Black Authors : THE TRUTH ABOUT POD PUBLISHING

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by Keita Kenyatta, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    I have a link where you can listen to a radio interview of the Presidents of the three top POD publishing companies about pod publishing. By the way, Author house is number one...but I advise everyone to listen to these interviews as it relates to the business. http://www.send2press.com/newswire/2005-08-0824-002.shtml

To listen to the broadcast from the presidents of these companies and a bunch of other relevant information, clink on the link.http://www.wbjbradio.com/

2. Keita Kenyatta

Ratings:
    +3,382
    If you write and are considering a book, this is for you !!

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    very interesting information provided here , and i really like what (iUniverse) had
    to say even as to date they are the # 2 leading publishing co. behind AuthorHouse
    thankz

4. Wisdom7

Wisdom7 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for posting this info. I read the article and saved it, so I can read further. I wasn't sure in reading is Authorhouse #1 in a good way or fraudulent? They send me emails, but I delete them because I don't trust it. I'm trying to learn about self publishing too.

5. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    AuthorHouse is the leading publishing co. for over 25 thousand authors
    i'm going to sign with them soon .

6. Keita Kenyatta

Ratings:
    +3,382
    In response to this thread; there is really very little to read. There are however, 7 interviews for you to LISTEN to. Once these interviews are listened to, those who do write and do want to put a book out will have some hard choices to make.

The truth of the matter is this; ONCE THESE 7 INTERVIEWS ARE HEARD, I CAN NOT SEE ANYONE SIGNING WITH AUTHOR HOUSE OR ANY OF THE REST OF THEM !!

If anything, what I do see is those of us who write doing some further in depth research and seriously coming up with an alternate plan to do what we do. Do I have an alternate plan for my own book ? Yes I do.

Why? Because I'm not kicking out no money to simply sell 100 or two hundred books, that's why! I will in my next post lay out alternate ideas that should be considered and taken quite seriously for those who are serious about what they do or want to do.

In as much as I take my writing seriously, my poetry seriously, my time seriously and my money seriously...the last thing I want to do is treat what I do as something trivial. I want and demand a decent product. I want to reach as many as I can with my work. I want to know how to maximize my money and efforts with the least expense...and most of all, I want to know how to get it done without screwing myself or my profits in the long run.

Mind you, this is just my mind set about what I want and do. This is simply my outlook on what I want and I do not expect anyone or everyone else to think or feel the same way. I will however make sure that any possible question a person can have is answered thoroughly. Why? Because that's what I want, need and demand for myself.

7. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    i heard most of them last night ......

8. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    What is the Alternate plan to getting your book out there and
    not get rip off and reaching world wide without being taken for every dime ???

9. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    still trying to understand the business of publishing and creating my own
    company

10. Keita Kenyatta

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Let me simplify this for you.

A. Come up with a name for the Publishing company you want to use.

B. Go down to the hall of Records or city hall. They should have an archive there of business names registered in your city or state. You have to check them to make sure no one is using the same one you are for your company. After that, if your company name is not being used, you can also so an internet check. if your company name is not out there anywhere, you can go back to the hall of records and register that company name with them as your legitimate company name. There may be a fee of 200.00 or 250.00.

C. Contact the federal government in charge of tax I.D. numbers and inform them that you have a business and what the name of it is. They will either send you the forms or do it over the phone. this will give you a separate tax I.D. number from your social security that applies to your business only. You
    don't want the two mixed up.

D. Contact the state tax I.D. Office and obtain the proper forms for your business. These forms outline what your business is and allows you to conduct business in the state legally without hassles. It allows you to employ others to work for you. It allows you to designate part of your dwelling as a home based business. this means that you are now in the position to deduct certain utilities such as gas, electricity, heat and so forth when tax time comes. The federal tax I.D. number allows you to do the same, except with that one you can deduct other things such as company loss or profits. You can deduct all your supplies such as paper, computers, printers, etc. that are part of your business. You will equally be responsible for taxes concerning your company and sales or loss reporting. The more you familiarize yourself with the paperwork the state sends you, the more you'll understand how to use it to your advantage.

E. Having done all of that, you are now in the position where your own skills are going to determine how much your own cost are going to be to really establish your company and produce your work with the least amount of cost. For example: I am an artist, so basically I'm able to do all my own covers for my books, meaning that I don't need a designer. I have torn enough books apart to study the lay out structure so I understand the print setup.

Therefore I don't need to pay to have that done either. So now you have your cover done and your print setup done for your book. This equally entails knowing what type of paper to use for each and why. It entails that you have the correct printer to do it. If not, then you can always do your own designs and then go to some place to have the professional production of it done according to what you have done....but your goal is to keep everything in-house so as to keep your cost down, so learning or having these skills does come in very handy.

F. Next comes the formatting of your book. In other words, you have to format your own work...only you know how you want it to look. This will mean making sure it is properly written, numbered by page, headers and footers correctly aligned and the left and right spacing aligned as well. In other words, by the time you are done you should have a complete book with the only thing needed to be done is to actually bind it.

G. Now you can send your completed version off to Washington for the copyright. While that is in play, you will be shopping for a printer for your work. The printers are going to try and convince you of everything except what you want, so you got to stick to your guns. You got to let them know that you have it already formatted, setup, cover done and everything else. Some printing companies will not take a hard copy of your cover...so you'll have to find one that will. You have to shop because any printing company can outbid another company on any given day at will. this is where you start doing a "national search" in terms of what printing company you want to use and what they are charging. generally the more books you order the lower your printing cost gets.

H. While you are shopping for a company send off for your ISBN number for your book. Without it you can not place your book in stores, on Amazon.com or anywhere else...this is the number that identifies your company, your book cost, your name and so forth. Yeah, there's a lot of information in those little bar codes.

I. Once all of this is complete, you should be in the position where you are ready to print. Once you get them printed and they are at your house, you now have the hard part to do. This is where you determine your marketing, your advertising, your distribution, your web page setup, your putting the pedal to the medal to get your work out there. Generally if you have done your work as you should, you will understand that from the time your book is in your house, it will take anywhere from a year to 15 months before your book takes off as you want it to. Oh, once you get your books back, you also have to send Washington a completed copy of that also.

I hope that I have aided you a lot better in your quest.

Hetep Brother.