Black People : The Term "Negroe / Negress"

SAMURAI36 said:
I share in CHUCKY's sentiments....

The term "NEGRESS" was used by the slave master, for the purpose of designating the "prettier" slave girls/women from the less desirable ones.

Negress is no more a compliment than Negro is. People (and I don't mean just one particular person in this threadm but all of us) are smart enough to know that if a white man walked up, calling us (especially the sisters) "Negro and Negress", then we'd be offended.

There is a reason why you never hear any other group of people calling themselves derrogatory names........You never hear the Asians calling themselves "Chink".......You never hear the Latinos calling themselves "Wet Back".......You never hear the Jews calling themselves "Hymies or Kikes"........You never hear white people calling themselves "Honkeys".

We ae the only ones who strive to make a compliment out of an insult.

We are also the only ones who make excuses for calling the White man what he is........whether it's "Devil", or "Cracka @$$ Cracka".

Calling him what he is, does not give him more power, because it shows that we have taken the "Cracking" whip from him :whip:

I think that historically, one of our biggest shortcomings has been the allowance of our inherent compassion to override our strength of reckoning, which is equally inherent.

Just like there is no human alive save my father that will call me "boy or son", there is no human alive that I will allow to say "Negro, Negress, ******, etc" in my presence.

These names have forever tarnished our reputations.....We've gone from one opposite to the other; we were once the "Gods" of this planet, and now we call ourselves "DOGS" (D-A-W-G).....And there's no irony to be found in the fact that that's precisely how we are treated.

PEACE

Actually I know some latinos that call themselves wetbacks but its just stupid isht man

Destee said:
Sister Nisa ... yes, i have been reading, always learning, and am still not offended by Brother Ralfa'il using the term "Negress" when referring to me.

I hear everything that's being shared, and i understand how someone might be offended if they were ever referred to as such ... and i'm just hoping that you all will understand how someone might not be offended as well.

There is no right or wrong here, at least as far as i can see.

We don't all have to be offended by the same things.

First of all ... i don't think i'm easily offended to begin with ... i don't think. My experiences have given me to know that if i were easily offended, i'd stay offended all the time. There is always something one can find to take offense to, if that is what they're seeking.

When a Brother or Sister says something to us, we can pick it apart and focus on the piece(s) we'd like. That's what i did. When Brother Ralfa'il said what he said, i focused on the part i wanted to focus on ... and that was the Spirit in which he interacted with me.

I could have focused on the "fine" or the "Negress" or even on one of the commas or periods ... i mean ... i could have focused on a number of things ... as you all have done ... but we each get to focus on what we want.

There are times when someone says something and you believe their intent is to hurt ... and there are times when someone says something and you believe they mean you no harm. I still don't believe Brother Ralfa'il meant me any harm, and therefore nothing he said caused me any.

In general, if someone called me a "Negress" ... i don't know how i'd respond ... the context in which it was shared must be considered ... as well as my own personal purpose and goal, as my response should reflect those things.

With that being the case, i'd probably overlook it, not even mention it.

I'd consider the opportunity that i had to be an example ... maintain peace and let the small stuff go ... rather than choosing to be offended and making a fuss.

That's just me.

I'm still listening and learning ... and if yall say something that makes me change my mind and be offended with Brother Ralfa'il ... i'll let ya know.

:heart:

Destee

DESTEE, I'm curious........If this brother had instead said "DESTEE, you know you are a fine ***".......

How would you have felt about that?

You do realize that many of our less-educated and less-refined brethren refer to our sisters in this manner? To them, it's a term of "endearment"; no harm necessarily meant.

But does that make it appropriate to refer to our Sistren in this manner?

I'd like to also point out, that "no harm intended", does not negate "no harm committed".

The path to Hell is paved with the best of intentions.

PEACE

Dear Destee.......

DESTEE, I'm really curious:

How do you balance your refusal to become "offended" with the offense of others?

How is it that you can perpetually come to the defense of the indefensible, yet with such a casual statement:

Sister Nisa ... we will miss you ... God Bless.

Wish off one of the most humble and positive sisters on this and any other site?

I've read nearly every thread on this site. I have NEVER witnessed NISA being purposefully disrespectful to anyone here--nor have I seen that she was received as such.

However, you have an..........."INDIVIDUAL" (I shall honor the wishes of others, and refrain from using the term that most suits him) who very few people care for, respect, or tolerate.

I could see if I was just speaking on my own behalf, but I can site NUMEROUS times when moderators, Elders, and other more objective individuals (especially Sisters) have found him to be intolerable.

However, we see you not only defending him at every turn, but also venerating him with terms of esteem such as "knowledge and wisdom".........

Really??

Where is the wisdom, where people have to continuously question him on his behavior, whether it's disrespectful comments to women (up to and including to YOU, apparently unbenknownst to you), or other people's beliefs and cultures, or instigative statements........??

Where is the knowledge, when most of the things that he allows to fall from his mind to his fingers to the key board is not only incorrect, but he also goes the extra mile to rebuke intellectual instruction?

9 out of 9.5 times, he has no clue as to what he's talking about, but rather than admit this, he'd rather dance to the tune of foolishness than learn amongst the many knowledgeable Black people here.

Where is the knowledge and wisdom, that you hold in such high regard from him?

NISA posed a powerful question; how do you manage to ask for financial support from a people whose wishes you would not honor?

Just because you were not offended, does not mean others were not:

NISA said:
when its used as a term of endearment amongst us..that hurts me. when its taken as a compliment that hurts me.

Destee..have you been reading...

So have you learned anything destee..

Destee..so do you still find being called a negress non offending

3 times the C ock crowed, and thrice this Sister was denied. She did all that she could to point out to you, that she was offended.

Others were offended..........I was offended for you, as a Black man for a Black woman.

How do you make a thread about "SELF-HATE", and not see the symptoms within yourself?

Yet a beautiful sister leaves, and she seems to be casually wished off, while the presence of a counterproductive, irreverent.........."INDIVIDUAL" is justified by the most unjustifiable means.

*SIGH* :(

And thus, here I stand, on the cusp of a decision of my own, contemplating whether I should follow my integrity and show support of my sister, or stay and "fight the good fight", for the sake of others, who have called upon the service of my Blade here.

I suppose that the moral of this lesson for me, is that I love my Black Woman, even when she does not have the strength and courage to love herself.........And even when she does.

HOTEP

Why is everyone here so down on Destee not being offended???

Some people object, in fact they're fightin words, to use the term son of a bi##ch since they see it as a reference to they're mom. To others it's just a saying.

Destee has a right to feel anyway she likes about a words meaning or lack of, as it affects her. Geez it isn't even a word that's used anymore, at least not by anyone I've ever talked to.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back