Black People : The Secret/Law of Attraction: Does It Work for African Americans?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by FloatDarkMoon, Mar 12, 2008.

1. FloatDarkMoon

FloatDarkMoon Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Hotep Everyone,

Being a recent blogger on Destee, I have not come across a thread on the The Secret/Law of Attraction (LOA). I'd like to discuss this.

As a big fan and practioner, I wanted to get your thoughts on whether the practices in the movie The Secret, LOA, is applicable in the lives of African Americans.

Can we change our lives by thinking differently? Does the LOA go aginst the Bible? If so, how? If you believe in it and follow its teachings, does it erase racism/white supremacy? Can you really live a good life in America or are you just a product of what white people want you to be?

In addition, are you reading/participating in the Oprah and Eckhart Tollie web event (NAYY)? What are your thoughts?

Floating DarkMoon
    Hut Sut Ra

2. hiphopolx

hiphopolx Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +209

I saw the video, I thought it was shallow, and it encouraged materialism. Plus it can be seen as a confirmation to continue an unrequited relationship a person may have. In other words I see this 'secret' technique breeding more stalkers.

Hotep

3. FloatDarkMoon

Ratings:
    +0
    Hotep hiphopolx,

Can you explain how it encourages materialism when they do repeat that one can have anything they wanted, including spiritual and physical health?

And I really do not understand how this could breed stalkers...Please explain.

Floating DarkMoon
    Hut Sut Ra

4. hiphopolx

Ratings:
    +209
    Yes but emphasis was put on the material things. Law of attraction. The video showed ppl window shopping and how they could use the law of attraction to get the things you want, and/or any person you want. What if that person is spoken for? Do they talk about why we even want these things in the first place? If they did then I missed it and I've erred in my overall take of the '' Secret'' and I'm sure you'll let me know.

5. hiphopolx

Ratings:
    +209
    Ppl are in and out of relationships all the time. But some ppl don't know when to move on. If these ppl see or read the Secret's ''law of attraction'' they would waste more of their time trying to pursue their unrequited love. For example, I'm gonna think of her before I go to sleep, and before I go to work, and before every meal, and so on. If that love interest still don't return the feeling whats to tell me otherwise I'm not trying hard enough to put out the vibes necessary for the law of attraction to work. The next step is calling but if that person said 'don't call me no more' then I'll just call and hang up. Or maybe I need to get closer like behind her bushes at night for it to work. Did you see all the celebrities that endorsed this product? The video leads me to think the "Secret'' worked for them.(I'm not saying I believe the celebs but more than a few ppl take what ppl with prestige says to heart. That's why they are paid so much $$$ to back a product or service up) All these events could happen and could led to obsession. Not every time but, do we need anything else warping the perspective of reality of folks in these crazy times.:SuN035:

6. FloatDarkMoon

Ratings:
    +0

Hotep Hiphopolx,

The reason *I believe* they focused more heavily on material things is that people can relate to that more than they can relate to abstract concepts, similar to "inner peace". Then again, the example of the gay guy was supposed to illustrate "inner peace".

I hear this a lot of the time. The Law of Attraction is no substitute for morality, nor does it claim to be a moral system. There was mention of this, as well.

The scope of the Law of Attraction is to get people in alignment with what they want; "to get your mind right". It helps me establish goals, plan, and spark into action.

No one expects their car to chop vegetables; it was design only transport. Albeit, there are other uses, as a weapon of choice and a make out spot; its intended use was for transport. However, chopping vegetables has not caught on as one of its uses, nor would any "right-minded" person attempt to use their car to chop vegetables when there are machines designed to do that.

If you want a moral system, I invite you to seek out a religion.

May I suggest researching Buddhism if you have trouble reconciling materialism. The Law of Attraction is a tool to help you attract the things you want in your life.

Well, you did present you question/issues politely. I think that is the least I can do in return. :SuN018:

Floating DarkMoon
    Hut Sut Ra

7. imhotep06

imhotep06 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Web Applications Developer
    Ratings:
    +106
    I will talk about the Secret tonight on my RadioBlog

This is right on time. Check out my blog radio show (SImba Simbi) as we talk about the Secret Behind "The Secret." Here is the synopsis:

SUNDAY, MARCH 16, 2008 - 6pm CENTRAL STANDARD TIME / 7PM EASTERN STANDARD TIME

Topic of Discussion:
    The Secret Behind THE SECRET?

What is the Law of Attraction? Were the Greeks really the first ones to "discover" this great "secret?" How old is this "secret?" Should it be kept a secret? Is there more to the "secret" than what the book and the film is telling us? How do African people apply this concept in their everyday lives? How can you use the secret to better your life? How does African spiritual concepts and synchronicity play into all of this?

These questions and more will be answered on this Sunday, March 16th on Simba Simbi. Our special guest for the night is Oba Femi Fayimi of Houston, TX and we will be taking your questions throughout the show. So make sure you call to participate in the dialogue.

Simba Simbi radio program
    http://www.blogtalkradio.com/simbasimbi

8. FloatDarkMoon

Ratings:
    +0
    Hotep Hiphopolx,

I hope you are not attributing stalking to the movie The Secret that came out less than two years ago...:10500:

First, unless you can point to a single stalking case related to the LOA, then I invite you avoid attributing "what if" scenarios to it, as we can make anything up to cast a "negative" light on the LOA.

To address your issues, the Law of Attraction (LOA) does not encourage people to spend their time on things that falter. The point of integrating the LOA into one's "spirit" is so that one's wants align with reality.

Wishful thinking and the LOA are separate things.

Second, the thing is that when people say they want a certain person, they really want what that person represents to them and they attract people like themselves. The LOA helps one identify the qualities in a person that they want and assist in "vibing" with those qualities.

For example, if someone says they want to marry Michael Jordan, what they really are saying is "I want someone who is rich, athletic, tall, dark, handsome, famous, etc." If they actually met Michael Jordan and they were a poor match, then they would not likely stalk him.

Instead, they will still seek out those qualities that are in another person because they want their mate to be rich, famous, tall, etc. and the likelihood that a rich and famous person meeting, dating and marrying a "commoner" is REALLY slim.

In comes the LOA. The person says, "I got to vibe with rich and famous people to have a chance to meet and marry one". The idea of marrying "Michael Jordan" falls away.

I think you are just pulling this out of the air.

Yes.

Isn't that the point??? LOL!

I feel you. :em2300:

"Coulda, shoulda woulda" It could happen and lead to obsession, but it also give people the focus and attention to take responsibility for their lives...Give me a concrete example, from the last two years, where The Secret and/or The LOA DID contribute to stalking and then I can believe you.

Not once, to date.

Finally, the LOA takes people from mindless 'wanting' to focused attention and action. Maybe outcome focusing is too "out there" for you, but for many it is creating wonderful lives. It is meant to untangle rather than tangle or warp one's mind.

:rain:

Floating DarkMoon
    Hut Sut Ra

9. FloatDarkMoon

Ratings:
    +0
    Hotep Simba Simbi,

Nice meeting you here!

Yes, I'm aware of this program, as I am the Hostess of Solutions Now! Radio on BlogTalkRadio.com (Candice L. Mason) and I have made sure that I will download this program regardless of my participation. Waiting for a great discussion!

:dj:

Floating DarkMoon
    Hut Sut Ra

10. imhotep06

imhotep06 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Web Applications Developer
    Ratings:
    +106
    Hutuapo (htp/hotep)

I appreciate it. I hope we get some callers in. I find a lot of discussion on this topic and I think we have a distorted view of the original philosophy. I hope to bring some clarity about the matter.