Health and Wellness : The Scarlet F - Why fat shaming harms health, and how we can change the conversation

The facts are, just like the opioid epidemic, being fat is a self inflicted injury.

They were encouraged to lose weight. We have forgotten to teach cooking to our kids. That's our fault

We did hard work. We weren't fat because we worked it off

Fast food is a choice

What and how much you eat is a choice

Agreed. But door dash and grub hub have equalized the field. Moreover, grocery stores deliver now

With the overwhelming majority, exercise works

Kemetstry,

This thread clearly says in its title : Why fat shaming harms health, and how we can change the conversation

You don't care if it harms and you have no interest in changing the conversation.

Yet here you are with your same old callous bullying commentary about people you feel have not demonstrated the best choices at all times. They are no different than the rest of us, some wounds show and some do not. Some only show when a person opens their mouth and speaks ...

It makes me sad. Sad for all the little girls with a few extra pounds worrying about what others will say and think of them. Sad that these words are here, with the ability to cause harm.

If you continue to speak in this thread, with nothing substantive to add as it relates to the title - I will quote your remarks with the following :

Opinions expressed belong solely to the author and do not represent the views of other Members, Management, or the Community at large.

You're entitled to your opinion and I'll put up with it as long as I can but my patience is short already.

I'm reminded of our mission statement again :

Every Sister and Brother is welcome to interact here, respectfully.

Every single Sister and Brother in the entire world, no matter how they live, what they think, how they worship, if they're unemployed, a killer, a drug dealer, crack addict, alcoholic, single Mother, illiterate, educated, politician, actor, rapper, teacher, singer, christian, muslim, atheist, demon, angel, robber, pimp, prostitute, grandmother, grandfather, short, tall, fat, skinny, dark, light, permed, pressed, natural, student, scholar, dropout, felon, police, judge, doctor, lawyer, blind, homosexual, straight, krazee, krippled ... do you get my point ... ??

Every Sister and Brother is welcome to interact here, respectfully.

We will not work hard to make everyone feel welcome, tell them to make themselves at home, then sit back and watch you attack them. That is not the reason we have created this community and welcomed everyone, to set them up so you can kill them. In fact, it is at this very juncture, that your agenda, and the community's agenda, is clashing. At this point, you need to stop and/or leave. I am not taking this position because I have personally experienced all of these things, but my people have, which means ... as they are, so am i ... whether I like it or not. That is me. That is my people, and I don't believe we can afford to throw even one away, at this dire time in our existence! I believe with love, patience, understanding, and encouragement, we can get through all these things and more, together. I will not give up on us, my people, and I will not let anyone make them not feel welcome in this community.

If the above is true, can we also personally disparage the same people, while welcoming them?

That is rhetorical, for me to answer.

:heart:

Destee

Kem obesity is a problem I know but I think people should be encouraged to lose weight and not shamed. I visited Florida a few years and was in a supermarket. This African American woman looked obese. As I glanced at her trolley all I saw was junk food. Salty snacks and foods with no nutritional value. I did not see fruits or vegetables. I am sure there are people who are obese and are trying to do something about it. Losing weight is not as easy as it seems.
I am a slim woman but tend not to be harsh towards those who are fat. My grandparents on both sides were very slim people.

Remember black folks diet during slavery was terrible and to the present day it has affected many. What I have noticed about African Americans is their love of fatty and greasy food especially those who live in the Southern part of the USA the fast food industry has contributed to obesity. It is time for those who are obese to realise that they alone are responsible for their health. People should return to cooking their own food. I think if this is done there will be a great change in black folks health.

Fast food has become more accessible and people need to realise that they are responsible for their health. The older a person is the more difficult. I think education is the key. obese. There are folks who have a big bone structure.

Thank you Sister for adding on ... :love:

You're right, there are lots of reasons why we manifest the way we do, so many factors.

We must meet each other where we are, try to embrace if we can, but certainly, make the situation no worse for the other. There are a host of self-inflicted wounds we suffer from. I don't think this one is much different than all the rest.

Thank you Sister! :)

Loving Us!

Destee

um, no.
I could give various example of friends throughout my life but the one that sticks out at that moment is a close friend of something something like over 30 years.
He's always been what we'd call over weight. He's always worked hard............he's a roofer. He still puts up the staging, he still climbs the ladders, he still throws around slate, copper and asphalt in hot or cold weather...........he also still carries more body mass than is (I think) good for him. And to be clear, we're not just talking about being large, I am saying rolls of it.
While I on the other hand can not put an ounce of fat on my frame no matter what I eat or how much, never have been able to. The only way I can gain any weight is through muscle mass.

Thank you! :)

Yes, while we all have bodies, every body is not the same, and is not suppose to be.

If we were all suppose to be the same, we'd all be the same height, same color, same weight, same everything, but we are not.

Each person has value and is deserving of proper consideration no matter their physical characteristics.

We are not all the same. I agree.

Thanks again.

Destee

Kemetstry,

This thread clearly says in its title : Why fat shaming harms health, and how we can change the conversation

You don't care if it harms and you have no interest in changing the conversation.

Yet here you are with your same old callous bullying commentary about people you feel have not demonstrated the best choices at all times. They are no different than the rest of us, some wounds show and some do not. Some only show when a person opens their mouth and speaks ...

It makes me sad. Sad for all the little girls with a few extra pounds worrying about what others will say and think of them. Sad that these words are here, with the ability to cause harm.

If you continue to speak in this thread, with nothing substantive to add as it relates to the title - I will quote your remarks with the following :

Opinions expressed belong solely to the author and do not represent the views of other Members, Management, or the Community at large.

You're entitled to your opinion and I'll put up with it as long as I can but my patience is short already.

I'm reminded of our mission statement again :

If the above is true, can we also personally disparage the same people, while welcoming them?

That is rhetorical, for me to answer.

Destee

Health is harmed by the fat. The data clearly shows that. Thus, ....

The conversation was started with a false premise

I presented facts. I presented solutions. Refute them. Thus far, none of you have. Therefore, the only bully here is, ....

A few extra pounds isn't obesity.

You haven't presented any credible counter.

You have presented opinions. I have presented:

Obesity is also associated with the leading causes of death in the United States and worldwide, including diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and some types of cancer. Healthy behaviors include regular physical activity and healthy eating.

Adult Obesity Causes & Consequences | Overweight & Obesity ...

www.cdc.gov/obesity/adult/causes.html

www.cdc.gov/obesity/adult/causes.html

Which you have yet to refute. Because you can't? Did you even read the CDC article????

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back