Black Education / Schools : The stunning lack of diversity in America's school teachers

Liberty

BANNED
Aug 28, 2015
iStock_72424559_LARGE.jpg

By 2024, students who are racial minorities will make up more than half of U.S. classrooms. But minority teachers, if hiring continues at its current pace, will make up only 20.5 percent of the educator workforce. Even 100 years from now, if trends persist, teachers and students in this country will not have comparable levels of diversity.

This gloomy future was estimated based on recent data from the U.S. Department of Education report, "The State of Racial Diversity In the Educator Workforce."

According to the report, the percentage of teachers of color in public elementary and secondary schools only grew five percentage points in 24 years; they were 13 percent of the workforce in 1988 and 18 percent in 2012. This translates into an annual growth rate of 0.2 percent.

Read more

http://theweek.com/articles/625156/stunning-lack-diversity-americas-school-teachers

iStock_72424559_LARGE.jpg

By 2024, students who are racial minorities will make up more than half of U.S. classrooms. But minority teachers, if hiring continues at its current pace, will make up only 20.5 percent of the educator workforce. Even 100 years from now, if trends persist, teachers and students in this country will not have comparable levels of diversity.

This gloomy future was estimated based on recent data from the U.S. Department of Education report, "The State of Racial Diversity In the Educator Workforce."

According to the report, the percentage of teachers of color in public elementary and secondary schools only grew five percentage points in 24 years; they were 13 percent of the workforce in 1988 and 18 percent in 2012. This translates into an annual growth rate of 0.2 percent.

Read more

http://theweek.com/articles/625156/stunning-lack-diversity-americas-school-teachers

Message received and understood!

Great topic!

I'm biased though...I have many great teachers in my family and know how hard they work and how much they love their craft--teaching.

At the same time, I'm extremely critical of the American educational system. I don't think that K-12 public school teachers are paid enough. Considering the amount of work, pressure and emotional problems/issues teachers have to deal with on a daily basis, teachers are underpaid. If we want to attract, retain, and motivate the best and the brightest, we need to raise the starting salaries of teachers to be competitive with other professions.

I think "tenure"--a lifetime contract for teachers, should be done away with including faculty at the college level. Some will think that is sacrilegious for me to even suggest that, but I see how tenure can bias a system in favor of some over others and it typically works against AA faculty. Teachers should be evaluated in an equitable way and retained based on meritorious behavior. "Good" teachers will get rewarded and "bad" teachers will not. A formal and legal review should be made mandatory though prior to firing any teacher.

The evaluation process for teachers should be made uniform nationally and not regulated by the state they work in.

The current curriculum needs to be overhauled drastically to fit the educational needs of our modern and vastly diverse student population. America needs a curriculum that is more advanced in math and science and one that is interesting and will keep the attention of our youth. More business/economics courses taught in K-12 would also generate an early entrepreneurial spirit among students, which would have the potential of stimulating the economy.

To be more globally and nationally competitive in the job market, compulsory education should start with preschool and the school year should be year round with a short summer break of maybe one or two weeks only.

Public education should be free and should include electives i.e., artistic expression and physical education.

Hiring and retention-- each school district should have a diversity plan whereby it becomes mandatory that teaching faculty be racially diverse.

Classroom sizes should be smaller and this should be made mandatory. If more schools are needed due to the smaller class size, then sufficient funding should be available to expand the infrastructure.

Now, this conversation should lead to discipline and issues of violence in our schools both on the part of teachers and students.

How should we address the disorder in today's schools?

Great topic!

I'm biased though...I have many great teachers in my family and know how hard they work and how much they love their craft--teaching.

At the same time, I'm extremely critical of the American educational system. I don't think that K-12 public school teachers are paid enough. Considering the amount of work, pressure and emotional problems/issues teachers have to deal with on a daily basis, teachers are underpaid. If we want to attract, retain, and motivate the best and the brightest, we need to raise the starting salaries of teachers to be competitive with other professions.

I think "tenure"--a lifetime contract for teachers, should be done away with including faculty at the college level. Some will think that is sacrilegious for me to even suggest that, but I see how tenure can bias a system in favor of some over others and it typically works against AA faculty. Teachers should be evaluated in an equitable way and retained based on meritorious behavior. "Good" teachers will get rewarded and "bad" teachers will not. A formal and legal review should be made mandatory though prior to firing any teacher.

The evaluation process for teachers should be made uniform nationally and not regulated by the state they work in.

The current curriculum needs to be overhauled drastically to fit the educational needs of our modern and vastly diverse student population. America needs a curriculum that is more advanced in math and science and one that is interesting and will keep the attention of our youth. More business/economics courses taught in K-12 would also generate an early entrepreneurial spirit among students, which would have the potential of stimulating the economy.

To be more globally and nationally competitive in the job market, compulsory education should start with preschool and the school year should be year round with a short summer break of maybe one or two weeks only.

Public education should be free and should include electives i.e., artistic expression and physical education.

Hiring and retention-- each school district should have a diversity plan whereby it becomes mandatory that teaching faculty be racially diverse.

Classroom sizes should be smaller and this should be made mandatory. If more schools are needed due to the smaller class size, then sufficient funding should be available to expand the infrastructure.

Now, this conversation should lead to discipline and issues of violence in our schools both on the part of teachers and students.

How should we address the disorder in today's schools?
My wife is a former teacher of 20 years in the NewYork educational system so I can definitely agree with you on all points sister. One major problem that most teachers face is the lack of parents involvement in the child's education. Most teachers as you have stated have a difficult time of teaching as it is without having to be parents also..
Disorder comes from the lack of ability to discipline in school and at home...I say bring back corporal punishment in school and the household and keep government out of how a parent can discipline their child.. Let them raise them... This time out s--t and no belt spanking don't get it....Kids should only be allowed to call 911 if their parents are about to choke the h--l out of them..
Otherwise, let them get that a--whipping......:skillet:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back