Black Positive People : The Sankofa Project

cherryblossom

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 28, 2009
What is The Sankofa Project?

Sankofa is an African word from the Akan tribe in Ghana. Sankofa is symbolized by bird moving forward but looking backward with an egg in its mouth -- the egg has been collected because it holds the wisdom of the past and is necessary to fulfill the promise of the future. The literal translation of the word and the symbol is "it is not taboo to fetch what is at risk of being left behind."

In keeping with the meaning of the word, The Sankofa Project is committed to providing prevention and intervention programs and services to promote a desire for learning in youth who live in communities where education is often not valued by their peers. The Sankofa Project uses positive peer pressure, psychosocial and family mentoring support to help students, who might otherwise be left behind, identify their academic goals and make rewarding career path choices.

http://www.sankofaproject.org/

In the Spirit of Sankofa and Peace and Love!

What is The Sankofa Project?

Sankofa is an African word from the Akan tribe in Ghana. Sankofa is symbolized by bird moving forward but looking backward with an egg in its mouth -- the egg has been collected because it holds the wisdom of the past and is necessary to fulfill the promise of the future. The literal translation of the word and the symbol is "it is not taboo to fetch what is at risk of being left behind."

In keeping with the meaning of the word, The Sankofa Project is committed to providing prevention and intervention programs and services to promote a desire for learning in youth who live in communities where education is often not valued by their peers. The Sankofa Project uses positive peer pressure, psychosocial and family mentoring support to help students, who might otherwise be left behind, identify their academic goals and make rewarding career path choices.

http://www.sankofaproject.org/

Real talk sister cherryblossom, for real:)

BRILLIANT.

I agree. We have to go beyond shouting and degrading these children, and their culture...to try to relate on their level and bring awareness of the opportunities in education.

I knew you were that type. Not one to endlessly babble on about metaphysics, religions, doctrines (not that you cant, Ive read your poetry..LOL) but I could sense you were pro-active in your endeavors.

Here in Philly we have several grass-roots based programs. To assist young black males who were incarcerated. Im part of one of those organizations.

Its just beautiful to see that you care and not just some surface-dwelling demagouge, trying to enhance his/her status on Destee.

I wish you all the best. We see your concern, and respect your efforts.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back