Black People : The Term "Negroe / Negress"

Ralfa'il said:
Personally, I choose to call myself black or AfroAmerican.

But I'm still trying to figure out how can people get so pissed off and taken aback by the word "negro" when so many of our people are running up and down the streets calling eachother "niggga" all day long.

Niggga to me is actually more offensive than negro because it's just a mispronounciation of the word "*******".

I'm in my early 30s but I remember a time when we used to didn't call eachother that around white people, only among eachother.

Now I see young cats all up and down the street shouting it at eachother, all on the trains. Even at work.

Brother Sun Ralfa'il, ya hot today, yo!(smile!)

We get Bent over stuff - all of us - that probably aint gots nothing to do with what we're REALLY bent about... We gots NEGROES out here wearing bling with the words ***** and QUEEN B. across their necks, and JUICY written on the back of their pants... We support Rap artists who say they'd sell drugs to their mama if she'd buy 'em... That's a group I've got serious problems with, not a sister who has created a community for me to come and converse with African people of like mind...

I'll be over in the ELDERS thread, OldSoul, James, and Pdiane are dropping bombs of knowledge, and we're over here with this drama... I am starting to be a disciple of James theory that we're a people with some serious mental challenges to overcome on a collective level...

Peace!
Isaiah

Peace!
Isaiah

im confused
there are so many words that are offensive when in context that we can be sitting here debating about...
black
colored
negroid
ppl of color
and so on- they have a book : The color of Words: an Encyclopedic Dictionary of Ethnic Bias in the US(Phillip H Herbert)

i raised the question of the defintion of the word BLAck- and i which that thread got this much attn

anything can be turned and twisted to taking offensive now and days- its simply now a matter of agree to disgree. ppl disagree and are offended everyday but they dont run and hide, commit suicide because they cant stand the world ignornce. thats the whole point of opinions and education.

shoot i was offended by the thread directed towards blacks not needing hispanics- being that i am mixed with both. but yet i didnt rant and rave and create further problems. life is gonna be a struggle and a test. ppl are going to disagree. my moms always said we cant live for other ppl. why burden yourself with everyone else problems- it dont make life an easier.

its just sad we (as ppl) are debatting the use of a word. we should be debating actions in our community. and uplifting topics. rather than something that seemed to turn into a purpose ultimatum or conflict.

and this is why we cant come up....

Destee said:
............am still not offended by Brother Ralfa'il using the term "Negress" when referring to me.

I hear everything that's being shared, and i understand how someone might be offended if they were ever referred to as such ...

There is no right or wrong here, at least as far as i can see.

Are you simply hearing it or are you processing it? How can you say there is no wrong here? Accepting the devil's derogatory labels is a form of self-hate as well as lack of knowledge of self.

The greatest trick the devil ever pull was: Convincing the Black man that he wasn't God.

Peace sister,

Freedom is a road seldom travelled by the multitude.

I am with daroc-

Except-

I wish THIS thread that I started awhile back got THIS much attention:
http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32405

Words are nothing. The Devil is full of words - do I get offended by him when he tempts me? NO!

Let me ask you this Fam:

What hurts worse - Calling me a dark *** *****, or stabbing me in the chest?

You will have to KILL me to hurt me! I can rant and rave all day on this site about how weak words are to me. The only words that I take serious, are the words spoken to me by all-mighty creator.....GOD! Nobody else!

A while back, Brother Manasiac disagreed with something I believed in, and he replied with a post referring to me as both "Pimp Ced" and Totalitarian Ced." I might have gone overboard in trying to prove my point to him, but was I offended - NO! Was I hurt - NO! Did I learn from the discussion him and I had - Absolutely! And that is why we do not have that problem up to today. You live and learn.

What Destee did when she ignored her (at first), is what I did throughout my childhood, and look what a difference it made! By listening to the demons coming onto me, I would have stood beofre you today a potential ex-con, and an extremely self-hating individual, with no vision. I thank God for givign me that ability to avoid allowing words to hurt me, and I do not apologize for it.

CD

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back