Black Women : The Sniper Attacks...

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Thandiwe, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Thandiwe

Thandiwe Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    what are you thoughts about the sniper attacks happening in the virginia and maryland area?

if you lived in the area, would you keep your children at home?

yesterday the police chief read a partial statement that was in the letter the received from the sniper. he stated that our children are not safe at any time, at any place...

what do you think of the media coverage?

2. wildflower7

wildflower7 Well-Known Member MEMBER

motherhood
    Ratings:
    +4
    I live in the DC Metro area and I must say it can be pretty unnerving. My 4 yr old still goes to pre-school and my other babies still go to the babysitter. You can't stop your life. You can only pray over your family daily and move on.

It's pretty obvious that the children are not safe, he shot a 13 yr old child. You have to be on your guard. I can't believe people are still considering taking their children trick-or-treating. (I don't celebrate Halloween and my children don't know the difference so there'll be no unhappy children on the 31st.) I'm making a conscious effort to not take my kids anywhere they don't need to go, like the store or even play outside.

The media coverage is extensive and is useful but there is overkill. How much information do they expect the police to divulge? It would be stupid for them to expose much of their case.

3. poeticdelight

poeticdelight Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    you know

we all want to stay out of harms way
    especially to keep our children from
    danger and harm

it would depend on the situation
    for instance, if i were in the area
    similar to WF, then i would keep a look
    out to make sure my kids are fine

pd

4. Thandiwe

Ratings:
    +2
    i have to admit, this latest incident of "terrorism" has impacted me, made me somewhat paranoid.

i worry about copycat killers and think there are others people who see the "glorification" or subscribe to the same type of thinking as other killers. as i mentioned, i see newsmagazine reports of past snipers and serial killers (sam of son, zodiac killer). last night i saw a report on a serial killer in cincinnati. he wanted to rid the world of "jews" and "black peole". he had confessed to killing "mixed raced couples".

i think that the coverage of these types of people,even though the media is tryng to give an understanding of this recent "terrorist", at the same time, i think they may be giving other people these same type of thinking. that is is their duty to "clean" up the world.

but then again, the US have a habit of thinking this way...

5. Thandiwe

Ratings:
    +2
    in my florida evans' voice...

****, ****, ****!

never thought would have thought be a black man or even two black men as suspects.

from what i've have seen ont he update, it looks like that have their snipers. the house in tacoma was searched yesterday, a tree stump removed, and perhaps evidence of anothe shooting the happened in alabama in september.

we had known about the demand for money, which i thought was a ploy or being demanded by someone not involved in the shooting but taking credit. but they wanted it wired to jamaica.
    that, i'm sure was a important clue. a clue that they weren't looking for a black person.

****, we are knot know to commit these kinds of crimes. and to shoot other black people this way. we are known to shoot each other over schit like drugs and money, stepping on one's shoes.
    but to be labeled a serial killers...

6. wildflower7

motherhood
    Ratings:
    +4
    In the beginning I just knew that the sniper was caucasion. I was so surprised to learn that he wasn't! My sister said she knew he was black when he asked for money. Had he been white, he probably would have just kept killing (i know that statement is politically incorrect... sue me). Anyway, I feel a bit better. I don't think that there'll be copycats but I'm still on my guard because, you can't be too careful these days. I've been pretty lax and I shouldn't be; especially when I usually have my 3 small children with me alone out and about everyday.

This man who has influenced this young man to take innocent people's lives, is sick. I feel sorry for them. I want them to remain in jail, not get the death penalty. -7:spinstar:

7. Thandiwe

Ratings:
    +2
    i think we all had the same type of sentiments, just knew he had to be a white man because black folx don't do things like this. at least that what we thought.

a friend of mine and i was also talking about this yesterday. though, as you say is politically incorrect, we both laughed when we brought up the subject of money. i too thought, we should have known it was a black man when he asked for money. and if we would have known they wanted the money wired to jamaica, then that would have been the telltale sign right there.

actually this is one of those times that i shall use a bible verse, "an eye for an eye" i think is appropriate in this case.

and the boy, well he was just as responsible. he alluded to shooting the black liquor store clerk in AL.

i am waiting to hear more though. i'm curious as to why they would commit these acts. and from what i've heard through the media, they had been planning such acts since earlier this year or even last august when the elder john tried to buy a silencer.

with all the stuff that is happening here and abroad, i think we all should be alittle more conscious and cautious.

thanks for your comment, wildflower.

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    It's kinda weird, the depressing feeling of learning that they'd arrested black men for these crimes. I'm wondering why it affects me so. I mean, I should just be glad that they caught them, and I am ... but gosh ... black men??!!!

We already have so much more to overcome. We live in a society where folk are looking for us to do the wrong thing ... some even reveling in it ... and yes, even lying on us.

Why do I take what other black folk do so personally? Is it because I'm black, with black children, and black parents and grandparents ... yeah ... that must be it.

I belong to a few mailing lists and there are some who are saying the men were setup, that these crimes aren't the type that black men do, suggesting how could a black man who is homeless, own a gun that costs thousands of dollars, etc. ... refusing to believe that they may be guilty.

Very sad state of affairs.

:heart:

Destee

9. wildflower7

motherhood
    Ratings:
    +4
    Wasn't being homeless a choice he made rather than a circumstance of his life? He could've had those weapons for years. It is sad but I wasn't sad that they arrested 2 black men for this crime, rather I was sad for the lives they disrupted.

When the 13 yr old boy was shot, I thought the sniper meant to wound given all the other shots that caused instant deaths, but he really tried to kill him! That hurt my heart. -7

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    WildFlower ... I don't know if his being homeless was a choice, what makes you think that?

I'm not defending them if they are in fact guilty of these crimes ... homeless or not, black or white. I was just sharing what some other folk were saying on an email discussion list.

Agreeing with you, this is sad. My heart goes out to the victims, the families that have forever been devasted by these senseless acts.

I'm witcha WildFlower.

:heart:

Destee