Science and Technology : The Search Goes On for Earthlike Planet(s)...

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Chevron Dove, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    Even though I realize the future relevance that searching for new phenomena could bring to the planet earth and to a few humans living out our lives on earth, it still amazes me in regards to efforts that are funded in the search to find an earthlike planet. I think now, if scientist were to find such a planet, I know I wouldn't be allowed to go there unless I opted to apply for the position of a slave mammy or something, and then, why go if I chose to give up my soul to be 2/3rds of a human. If humans on this planet were ever able to find an earthlike planet and set up on it, I'd have to be able to live longer than my life expectancy here, and be able to live for about 400 years before I would even be considered to go to this new found planet and perhaps get a rent-a-house to live and then pay taxes and etc. I don't know... At any rate, I foun this article to be interesting. It about two stars that were at one point thought to be earthlike planets but now, it is determined that they are not at all.

I do think it is fascinating though how scientist have came up with a process on how to search or and identify faraway stars that could be earthlike planets. In one regard, The NASA Kepler mission observes the light of a star as a planet passes in front of it, which is a transit, and apparently they regard the kind of planets that exist within 'the habitible zone' of their sun star. But again, this article explains that a mistake has been made about two stars that was once thought to be earthlike planets. I also thought one of the comments by a poster named "Commenter" and fit alongside my thoughts, and of which I have also posted.

Two 'Earth-like' planets don't exist
    By Kerry Sheridan July 3, 2014 5:16 PM
    Washington (AFP) - US scientists said Thursday two distant Earth-like planets, which some believed might be able to harbor life, do not actually exist and that astronomers were confused by a star's sunspots….

…
    "These two Goldilocks planets that people have been talking about, unfortunately, based on our research are not real," said co-author Suvrath Mahadevan, assistant professor in the department of astronomy and astrophysics.

http://news.yahoo.com/two-earth-planets-dont-exist-211632207.html

Commenter 34 minutes ago
    Damned good thing we don't have the colonization ships on the way! Do we?

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    we can't take care of the planet that we already have.......