Black Short Stories : The Source Pt1

Euphoria

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 24, 2002
QLD, Australia
Occupation
journalism student
There wasn’t anywhere else Micah wanted to be, not on a day like this. It was a perfect Autumn afternoon, cool yet the sun was still shining and the sky still blue. Days like these Micah wished he didn’t have to head back inside to work. He took in a last deep breath before heading back inside to the air-conditioned shop.
“Hey man. Did you take long enough? I mean I thought it was a lunch hour not a lunch afternoon!” came the deep voice of a tall, attractive part Asian man.
“On an afternoon like this, was kinda reluctant to come back inside to your ugly face, Q.” Micah knew he’d make up the time by working the late shift on Thursday, but he was cool with that, after all he liked the mood in the store when it was filled with late night shoppers.
The Source was one of the coolest mens streetwear stores in the city. It stocked only the latest trend wear and was owned jointly by Micah and Q. They’d opened the store after Micah had inherited some money after his aunt’s death eighteen months ago. Q, whose parents had always had money, found it easy enough to cough up his half of the capital.
Micah stopped opening the boxes filled with their latest delivery and watched Q serve a guy he obviously knew. Quince, or Q, was a real strange one. He and Micah had been friends since they were kids and very few people had him figured out. The son of a Filipino father and half-Greek mother, he had very unusual, yet handsome features. His father was a successful finance broker and his mum owned her own restaurant, so he’d always been given high expectations, which he was supposed to exceed. Q was one of those guys who were naturally smart, yet didn’t want to be. He flew through school with top grades, yet spent most of his time partying, getting girls and getting high. Now at the age of twenty-two he seemed to have calmed down, at least a little.
“Yo Micah! Where’d you put those new Morrisey jackets we got in Monday?” Q had interrupted Micah’s train of thought.
“Um, good question. Gimme a sec.” Micah found the new denim jackets hanging on a wheeling rack he grabbed two and headed over to where Q was standing. He noticed a young, attractive blonde standing before Q and it made him laugh at his earlier thought that Q was no longer a player.
“Thanks man,” said Q as he took the jackets from Micah, “ I was just telling Kelly here, that these are going to be the hottest thing this Winter. She’s buying…”
“I’m shopping for my brothers birthday,” said the blonde, interrupting Q.
“Aahhh you’re a good sister huh?” Micah said smiling.
“Oh yes. I try to be good at everything I do,” the blonde uttered flirtingly.
“Well you be careful, because perfectionism isn’t always a good thing.” Micah winked at Q and strolled back to his half-unpacked boxes.
It wasn’t a surprise the blonde had noticed Micah, most girls did. Standing at 6’2” with rich mocha skin, Micah had the looks of Tyrece combined with the firmly muscled body of LL Cool J. Q would gladly have accepted the flirting, where as Micah was true to his girlfriend of four years, Bailey. Micah drifted into thoughts of his upcoming skiing trip with Bailey as he continued to sort the new stock.

Bailey stared out of the window on her bus ride home, and watched the hundreds of school kids laughing and playing on their way home. She ran down her mental to-do list of the thousand things she had left for today. Knowing there was only three weeks left of semester; she was also going to be seriously busy with both university and planning the final touches of her holiday with Micah.
“Girl, don’t be looking so sad. You just finished the biggest exam of the semester. You need to chill out!”
Bailey smiled at the laid-back attitude of her best friend Madison, knowing of course that she was right. “I’m not sad, just thinking bout all the **** I gotta do.”
“You really need to give yourself a break. What you doin tonight? Come to the club with me,” Madison flipped her long black hair over her shoulders.
“Girl, you know I can’t. I’ve got so much to do. There’s my essay for media production, my speech for ethics and I’ve still got to study for my Journalistic Inquiry exam,” Bailey was starting to sound more stressed out with every word she spoke.
“I know you wanna come dancing girl. You wanna come and bounce with me. I know you wanna,” Madison batted her long black lashes playfully and her emerald green eyes shone as she smiled.
“But…”
“No buts. Look I’m sure Micah could use the time out too. You both work so hard. Besides there’s that hottie behind the bar that you know I wanna talk to, and you know you are so much better at that than me.”
“Me? Nu-uh you know the flirting is your thing! Don’t you try putting that one on me,” Bailey was beginning to warm to the idea of spending a night dancing with her friends.
“So…. I’ll pick you and Micah up bout nine?”
“Hey! I never said anything about me coming.”
“Yeah… but I know you’re gonna.”
“Girl, you’re too much.”
Madison stood knowing her stop was next, “I know,” she winked, “Just have to find me a guy to take it all.” She laughed as she made her way down the aisle, “Later Bay!”
Bailey waved and laughed at her wild friend before turning her thoughts to what to wear that night.

Twenty minutes later Bailey reached her apartment. Throwing her bag on the floor, she hit the play button on the answering machine, before heading to the kitchen. As she poured herself a glass of OJ, Micah’s deep, sexy voice filled the room, “Hey baby, just me. Just ringing to see how you went on that exam today, was thinking bout you. I know you flew through it. Before you start stressing bout the rest of your school stuff, crack open a beer and gimme a call. Love you.”
Bailey smiled as she looked down at her OJ. She loved her man so much. Looking up at the clock, she realised that he was due home in an hour and she hadn’t even had time to buy groceries.
“Hi Bay, it’s you mum. Call me k?”
Bailey jumped at her mothers unexpected voice as it snapped her out of her thoughts and then grabbed a pen and paper to jot down the next couple of messages for Micah. She picked up the phone to call Micah, but decided to run a bath and relax a little first.

