made two significant points that I will have to go back and read and get a full understanding before I reply. Until I read your respond, I certainly did not fully understand the bigger scope of the presidents position and what you said makes so much since.

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

Good deal Chevron, I'll be here to read your response when you get around to it, take your time my sister friend, k? ... yvw.

Now don't get me wrong, if a President were to take on the Reparations issue, it would have to be done by executive order or consent by Congress; either way, we should not expect electoral politicians to do something the public hasn't completely wrapped around yet. So, we are almost there, as they say, keep the audacity of hope alive with positivism:)

• Love It Love It x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List