Black People : The Terry Schiavo case and white culture's hypocrisy

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by karmashines, Mar 19, 2005.

1. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Okay, I know everyone has been hearing about this on the news. Terry Schiavo, a woman who became brain-damaged after an adverse reaction to an eating disorder, was ordered to have her feeding tube removed. So-called Christians and other Republicans are rallying vigorously to ensure that she be able to keep her feeding tube and that her parents will be allowed to care for her.

Now, while I do have my own opinion on this matter, when I read about this case it makes me so angry. Because, although I think all human beings whether brain-damaged or not should be treated with some form of dignity, why do so many in white culture make a campaign on issues like this, yet don't seem to have any problems with the torture some black men have gone through by the police? They'll rally for a brain-dead woman who probably can't feel pain, or protest against 'animal cruelty', but let a policeman who BRUTUALLY attacks unarmed black men who aren't brain-dead go! It makes me sick!

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

2. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    smh...

i been hearing about this story and I feel you and it doesn't make sense but that's AmeriKKKa for you....

3. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    Most people I've talked to are conflicted about this. On one hand I wouldn't want to be left in that condition for 15 years, but I also think it's cruel to let her starve to death since starvation can take weeks unless they're also depriving her of water.

People should be sure to either get a living will or talk with their families about their wishes.

4. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I really could care one way or another about this issue because it shouldn't even be any issue. Thsi lady is brain-dead and she's not going get back to the way she was, so what's the point. Also, she told her husband her wishes about this very issue. Now, many may say that he's trying to do this and that because he's wants to get on with his life, but who knows. Even if that's the case, do you blame him? Why sit and wait for something that's not going to happen? I say let them pull the feeding cord out. It doesn't make sense to prolong this woman's life, especially if she didn't want this to begin with.

It's true though, only in america would this happen. I'll tell you one thing, if that was anyone other than a white person there would be no rallys or campaigns at all. Especially to the point where the politicians are putting their input on it....yeah, I'd like to see them rally for life across the board...not just for one brain-dead white lady.

5. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    I agree they should go along with her wishes, but starvation???????? That's harsh, I don't know what the alternative should be except maybe a shot to stop her heart. But, then Dr's. can't do that either, rulings against mercy killings and all that remember Dr. Kavorkian (sp)?

6. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    That's Amerikkka for ya! For instance the "Amber alert" That was brought into existance because a white girl was kidnapped. There was also the bill that enabled sex offenders to be identified whenever they move into a neighborhood. That also came into existance because a white girl was murdered by a perv. Yet, there is no bill created for the little black girl that was murdered ( she wasn't the only one I might add ) because of faulty work by the foster care system. However, they expect us to have deep emotional reaction to their situations.

That's my "BIG" opinion.

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Another issue that comes to mind, is the cost involved for this long term continual care!

Here we are, most of us can't afford to go to the doctor ... let alone talk about medical insurance that would pay for us to simply live forever ... with trained professionals on call 24/7 ... let alone the legal fees required to fight this case. Shoot, we wooda been dead long ago!

Opportunities afforded to them ... we'd never have the priviledge of even considering.

Nonetheless ... i don't think feeding someone is an extreme measure.

:heart:

Destee

8. havilandks

havilandks Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Bills vs Reform

As a former foster parent, the system needs reform not bills, There have been kids of all colors killed, abused, etc. This is a problem that has many causes, not enough social workers, not enough foster parents, too many kids needing care, just to name a few. So the kids get pushed together, and the workers are stressed, and the foster parents have more kids in care than they should. Can provide a few specific cases if you need them. no names. or colors given.

The bills were needed to coordinate and provide easier communication between different areas or across a large area(such as across state line) rather than being treated as a kidnapping

Social systems normally cover their local jursdiction, so it depends on how many kids are in the mix. This is the reason they have tried to better the system its called Guardian Adlitium(sp) where each child is supposed to be assigned a representive in the court to advocate for the child, and look out for the childs welfare. Could be lots better, but it is better than what they had prior to it.

9. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    The purpose of food is to keep the body and the brain functioning. A dead brain can't starve.

The heart is a muscle powered by electrical currents in the body so unlike other body parts it doesn't need signals from the brain to function. Keeping it beating does not constitute life.

10. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Good point, though I think since they don't really know what she's feeling it would be more humane to put her to sleep like they do prisoners.