Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : The Truth about the Afro (The Bush)

The Black Power Movement started in 1967 when Stokely Carmicheal coined the term. Black people had been wearing Afroes 5 years before Michael sported an Afro and 4 years before their first hit, "I want you back":

The Afro
4603019.jpg

Mike looks 14 here. (I think the picture was taken in 1972). This is an afro, similar to the one worn by Ronald McDonald (only not dyed with the color of ketchup.) Michael's hair looks thick and healthy; not at all what it would look like 30 years later but I'll get to that in a minute. This was the early 1970s and the Black Power Movement was in. The Jacksons were not militant but any black person wearing their natural afro hair back then was supporting social change as well as the "Black is Beautiful" phrase. It was all about embracing your culture and being happy with yourself.

http://www.ajdugger.com/blog/the-evolution-of-michael-jacksons-hair

The Afro/bush/natural/fro was all the same it just depended on who was describing it. I started off with what my barber called the mini bush. I let my hair grow till I had a full sized afro. I used to plat my hair every night one plat on each side and three down the middle. It is very funny reading all these foolish definitions. As far as who made it popular hell 7 out of 10 people in the hood had one.

The Afro/bush/natural/fro was all the same it just depended on who was describing it. I started off with what my barber called the mini bush. I let my hair grow till I had a full sized afro. I used to plat my hair every night one plat on each side and three down the middle. It is very funny reading all these foolish definitions. As far as who made it popular hell 7 out of 10 people in the hood had one.
Thanks for halfway clearing this up, but I really started this thread to have a laugh or two with some of the old school fellas, like I did before with the brothers and sister in person, remembering what we used to do to keep that bush, also called that MJ later on by some of the fellas. You won't learn these things from WiKi. To defend yourself against a young female trying to tell you we didn't call the afro a bush, when it was really a bigger hairstyle for the fellas down the 70's (so the ladies could like us), is like someone telling me there was no Dr. King or an assassination, something I also remember. That's really an insult to me, and this should have been squashed the day the question was even raised. If a person wasn't around, at least they should listen to a brother. Since when do we stop doing that? There's not a thing foolish about defending yourself on this, as I'm sure you would. You'd be crazy if you didn't. It used to be fun having these debates, but now it's name calling.

Thanks for halfway clearing this up, but I really started this thread to have a laugh or two with some of the old school fellas, like I did before with the brothers and sister in person, remembering what we used to do to keep that bush, also called that MJ later on by some of the fellas. You won't learn these things from WiKi. To defend yourself against a young female trying to tell you we didn't call the afro a bush,

"Defend yourself?" How about telling the truth? Nobody, but NOBODY called the Afro, the Bush and MJ did NOT popularize it. Bruthas on the street did that and the Jackson 5 fell in line. As for Wiki, YOU were the one who used Wiki as a source. I LAUGHED at it! :lol:

Thanks for halfway clearing this up, but I really started this thread to have a laugh or two with some of the old school fellas, like I did before with the brothers and sister in person, remembering what we used to do to keep that bush, also called that MJ later on by some of the fellas. You won't learn these things from WiKi. To defend yourself against a young female trying to tell you we didn't call the afro a bush, when it was really a bigger hairstyle for the fellas down the 70's (so the ladies could like us), is like someone telling me there was no Dr. King or an assassination, something I also remember. That's really an insult to me, and this should have been squashed the day the question was even raised. If a person wasn't around, at least they should listen to a brother. Since when do we stop doing that? There's not a thing foolish about defending yourself on this, as I'm sure you would. You'd be crazy if you didn't. It used to be fun having these debates, but now it's name calling.
No insult intended my brother bad choice of word (foolish) on my part. But it is still funny reading these definitions. I am not sure what you mean about name calling. As far as defending I just made a statement about the original post adding my 2 cents. Peace!!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Destee wrote on Cindy's profile.
Hi @Cindy .... :wave: ... :flowers: ... :wave: ... Happy New Year Beloved! Welcome Home! Good to see you! Much Much Love and Peace :heart:
Back