Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : The Truth about the Afro (The Bush)

Some history on the origin of the Afro, along with the large Afro (Bush), plus other African-American hairstyles prior to the 60's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro

There is nothing in that link that refers to The Bush. It is totally about the Afro which most blacks don't need Wiki's stamp of approval to know. :10500:

Btw, the difference between the Bush and the Afro is that while the Afro is picked out into a rounded shape, the Bush was short on the sides and back (almost a "fade"), the top longer and combed, NOT "picked," forward toward the forehead.

There is nothing in that link that refers to The Bush. It is totally about the Afro which most blacks don't need Wiki's stamp of approval to know. :10500:

Btw, the difference between the Bush and the Afro is that while the Afro is picked out into a rounded shape, the Bush was short on the sides and back (almost a "fade"), the top longer and combed, NOT "picked," forward toward the forehead.
If I really thought blacks needed WiKi's stamp of approval, I would have started this thread with it. Nonetheless it appears to be accurate, except a few parts, including where it said it started fading in the early 70's. It started fading a little after the mid 70's, and was gone by the late 70's...so much for WiKi's approval. By the way they did include the bush, however they described it as the bushier version, calling it the longer and longer version...anyway that's how they described it. I already clearly laid it out and said it was a larger Afro...which nobody really called it at first. The original name in the late 60's was the bush. But due to the fact that the average brother couldn't really grow a fast bush, which was part of the reason I even made this thread, they began calling it the Afro (the smaller version of the bush), mainly stemming from the Soul Train Afro-Sheen commercials from the early 70's, that used Richard Roundtrees photo, making him the poster-child for the Afro (again, the smaller version of the bush). Plus the name Afro probably sounded more civilized from the media. Then some brothers just started calling both the bush and the Afro a fro interchangeably, especially when the style began fading...however I still referred to it as the bush. And again it was Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5, like i said, who were the first ones to bring coast to coast popularity to the bush. All the entertainers from young to old, followed their lead. Michael was before his time. Although WiKi included the Jackson Five, they fell way short in describing their historic role in introducing the bush to black America.

I lived those days, and I wore the hairstyle. I remember the names they called it and when, like it was yesterday. What you just now described as the bush in your reply, tells me that you were not born during this time, or you're just playing around. Nonetheless, I can't let you tell this very false description. Young brothers and sister may believe you. And that's wrong. I hope you don't believe that the style Christoper "Kid" Reid from "Kid and Play" wore in House Party, was the bush, because that's almost the description you gave. But I take that back. I don't know what you described. Then you also said the bush came out in the 40's for the women, and the 50's for the men. Are you saying what you described as a bush in your reply came out in the 50's? Where did you read that? Then you said the bush was not the Afro. Are you saying the bush never existed in the late 60's and 70's?

But to put this all back in place, most black people didn't care whether you called it a bush or an Afro back in my day, and still don't. My point was most brothers never could get it large near the Jackson 5 range, the ones who brought the style to the black mainstream in the first place.

If I really thought blacks needed WiKi's stamp of approval, I would have started this thread with it. Nonetheless it appears to be accurate, except a few parts, including where it said it started fading in the early 70's. It started fading a little after the mid 70's, and was gone by the late 70's...so much for WiKi's approval. By the way they did include the bush, however they described it as the bushier version, calling it the longer and longer version...anyway that's how they described it. I already clearly laid it out and said it was a larger Afro...which nobody really called it at first. The original name in the late 60's was the bush. But due to the fact that the average brother couldn't really grow a fast bush, which was part of the reason I even made this thread, they began calling it the Afro (the smaller version of the bush), mainly stemming from the Soul Train Afro-Sheen commercials from the early 70's, that used Richard Roundtrees photo, making him the poster-child for the Afro (again, the smaller version of the bush). Plus the name Afro probably sounded more civilized from the media. Then some brothers just started calling both the bush and the Afro a fro interchangeably, especially when the style began fading...however I still referred to it as the bush. And again it was Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5, like i said, who were the first ones to bring coast to coast popularity to the bush. All the entertainers from young to old, followed their lead. Michael was before his time. Although WiKi included the Jackson Five, they fell way short in describing their historic role in introducing the bush to black America.

I lived those days, and I wore the hairstyle. I remember the names they called it and when, like it was yesterday. What you just now described as the bush in your reply, tells me that you were not born during this time, or you're just playing around. Nonetheless, I can't let you tell this very false description. Young brothers and sister may believe you. And that's wrong. I hope you don't believe that the style Christoper "Kid" Reid from "Kid and Play" wore in House Party, was the bush, because that's almost the description you gave. But I take that back. I don't know what you described. Then you also said the bush came out in the 40's for the women, and the 50's for the men. Are you saying what you described as a bush in your reply came out in the 50's? Where did you read that? Then you said the bush was not the Afro. Are you saying the bush never existed in the late 60's and 70's?

But to put this all back in place, most black people didn't care whether you called it a bush or an Afro back in my day, and still don't. My point was most brothers never could get it large near the Jackson 5 range, the ones who brought the style to the black mainstream in the first place.

Nobody in the 70s (and you're the ONLY one I've come across today) called the Afro, the "bush." Wiki did not call the Afro, the "bush." I clearly wrote that the Bush was a style popular with women in 1940's and with men in the 1950's. If you want to know if most black people don't care if one mislabels the Afro as the Bush, put in a poll (plenty of folk on this site were around in the 70s). Kid, from Kid and Play, wore a hightop fade, not a bush which, AGAIN, as I wrote was combed toward the front of one's head, not sticking up straight on top.You credit the Jackson 5 with "popularizing" the Afro. Do you credit them with popularing Jheri Curls, too? SMH

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back