Black People : The Term "Negroe / Negress"

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by SAMURAI36, Jun 9, 2005.

1. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    I share in CHUCKY's sentiments....

The term "NEGRESS" was used by the slave master, for the purpose of designating the "prettier" slave girls/women from the less desirable ones.

Negress is no more a compliment than Negro is. People (and I don't mean just one particular person in this threadm but all of us) are smart enough to know that if a white man walked up, calling us (especially the sisters) "Negro and Negress", then we'd be offended.

There is a reason why you never hear any other group of people calling themselves derrogatory names........You never hear the Asians calling themselves "Chink".......You never hear the Latinos calling themselves "Wet Back".......You never hear the Jews calling themselves "Hymies or Kikes"........You never hear white people calling themselves "Honkeys".

We ae the only ones who strive to make a compliment out of an insult.

We are also the only ones who make excuses for calling the White man what he is........whether it's "Devil", or "Cracka @$$ Cracka".

Calling him what he is, does not give him more power, because it shows that we have taken the "Cracking" whip from him :whip:

I think that historically, one of our biggest shortcomings has been the allowance of our inherent compassion to override our strength of reckoning, which is equally inherent.

Just like there is no human alive save my father that will call me "boy or son", there is no human alive that I will allow to say "Negro, Negress, ******, etc" in my presence.

These names have forever tarnished our reputations.....We've gone from one opposite to the other; we were once the "Gods" of this planet, and now we call ourselves "DOGS" (D-A-W-G).....And there's no irony to be found in the fact that that's precisely how we are treated.

PEACE

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Brother SAMURAI ... thank you for the above ... i look forward to reading and learning more about these terms.

I've made this post a separate thread, as many have indicated their interest in discussing it, and i don't really want this discussion to bogg down the other.

Thanks Again.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

3. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Thank you brotha,

You've echoed my sentiments quite eloquently.

4. Nisa

Nisa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    Negress..the white man defines it as a black woman or girl...of course they say that because they dont want the black wombman to think he (the white man) is offending them.
    If you like being called a n i g g a or a n i g g e r..you wont be bothered by this..but why would u want to be called that.

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/******

I be [email protected] if i let someone call me a n i g g a or negress...dont support that word at all. SMH..

5. Nisa

Ratings:
    +31
  6. Nisa

Ratings:
    +31
    A "nigress" is a term ******** and their slaves who answer to it allow in speech, its not like "my *****" like some of our People use in a so-called term of endearment, its a female version of ****** in the derogatory sense of the word.Ive seen in devil chatrooms the word nigress used along with negro, niglet, ******, monkey etc...
    This is an answer by someone I know.

7. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16

First of all.....

Somebody tell Dan Quayle upthere that negro is spelt WITHOUT an "E" at the end. :wink:

Secondly, I personally don't agree with the term because of the history and connotations behind it; but technically it's no different than using the term "black".

Negro simply means "black" in Spanish.

Lastly, Martin Luther King, as well as Marcus Garvey, Malcolm X and many of our other great black leaders used the term "negro" or "so-called negro" because it was the term for our people at that time.
    Should they be defamed and lambasted for using it?

8. Nisa

Ratings:
    +31
    Right, i agree..its just used out of context..when its used as a term of endearment amongst us..that hurts me. when its taken as a compliment that hurts me.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother Samurai, the post was well articulated, but i found this quite interesting...

"These names have forever tarnished our reputations.....We've gone from one opposite to the other; we were once the "Gods" of this planet, and now we call ourselves "DOGS" (D-A-W-G).....And there's no irony to be found in the fact that that's precisely how we are treated."

By "interesting" I mean in my understated way, that you hit the nail with the head of that hammer on that! We choose the most degrading "denigrations" in reference to ourselves, don't we??? I don't think that's an accident... This might be one for the SELF-HATRED thread...

Peace!
    Isaiah

10. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    DESTEE, I think you are being called "DAN QUAYLE", since you were the one who created this thread on my behalf. :rolleyes:

Also, MALCOLM and MARCUS clearly stated that the term "NEGRO" meant someone who was "blind, deaf and dumb" to their culture and heritage.

It would help of the person quoting these men, had actually READ A BOOK from or about them and their teachings.

PEACE