Black Entertainment : The Rise and Fall of Hip-Hop

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by HerukhuMaat, Dec 9, 2003.

1. HerukhuMaat

HerukhuMaat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Hip-Hop has definitely gone mainstream. You now hear hip hop on news and sports telecasts and it's present in everyday venacular.

Hip-Hop has grown like a wildfire especially in the last 5 years. Hip-Hop artists top all the charts, are frequently nominated for Awards in all areas of media and entertainment. With its abundant growth, has the quality of the music been compromised? Are its artists just turning tricks, because there is just so much money to be made right now? has hip-hop grown to a raging inferno that will eventually consume itself? Personally I believe Hip-Hop is in its last days. What are your thoughts?

2. SayWord

SayWord Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Lost art

I think this topic was already talked about, but I think Hip Hop has become main stream. Usually when things become mainstream the quality goes down. The market right now is flooded with hip hop "artisit." Not all of them are talented and keep the craft great. I was listening to the radio the other day. And the question was posed, "Why aren't people buying labums the way that they use to?" Answer: Albums have become really bad. There is no substance anymore. 2 hot songs don't make a great album. Some people might say it's because of the internet, but if you are a FAN of an artist and their music, you'd support them. Why waste 10 to 15 dollars on an album that only has possibly 3 good songs. Hip Hop is slowly on the decline. But there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Kanye West, Mos Def and others are going to keep the craft alive. Camron and NORE and Julez Santana they make me :puke:

3. Royal_T

Royal_T Well-Known Member MEMBER

LAW ENFORCEMENT SOMETHING!?!
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think the industry is plagued with b.s. I don't believe hip hop is mainstream...the rap game is the negative alter ego to hip hop. Hip hop will continue to be underground funded, but we must educate folks that there is a difference.

4. HerukhuMaat

HerukhuMaat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a discussion about underground funded hiphop because it's ironic that many underground/unsigned by a major label artists seek to get "a record deal". Isn't the whole point of making music is to be eventually signed to a big deal? Sometimes people get on artists after they blow up, saying that they sold out, however the rap game if you're signed to a major deal is just about dollars and cents for the record company. They want the highest return on their investment and it helps to have a broad audience or big markets that will play and buy your music. Now the quality of the music is still a responsibility of the artist, but you can't really expect the underground (very small market) to make anyone a millionaire.

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    hip hop will be around a long time if it's funded underground
    over the table or any means hip hop is still highly sought
    like R&B and pop .

6. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    a perfect example of how hip-hop has gone down
    redman...
    his last album malpratice was so horrible...yuk
    you would have never know that the funk doctor spock was a master at lyrical skills...
    compare muddy waters or dare iz a darkside to malpratice
    and you'll see what i'm talking about....

another example
    o.c.
    his first album word life was a classic
    his last album that came out in 2001 was booty...

the new mainstream sound is garbage...it pisses me off that it is even considered music...the only radio satation in the chi i listen to is wkkc and whbk...wgci can kiss my natural black @ss...hopefully this disturbing trend in music won't last...got rapping chinese midgets thinking that they can rap and make cash...i agree with sayword them cats make me earl...
    one love
    khasm

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    surely it will hit back with a bang !
    it has fallen into a slump from the artist
    that we hear now