Black People : The Truth

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by SayWord, Mar 2, 2004.

1. SayWord

SayWord Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Is the truth subjective? Does a person's opinion on something alter truth, or is just the facts of the situation?

2. deepy

deepy going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    I just discovered this thread..as i was about to log off...cause it's late were i am...but i wanted you to know that i heard the question..and i will come back to answer them
    now that is the truth...It is not however a fact until I do it..

3. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    Subjectivity and objectivity

Interesting and good question.

In my opinion, belief is subjective and doesn't have to be supported by facts or proof. Truth can be both subjective and objective because it can be either factual based or faith based.

Truth is opinion formed by a set of events or circumstances. For a simple example, someone can tell you something and you could believe it to be true, which would make it subjective because it's truth in your opinion, although not witnessed by you. However, truth can be manipulated by one's environment, thereby making it a dynamic construct instead of a stagnant one. We can witness truth in our environment and accept it as such. So, in my opinion, truth can shift according to the shifting mindset of an individual and a group of individuals.

Using that same example, if you were to discover later that what you thought was true was proven to be different through some 'factual' information, then your truth has been dynamically altered, but it may not necessarily influence your belief system. Even in the face of evidence, people can deny truth according to other's opinions and continue to believe what they want to believe and call it truth.

Science is based on proof and it can be to some, the basis for truth. Faith requires belief and belief can be truth but it doesn't have to be based on scientific proof. Truth can be tangible and surreal.

MHO . . .

Queenie :spinstar:

4. deepy

deepy going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    sayword
    I have come back as I promised..I told you the truth when i said i would..
    but you know it to be so because I've done it...
    You could have believed I would ..but you really didn't know
    You could have faith that I would..and still you really didn't know
    I've done it . and that is a fact.
    I really agreed with NNQueen's answer. I t was clear and "dead on" One thought though...with technology today what appears to be fact (through visuals) does not necessary have to be so either..so it is more
    than what one says it is also what one sees

5. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

This is a wonderful topic and THIS was a fabulous response!