Black People : The Tragic Mulatto

why bring up somethin from 200 yrs ago?
it's out dated.
why blow up the topic?
every time i go in the mall there is someone who is a little lighter and eyes a little paler.
it is a part of black life.
biracial are not going away so it is best to relax and get along.
if they bring the white devil side then smack em, if not, then chill.

there are a variety of people out there.
biracials, homosexuals, born again, all kinds.
this ain't nothing new.
we got to learn to get the good out of every one.

Deepvoice said:
I don't consider somebody no more my people if they had a black parent or great grandparent(octoroon). We shouldn't base who is and isn't our people on the infamous one drop rule. Why do we accept leftovers as if it is alright? Same thing with "soul food", master gave the slave what he didn't want and in turn we call it black food. If that is only insulting to me, then wow!

I understand the slaves had to eat what they had in order to survive, but why do we still consider this "soul food" ours? Same thing with this who is black and who is not.

Brother Deepvoice ... you're entitled to consider things however you'd like, but the reality of the situation is that the color of one's skin makes a difference in this country and world. There is evidence of it everywhere. As a result, many people behave and respond accordingly.

Black people did not introduce or implement the one drop rule. We did not request the nastiest part of the pig to eat, for generation after generation after generation. In spite of this, we are forced to deal with the far-reaching consequences of all of this.

That's all we're trying to do here now, is deal with it, discuss it, and better help each other to understand it. We simply don't have the luxury of sticking our head in the sand as though none of this ever happened, or that it does not matter.

Again, i look forward to our biracial Sisters and Brothers sharing with us.

:heart:

Destee

Destee we are almost saying the same thing. All I'm saying is that we are letting them dictate to us what is and what isn't. Basically giving us their own version of reality. I'm not trying to act like this situation doesn't exist, lol.

Put it like this, whites have made a promise to do what they have always done for us like any good husband would do and like any good wife we have excepted the terms of the agreement.

The vows of the marriage are in the constitution, in both the written one and the unwritten one(read in between lines).

They(white people) have left us on our(black people) back like any good wife waiting and mounted us in turn like any good husband wanting.

Deepvoice said:
I don't consider somebody no more my people if they had a black parent or great grandparent(octoroon). We shouldn't base who is and isn't our people on the infamous one drop rule. Why do we accept leftovers as if it is alright? Same thing with "soul food", master gave the slave what he didn't want and in turn we call it black food. If that is only insulting to me, then wow!

I understand the slaves had to eat what they had in order to survive, but why do we still consider this "soul food" ours? Same thing with this who is black and who is not.

When you say "we" do you mean black people? I believe we're just playing by the the guidelines that have been palced over many decades now. The white people in my area consider biracial children as being black-period. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Some of the same white people will tell you that they aren't racist and that race shouldn't matter. So why won't they acknowledge that they are also caucasian? I know people with biracial grandchildren who will say, "Well I have a black grandchild." I used to work with a woman whose daughter had married a biracial man and she wasn't happy with it. Her two grandsons had blonde hair and blue eyes but she still considered them black. Then there are the ones that disown them altogether. It must because they feel that even though they've come from a white mother they're black and that's all there is to it. I have eleven biracial cousins-there are four you can't tell are mixed, but they all consider themselves black. Because of where we live I think it would be foolish of them not to. There are areas in this town where it would be dangerous to walk alone if you are black. There was once an incident about 10 yrs. ago where a black man moved into a neighborhood and was sent a threatening letter from the KKK. It stated that in the city of Topeka clansmen consited of businessmen, sherriff's deputies, and policemen. There have also been several unsolved murders that are believed to be racially motivated. These take place in small towns that are predominately white and are against biracial people. Not long ago a 14 yr. biracial girl was killed by white supremacists. When I was in highschool the biracial kids usually hung out with the black kids. I did know a girl who had a circle of white girlfriends. But check this. Nobody knew she was half black. So her best friend one day calls someone a "ni@@er" and they get into a fight. The biracial girl came to myself and some other balck girls and tells us what happened. We asked her why this offended her and she then told us that she was half black. We had already accepted her when we thought she was white, but from what she had told us her in her circle of white friends she kept running into incidents where someone would make a racial comment. So the way I see it is, and mind you I'm only saying this because of the way things are in this area of the country (meaning for all I know in another part of the country biracial people are considered both black and white by both black and white people and in a very remote part of the country biracial people are considered white), if white people refuse to accept biracial people, a mixed child is ousted or somehow set aside from their white family, and these people are still confronted with the same prejudices as blacks then where would that leave them if we as black people don't accept them as black? (That was a long sentence)

I think we basically agree Deepvoice. Pan said it well. " I don't consider them black, unless they consider themselves to be black! "

I have some cousins that are of mixed race. They don't reject their parents influence. Nor do they seem ashamed in any way. Lucky for them some of the things they desire in life won't get them in a frustrated mode, their parents are doing well enough to shield them from want.

Is the anger as it is expressed by some or the rejection of one race over another as it exist by some just personal embarrassment on their part?

Is the disowning of the truth part of being included with a race of struggling individuals and knowing that the cards are stacked on one side against them?

Everyone wants to be on the winning team. But after that team looses a few.

Would they feel comfortable coming back over and can they easily switch teams ( thought processes. ) ?

Or is it lack of avenues and means of living a decent life they desire and see but can't obtain part of the root cause?

=======

That soul food thing is deep rooted. " Are blacks genetically predisposed to liking chicken? " Dave Shappel made this a joke in his comedy act.

We do like chicken. I'm not ashamed ( I don't like chitterlings, but others in my family like them. Mexicans use them in Menudo ) at all for what the slaves had to endure. Real creative.. ( survival is the true test of a race and man ) because if you don't cook them right, and drop an oinion in the pot. You could get very sick. They had to survive and when they could they didn't want to tolerate it. They chose the death penalty of running away. What they did was give us a chance. On shakey ground but a chance to make it further.

When the slaves stole a few. They would burn the feathers, and cook that chicken during the night. It wasn't allowed and most meals came once a day, or once a week. One pair of shoes a year, and when they wore out even in the dead of winter, feet had to go bare.

I was watching the salve narratives the other day. I also read them often on line. Actual letters from slaves.

Same with the stereotype about watermelon. Slaves stole them and ate them fast, getting it all over their faces. They feed slaves from troughs. spells ( T- roughs it would be rough now and not tolerated if we were asked to do that today. ) Like pigs and laughed when the children all kneeled over it to eat.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back