Steamed filled the bathroom as Bailey poured the relaxation bath oils into the tub. Slipping from her satin gown she slid into the hot bath and breathed in deeply. The smell of lavender and sandalwood began to fill her mind as she closed her eyes and soaked away all of life’s stresses.
Dreaming of Micah and thinking about how much she loved him, when she heard his voice. Thinking it was only her imagination, she kept her eyes closed and let the dream carry her.
“Bailey? You Bailey you home babe? Hey where you at?” Micah pushed open the bathroom door and smiled at the sight. He lent over the bath just watching Bailey, without her even realising. He stared at her deeply tanned skin; flowing coffee coloured hair and perfectly shaped mouth. He wanted to see more, but the bubbles hid her from view. “**** woman, you’re sexy,” he breathed huskily.
“Nice to know,” Bailey opened her eyes and smiled.
“How long you been in here? You’re all pruney.”
Bailey laughed, “Don’t know, guess I lost track of time.”
“Well you got room for one more?” Micah asked as he pulled his shirt over his head and began to unbutton his jeans.
“There’s always room for you,” Bailey replied as moved forward to allow Micah to slide in behind her.
“So how did your exam go?” Micah asked as he began rubbing her shoulders.
“Aaahh you know how it is. I stress myself out, then when I get there it’s not so bad.”
“Yeah baby. That’s what I always tell ya. You’ll be a journalist in no time.”
Bailey sighed deeply and leaned into Micah’s hands, “And how was your day lover?”
“Yeah it was OK. Got some new stock in, but don’t worry I didn’t sort it all, I left half for you to do tomorrow.”
“Gee thanks,” Bailey replied sarcastically.
“Seriously though B, I missed you today. Feels like I haven’t seen you forever,” Micah’s hands slipped around Bailey’s waist and began kissing her neck.
“Missed you too. By the way… you feel like going dancing tonight? Maddi twisted my arm and begged me to go.”
“Sure baby. I’d love nothing more than to get my groove on with you.” Right at that moment all Micah could think about was how much he wanted, needed Bailey.

“Bay, Madison’s here,” Micah called from the lounge.
“Just a sec, I’m nearly ready. **** Micah you know where my new earrings are?”
“You mean the silver ones sitting on the kitchen bench?”
“They be them,” said Bailey as she picked them up, “What I do without you?” she asked as she kissed his cheek. “Where’s Maddi?”
“I haven’t let her up yet, just heard the car pull up,” Micah paused to take a long deep look at Bailey. “You look beautiful,” he whispered as he gazed over her fitted white pants, off the shoulder caramel top, tan heels and silver jewelry which was set off perfectly by her tan.
“You looking pretty fine yourself,” she said as her eyes swept up his favourite dark denim jeans and white tee topped off with his new Morisey jacket.
“Bay? You gonna let me up, or what?” came Madison’s voice from the driveway.

Moments later they were driving to Embassy in Madison’s new Lancer. As they entered the club, they were greeted by hellos and hugs of friends who were already there. Madison pulled away from the crowd and strutted her stuff, straight towards the bar. Her intention was to get the barman to notice her, but in her tight leather pants and black halter, every guy turned their head.
“What can I get you?” came the warm husky voice of the tall dark-skinned bar tender.
“How bout you phone number?” laughed Maddi in return. The barman smiled.
“A JD and coke would be great, thanks,” Maddi said to ease the tension. She stared at his fine form, watching him as he worked. Slipping in a straw, he passed her the drink and Maddi began to hand him the money.
“No, it’s on the house Madison,” the barman smiled.
“Thank you. How do you know my name?” Maddi was flattered, but curious.
“As the barman I always know the name of the best looking girl in my club,” he laughed at her defensive smile, “I’m Tye,” he said as he reached his hand across the bar.
“Nice to meet you Tye and call me Maddi.”

“Looks as though Maddi is workin her stuff,” commented Micah to his table of friends.
“But she’s so **** fine,” Q yelled. Everyone at the table laughed. “Bay, why didn’t you ever set me up with that girl?”
“Because Q, you are a playa, Maddi’s a playa, how you two gonna ever get anything done?” Everyone erupted into laughter again.
Eve’s bouncing “Ladies” began to flow from the speakers as Micah held Bailey’s elbow and pulled her to the dance floor. Stepping out they headed to the middle of the floor and began to move to the groove. Matching each other step for step, a circle soon formed as others stopped to watch the way they danced. The couple was known as the best dancers in town and as they bounced, it was easy to see way. The song finished to an eruption of applause from standers-by, before the DJ moved to something slower. Micah wrapped his arms tightly around Bailey’s waist and pulled her close.
Bailey smiled. Everything was so perfect. She was here dancing to one of her favourite songs, with the sexiest man she knew. “I love you,” whispered Micah.
“I love you,” she whispered back.

A scream rang out from the back of the room. “**** sounds like something is happening back there,” Q said. The sound of broken glass came louder than the music, followed by yelling. Ray, a friend of Q and Micah, came jogging over to the group, “Seems like a bunch of high school guys got in and came looking for a fight. It’s getting pretty nasty. We should get out of here.”
The group began heading for the door when Bailey broke off to grab Maddi, who was still at the bar. “Girl, come on we have to get out of here before it gets messy,” Bay pleaded.
“Just one sec,” Maddi winked, “I’ll meet you by the car, OK?”
“OK,” Bailey sighed, knowing she wanted time with the barman to exchange numbers, she headed outside with Micah and their friends.
As they reached the car park Micah and Bailey said their various good-byes, before heading over to Madison’s Lancer. “Yo, Bay? Where’s Madison?” Micah asked.
She was nowhere to be seen in the car park, or near the door of the club.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back