The Untold History of Slavery

Discussion in 'Honoring Black Ancestors' started by kemetkind, Jan 18, 2006.

1. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    I've posted in many threads about what I see as a self-hating behavior, consistently referring to black people as having "Slave mentality", or "Slave" mindset, nearly always as a derogatory slight against another black person.

Even some of our scholars will use these "slave" analogies when describing a dismal condition for modern blacks.

I think these attitudes dishonor our ancestors and reflect a lack of understanding about who these slaves were, how they survived, how they resisted and how they laid a foundation for black progress.

So I've decided to make a running thread with links to resources which can shed light on aspects of Slavery not commonly known.

The first of which is this excellent site detailing a large-scale but largely unknown Slave Rebellion. Spend an hour or two to really dig in to this site and you will come away having learned something new....I know I did.

2. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    Thank you for the link.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Yep, I second that... It's now one on my favorites list...

Peace!
    isaiah

4. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Thank you for this link, I believe John Horse could be Osceola. Who is a legend in my home state of Florida's folklore.

5. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    The biggest slave revolt ever.Many historians say that there were many wars between the Europeans and Africans during the beginnings of the slave trade in the Atlantic, that could explain the huge death rate of Africans in Africa along with the small number of overall slaves that survived.