Black People : The Tragic Mulatto

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by panafrica, Sep 15, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    How does this image hold in today's times:

http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/news/jimcrow/mulatto/

2. Sodwn2earth

Sodwn2earth Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    Tragic mulatto stereotype? I didn't know there was such a thing. Excuse me for being young, but I never knew such books and films existed portraying mixed individuals in that way. It's so sad......then, that according to the white man everyone was inferior, possibly including members of their own family.

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    Bro Panafrica.............

are you sure that you were never abused by a biracial when you were young?

4. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    People hate when I say it, but I'll do it anyways, why does a child who's admixture is just as equally white as black have to be considered black? I know, I know, it's because during slavery they got mistreated too, but why force something on somebody? All they do is resent that people(especially blacks) even more. This doesn't seem very reasonable to me. If she were to deny her white and embrace her black she would still be suffering from a severe case of self-hatred. Self-hatred is self-hatred.

If I were to get with a white woman and have children I would be wrong to tell them to only embrace my side, simple as that. I've had alot of mixed friends and I never did fault them when they would explain to me that they felt it wasn't right to choose one side over another.

Scientific analysis' will never explain why a people are a people and doing it from this standpoint is as artificially as the idea of race. A people are people who are built on certain values, beliefs, and then ancestry.

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I'm as sure of that, as I'm sure I didn't write that novel in 1842! Speaking of which, do you have an opinion of that? It is plain to see that people were discussing and talking about this issue long before my time.

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Agreed...personally I don't consider them black, unless they consider themselves to be black!

7. Deepvoice

Ratings:
    +4
    The whole idea of quadroon and octaroon was just to make white more desireable. How many of us consider Mariah Carey black? And if you dont, why? We'll consider her as a woman of Irish decent, but Halle Berry black. I'm confused.

The whole idea of race is just so our people can come to the place that we are no more in existence. We will be completely absorbed into the population, firstly we will have to embrace all of the ideas and ways of the majority. Contrary to popular belief it is common values that is the backbone of a nation not how black their skin is or nappy their hair is. As soon as we embrace the majority populace in this country it will be just the right time for our extinction.

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Brother Pan ... this is a wonderful way to introduce this topic! I have been wanting to start a thread such as this for some time. It seems that, even in this community, it is a challenge to be both Black and White at the same time.

I've seen threads / posts where some of our biracial Sisters and Brothers are torn. They want to hang out with us here, but a part of them are offended by the discussions we have that usually focus only on the Blackness of us, virtually excluding half of their very being. Not only excluding half of them, but voicing our pain at the mistreatment we've historically received from Whites ... their other half.

After witnessing this phenomena in this community, my heart yearns to better understand the challenges they face.

While the article you shared above speaks about times gone by, i hope that those who are in this situation today, will enlighten us regarding the challenges they face. I often wonder how they feel about being in a community such as this, whose sole purpose is to love, encourage, embrace, teach, and build with Black people.

Looking forward to all of our biracial (White and Black) Sisters and Brothers sharing with us.

It's a great opportunity for us all to learn something new.

:heart:

Destee

9. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Great post Panafrica

"Imitation Of Life" (1959) Drama, USA, 1959, color, running time 125 minutes ... Based on the novel by Fannie Hurst

http://www.sandradeefans.com/imitate.html

Another film that showed this very thing. I grew up watching this film. My sisters used to sit with a box of klennex and used them up watching this one.

The character Sara Jane in the movie was of mixed race denied her self of being black and wanted to white. So she disowned her mother until she died. Great movie.

The mother Annie portrayed the famous Aunt Jemima Pancake creator.

This came on AMC early this month. I sat and watched it again. It is a classic example of this situation.

===========
    A excerpt from the site you listed Pan. These same words were spoken in the movie by Sara Jane to her mother.

Don't come for me. If you see me in the street, don't speak to me. From this moment on I'm White. I am not colored. You have to give me up.

=========

Deepvoice

The prevailing rule is one drop of black blood makes one black in this society. That is race mixing to racist and those who are ignorant. So they shun the individual, that trys passing. It soon becomes well understood by those of mixed race that they aren't accepted in the white community and can't denounce their black roots. It's not a choice of having to choose one over another, but how you are considered if you are black or have mixed race blood especially a black parent.

In the Vietnamese community and Vietnam. Those children of americans ( white or black ) were treated the same way. It is prevailing ignorance across the spectrum.

10. Deepvoice

Ratings:
    +4
    I don't consider somebody no more my people if they had a black parent or great grandparent(octoroon). We shouldn't base who is and isn't our people on the infamous one drop rule. Why do we accept leftovers as if it is alright? Same thing with "soul food", master gave the slave what he didn't want and in turn we call it black food. If that is only insulting to me, then wow!

I understand the slaves had to eat what they had in order to survive, but why do we still consider this "soul food" ours? Same thing with this who is black and who is not.