Black Women : the rolling of the eyes

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by oldiesman, Apr 13, 2006.

1. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    i don't know if this has been covered before,but i don't know of another race of women who can roll thier eyes like black women,now i know that at times it may be called for,but sometimes ladies it's not and at those times a brother can be made to feel kinda bad[it says that you think that the man in sight is lower than dirt],let me hear from the brothers and sisters on this one.

2. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    A brother is always on the move so our eyes have to follow:smooch:

3. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34

Ignore it......

4. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Oldiesman.........

Good observation. I don't know of another race of women who has reason to roll their eyes the way we do. It's a gesture. I've been told I roll my eyes........untrue.......because I don't make much eye contact with folks anyway. If I witness something disheartening, am I not allowed to "look away in disgust"? It's the same as twiddling a thumb, flipping the hair, hands on hips, or sucking teeth, or twisting the lips. Sorry if our gestures offend you:crying:

5. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    truth be told...it really doesn't bother me that much....
    i believe it's the equivilent of saying whatever...
    and i say that a lot...lol

one love
    khasm

6. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    LOL. OK. What-ev-er...*rollseyes*.......

7. Bisabee

Bisabee Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    Keep in mind that this is coming from my old-fashioned upbringing.

I think eye rolling is one of those behaviors like neck-rolling that give Black women a bad rep. It's one of those behaviors that might be fun to do and might me entertaining to some people to watch but it's considered "ghetto" or uncouth by many other Black people as well as many others in society. Also, In general, I don't think Black people should always be so open in what we're feeling or thinking when we are around others. We need to learn to be more subtle and sneaky lol, because when others who don't mean you well know how you really think or feel about them, this can backfire on you. Black people are famous for giving people a piece of our minds, but does this pay off for us?

Coming from my old-fashioned upbringing, my father taught us to never say anything negative about a Black person to a white person or reveal our real feelings about anything to white people or anybody else who could use our honesty against us. Why? Well, why let your enemy know your negative feelings about him/her. This enables them to be forewarned because forewarned is forearmed.

I know this sound very ancient to some here, but it still applies.

8. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    I agree totally.

9. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Well, I'm sitting here actually trying to recall if I have ever "rolled my eyes." :?:

See, in my house, eye rollin' woulda got you knocked ****-eyed and seeing little tweety birds and stuff. lol

So, that particular gesture, I don't think I ever incorporated into my behavior!

Now, IF I have ever used it, you can bet, I did it because I MEANT it as the sign of DISGUST it is.

'Kinda like saying of someone's mother, "Yo MAMMY!" -----Back in tha day, that was the ULTIMATE insult!