Law Forum : The Supreme Court Just Ruled In Favor Of The Police State, And Sonia Sotomayor Is Not Having It

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Jurisprudence,

The Supreme Court Just Ruled In Favor Of The Police State, And Sonia Sotomayor Is Not Having It

She lashed out at “lawless police conduct” that disproportionately targets black and brown Americans

WASHINGTON — In a powerful dissent to a Supreme Court ruling that took an expansive view of the limits the Constitution places on police misconduct, Justice Sonia Sotomayor on Monday seemed to address the people most affected by unfortunate encounters with the police — black and brown Americans ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sonia-sotomayor-police_us_57680301e4b0fbbc8beaf4ae

[​IMG]

ROBERT GALBRAITH / REUTERS
    Once again, Sonia Sotomayor shows why she’s often referred to as “the people’s justice

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  2. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

You need to read Sonia Sotomayor’s devastating, Ta-Nehisi Coates-citing Supreme Court dissent

In an impassioned dissent Monday, Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor broke with the majority of the court in a case about unreasonable searches and seizures, citing James Baldwin’s and Ta-Nehisi Coates’s written experiences of constantly being viewed as criminally suspect as black people in America ...

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/20/11976560/sonia-*********-dissent-supreme-court?yptr=yahoo

[​IMG]

Justice Sonia Sotomayor Justin Sullivan via Getty Images

• List
  3. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

Sonia Sotomayor’s Epic Dissent Explains What’s at Stake When the Police Don’t Follow the Law

In an opinion that cited Michelle Alexander and Ta-Nehisi Coates, Justice Sotomayor railed against the gutting of the Fourth Amendment

... The decision, announced Monday, reinstates the particular convictions of a Utah man who was tried on drug charges. But this is about much more than one case. The Court’s 5-3 determination effectively signals that police officers do not themselves have to follow the letter of the law when they are enforcing the law. The calculus, argued dissenting Justice Elena Kagan, “practically invites” police to illegally stop Americans who are not acting suspiciously ...

https://www.thenation.com/article/s...we-need-people-of-color-on-the-supreme-court/

[​IMG]
    Justice Sonia Sotomayor. (Reuters / Jason Reed)

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    We already know how this is gonna go down. But the political climate is extremely volatile right now and tempers can easily flare up. I'm just wondering how much more the oppressed are going to tolerate racial profiling and police harassment before "marching" against social injustice. I'm using the word marching to keep this discussion nonviolent.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • True True x 1
    • List
  5. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

Enough (nuff) said, and well said indeed.

6. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I agree with you. But, I'm going there. At some point, we're just going to have to sort this out.

If Black and Brown people would just show up at the polls and vote for people who think like Supreme Court Justice Sonia, we wouldn't have to march in protest against police racial profiling and violence against Black and Brown people.

We will either stand up as one and put an end to this or keep on going through it until THEY feel like stopping. And, for those who don't know who THEY are, I'm speaking of people in decision-making positions who think it's ok for the police to harm Black and Brown people while enforcing the law.

Let's vote these people out of office at all levels of government all across the nation and this mess will stop.

Let's show up and show out with our collective vote.

Peace, Fam.

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

You went there, for sure, but didn't address this aspect of her post, as cited below:

We already know how this is gonna go down. But the political climate is extremely volatile right now and tempers can easily flare up. I'm just wondering how much more the oppressed are going to tolerate racial profiling and police harassment before "marching" against social injustice. I'm using the word marching to keep this discussion nonviolent.

NNQueen, 41 minutes ago

8. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I took NNQueen's use of the word "nonviolent" to mean keeping the discussion in the thread civil and nonargumentative.

In terms of "...how much more the oppressed are going to tolerate...", I have no clue. Hopefully, we can address this before people actually institute violent physical responses as solutions. Hence, voting as one over several years as I suggested by Black and Brown people all over the country.

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

I see, thanks for that. Guess we'll find out her meaning of the term when she returns.

On voting, we touch and agree.

10. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    I know there are trolls that search for and stalk these types of websites who are monitoring the internet for "terrorists," and Black people, particularly those of us that engage in these discussions know all to well that our tax money is being used for this purpose. I'm being careful and very intentional in my use of words when it comes to some of these discussions. But, WE know how to interpret what is meant, right? Having said that . . .

Money, I get where you're coming from when you recommend that we need to participate in this country's voting process and philosophically, I totally agree. However, we must recognize that the voting system here is broken and needs to be fixed before we can trust that our votes will genuinely matter. Just look at what happened recently with the California primary . . .

This leaves little room for doubt that corruption exists in the voting process and isn't unlike what we've been hearing throughout the primaries across the country if we've been paying attention.

Whether we're really living in a democracy has been called into question and we should take heed and get involved in the change process to fix the system by eradicating corruption. But don't be fooled, the establishment isn't going to give up its control easily. But alone, African Americans have the financial resources to battle the establishment by redirecting our money away from consumer spending to political action. Combine our resources with brown people and the revolution will be televised.

• List