Black People : The Rules: Making sense of race and privilege

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by UBNaturally, Mar 28, 2015.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    The Rules
    Making sense of race and privilege

upload_2015-3-28_7-57-23.png
    Lawrence Otis Graham is an attorney in New York and the author of 14 books, including “Our Kind of People” and “The Senator and The Socialite.”

upload_2015-3-28_8-23-23.png

I knew the day would come, but I didn’t know how it would happen, where I would be, or how I would respond. It is the moment that every black parent fears: the day their child is called a ******.

My wife and I, both African-Americans, constitute one of those Type A couples with Ivy League undergraduate and graduate degrees, who, for many years, believed that if we worked hard and maintained great jobs, we could insulate our children from the blatant manifestations of bigotry that we experienced as children in the 1960s and ’70s. We divided our lives between a house in a liberal New York suburb and an apartment on Park Avenue, sent our three kids to a diverse New York City private school, and outfitted them with the accoutrements of success: preppy clothes, perfect diction, and that air of quiet graciousness. We convinced ourselves that the economic privilege we bestowed on them could buffer these adolescents against what so many black and Latino children face while living in mostly white settings: being profiled by neighbors, followed in stores, and stopped by police simply because their race makes them suspect.

But it happened nevertheless in July, when I was 100 miles away.

Read complete article
    http://paw.princeton.edu/issues/2014/10/08/pages/7596/

2. CosmicMessenger

CosmicMessenger Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +945
    Racism has been happening to the "black elite" since they've been in existence! (even before Jack Johnson in the 1900's)

Was he THAT brainwashed???

He should have known that!

3. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
    Are there more affluent brothas/sistas like that who, in spite of 'success', who have similar
    'realizations'?

4. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Is one asking because one doubts there are more, or is one asking because one is looking for others to corroborate and compare experiences?

5. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
    The latter.

6. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Black family's $3.5m mansion FIREBOMBED in suspected hate crime:
    Married lawyer and pharmacist fear racists were out to kill them with attack in 84% white neighborhood

February 7, 2015
    [​IMG]
    A Los Angeles family whose house was firebombed early Wednesday, causing $200,000 worth of damage, said they considered moving away, convinced they were the targets of a hate crime.

But Ronald and Malissia Clinton have chosen to stay after being inundated with support from the local community in Manhattan Beach.

more...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-house-firebombed-say-victims-hate-crime.html