Black People : The Rules of Racial Standing by Derrick Bell

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by oldsoul, Jan 7, 2009.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976

The Rules of Racial Standing by Derrick A. Bell

FIRST RULE
    The law grants litigants standing to come into court based on their having sufficient personal interest and involvement in the issue to justify judicial congnizance. Black people (while they may be able to get into court) are denied such standing legitimacy in the world generally when they discuss their negative experiences with racism or even when they attempt to give a positive evaluation of another black person or of his work. No matter what their experience or expertise, blacks' statements involving race are deemed 'special pleading' and thus not entitled to serious consideration.

SECOND RULE
    Not only are blacks' complaints discounted, but black victims of racism are less effective witnesses than are whites, who are members of the oppressor class. This phenomenon reflects a widespread assumption that blacks, unlike whites, cannot be objective on racial issues and will favor their own no matter what. This deep seated belief fuels a continuing effort - despite all manner of Supreme Court decisions intended to curb the practice - to keep black people off juries in cases involving race. Black judges hearing racial cases are eyed suspiciously and sometimes asked to recuse themselves in favor of a white judge - without those making the request even being aware of the paradox in their motions.

THIRD RULE
    Few blacks avoid diminishment of racial standing, most of their statements abot racial condidtions being diluted and their recommendations of other blacks taken with a grain of salt. The ususal exception to this rule is the black person who publicly disparages or criticizes other blacks who are speaking or acting in ways that upset whites. Instantly, such statements are granted 'enhanced standing' even when the speaker has no special expertise or experience in the subject he or she is criticizing.

FOURTH RULE
    When a black person or group makes a statement or takes an action that the white community or vocal components thereof deem "outrageous," the latter will actively recruit blacks willing to refute the statement or condemn the action. Blacks who respond to the call to condemnation will receive superstanding status. The blacks who refuse to be recruited will be interpreted as endorsing the statements and action and may suffer political or economic reprisals.

FIFTH RULE
    For the rest: Click here

2. OnTyme

OnTyme Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    this is a very true and very real post, and the sad thing is it puts blacks in professional environments into a position, of having to "look neutral", and looking neutral usually means being harder on other black people.
    Further more it propagates the "crabs in the bucket" mentality. where blacks that are dissenters are given preferential treatment.
    if a black person testimony's that they experienced racism, they will find a black to say no that is not racism. that is why dissension within the black community and some individuality while still maintaining harmony, and still being conscious are so important.
    I am glad I have the opportunity to learn from others such as yourself.

3. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Furthermore, here on my American College/University campus, we have to maintain the same mentality as traditional white folks. I came here to find my brothas and sistahs dressing like them, acting like them, speaking like them, all for the sake of earning their approval. It makes me further question the concept of being "African-American."

KWABENA

4. Prizmm

Prizmm Well-Known Member MEMBER

Becoming Universal
    Ratings:
    +22

I have for many years now been about the work of developing greater awareness, in an effort to contribute to the destruction of this racist construct. I was exposed to Derrick Bell in a law class decades ago while in college, everything I understood at that time has been rendered useless by the UICCSC, which actually says all that you have provided here and some. Thanks Brother for the affirmation! Peace!

5. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
  6. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Well they ain't doing that at Howard University and I have discovered while hanging on those campuses that when black people are amongst themselves and feel comfortable, we be seriously having discussions all about them devils!!!

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I agree with all above , this why change is needed how we act/ think and move .....being ourselves no matter who,what or where