Health and Wellness : The Scarlet F - Why fat shaming harms health, and how we can change the conversation

Destee

destee.com
destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
The Scarlet F - Why fat shaming harms health, and how we can change the conversation

Fat shaming is rife online, from snarky social media comments on the latest celebrity weight gain to websites devoted to sharing “funny” photos and stories of fat people and their gluttonous behavior. On fat-acceptance blogs, the comment sections are often filled by a creature known as the “concern troll,” a source of unsolicited advice wrapped in a mantle of moral superiority. They say, for example: “She should really be exercising and eating better! Her joints must be taking a beating!” and “As one of my favorite quotes says, ‘Treat your body like it belongs to someone you love.’ Those who can’t—criticize them for being an illogical, unhealthy danger to everyone.”

::
::

Browsing the Internet I see people of all ages surgically altering their bodies. Reports of late suggest that young females have suicidal thoughts and actions, based on online fat shaming, negative body image, etc. While I don't think my own children will succumb to such pressure, my grandchildren might. The pressure is great to look "perfect" based on another's definition, and as time passes, it only seems to be growing greater.

Those who are care, will couch conversation accordingly.

Loving Us!

:heart:

Destee

You can see it on youtube. Young girls / women / men documenting their plastic surgery. Many not even fully developed yet. There's even a plastic surgery place that does the work live, on the Internet. I was watching one, where the fat is taken out of the body, goes into this cylinder type device, to be returned to your body in another spot. It was terrible to watch. I had to look away, did not finish. I immediately felt one with my fat, protective of it. Even breast augmentation, seems simple on the surface, but watch a video of it being done. OMG. And word is, once is not enough. If you begin down this road, you're on it to stay. You have to keep going back to get what you got fixed, fixed again.

One cannot be themselves anymore, it simply is not sufficient.

Destee

:bs: The #1 cause of death in this country is obesity. Fat should be shamed

The #1 cause of death in this country is obesity.

Real scientists say otherwise :

Leading Causes of Death​

Data are for the U.S.
Number of deaths for leading causes of death
  • Heart disease: 659,041
  • Cancer: 599,601
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 173,040
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 156,979
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 150,005
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 121,499
  • Diabetes: 87,647
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 51,565
  • Influenza and pneumonia: 49,783
  • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,511

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back