Black Spirituality Religion : The Ten Precepts of Religious Detoxification

river

Watch Her Flow
REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
Unlike a book that somebody wrote and told us they got from God, our minds are the one thing we have that we know is from God without anybody having to tell us. The problem is that for many of us our minds have been programmed by the same cats who gave us the book. So one of our biggest struggles when we free ourselves from some religious doctrine is determining wich thoughts, feelings and beliefs are really ours and which ones are part of our programming. Below is a list of ten things which I have found to be part of the way my mind was programmed by religion. This list isn't meant to be exhaustive but is meant to be a spring board from which you can start thinking.

To detox my mind means:
1. Not being intimidated by the beliefs of others
2. Not judging myself according to my thought drifts
3. Not engaging my mind in negative introspection and self-recrimination
4. Letting go of the need for everyone to believe what I believe in the way I believe it
5. Not looking for God in a book or building or the northeast corner of the ceiling
6. Not being afraid to read any book
7. Looking inward for thhe answers
8. Letting go of the idea that God hates it when I am too happy or successful
9. Realizing that as a creature of the Creator when I honor myself and do well in life I AM honoring him/her and bringing glory to the ALL
10. Learning to learn who God is from everything that is because God is everything

Sistagurl---

you broke it DOWN!!!! People need to realize that they need no intermediary (Church, Pastor, etc) to commune with our Creator. The belief that an external conduit is needed was inaugrated to keep control--nothing else.
I share your perspective and am heartened to know that spitiuality as opposed to religious indoctrination is alive and well.

river said:
Unlike a book that somebody wrote and told us they got from God, our minds are the one thing we have that we know is from God without anybody having to tell us. The problem is that for many of us our minds have been programmed by the same cats who gave us the book. So one of our biggest struggles when we free ourselves from some religious doctrine is determining wich thoughts, feelings and beliefs are really ours and which ones are part of our programming. Below is a list of ten things which I have found to be part of the way my mind was programmed by religion. This list isn't meant to be exhaustive but is meant to be a spring board from which you can start thinking.

To detox my mind means:
1. Not being intimidated by the beliefs of others
2. Not judging myself according to my thought drifts
3. Not engaging my mind in negative introspection and self-recrimination
4. Letting go of the need for everyone to believe what I believe in the way I believe it
5. Not looking for God in a book or building or the northeast corner of the ceiling
6. Not being afraid to read any book
7. Looking inward for thhe answers
8. Letting go of the idea that God hates it when I am too happy or successful
9. Realizing that as a creature of the Creator when I honor myself and do well in life I AM honoring him/her and bringing glory to the ALL
10. Learning to learn who God is from everything that is because God is everything

This sits well with me sister River! Thank you for it.

PEACE

Excellent post River.

Very important that we recognize that the European and African thought processes are entirely different in many ways, especially concerning spirituality, and that we must not only educate ourselves and change our beliefs, but we must actually make a thorough inspection of our own sub-conscious minds/programming and make "major" adjustments in order to begin to fully connect with our true selves. It is absolutely essential that we humble ourselves and understand that it is impossible for us to have been raised in a society as backward and racist as america (or any other western influenced country) and not be influenced by its psychology. This is also an ongoing and never ending process that should never stop. The negative psychology is constant, and so must be our own positive psychology if we are meant to win this kind of warfare. Make no mistake about it: THIS IS THE BATTLE. When we find our way to surround ourselves with correct imagery and energy, and effectively block out the negative, we will win this war, but not before. The books and other information that we are exposing ourselves to are like new tires and a shiny new paint job on an old car. A complete psychological overhaul is necessary to get us ready to move. thank u for bringing this concept to our attention Sister River. I'll speak on it further at a later time. Ase.

Love U.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back