Black People : The real story of "dog food" being sent to starving kenyans

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by PoeticManifesta, Feb 24, 2006.

1. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    I like to deal in facts, so I took it upon myslef to email not only mighty mix, but also the recieving orphanage as well to get to the bottom of all the questions.. of health issues.. why the dog food etc. The response was startling..

Subject: Mighty Mix
    Date: 2/22/2006 6:27:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
    Reply To:
    To: [email protected]
    CC:
    BCC:
    Sent on:

Sent from the Internet (Details)

Erewhon Station is a world away from Rusinga Island in Kenya’s Lake Victoria, but earlier this month both became intrinsically linked in the eyes of both national and international media.
    The link between these two disparate locations is Christine Drummond, the co- owner of Erewhon Station, who found herself in the middle of a media maelstrom over her intentions to offer aid to orphaned children living at the Mercy Mission village on Rusinga Island.
    Drummond is the founder of the dog food company Mighty Mix, and in a spectacular mix-up, the media misconstrued her aid efforts, claiming she was sending dog food to feed the orphans.
    What Drummond has done is send money that has been used to buy maize to feed orphans, as well as bread, beans and two nanny goats that which are supplying milk for babies.
    Drummond says some of the maize was used to feed orphans at an outreach day that was held at the village on February 11. At this day, all orphans from the Lake Victoria area, an area around the size of Mid Canterbury, were invited for a meal.
    There are estimated to be 300,000 orphans in this region.
    Drummond’s donation has also bought enough material to make school uniforms for some of the 84 orphans at the Mercy Mission village, and paid for five older children to be educated at year 11 stage.
    Supplying uniforms enables the children to be educated, as Kenyan children are not able to attend school without a uniform.
    Drummond has also sent freeze-dried beef mince to the village. Once re-hydrated with water, this mince makes a beef tea for very young children, and provides a high protein, high iron food for toddlers.
    Mighty Mix Wholesale Ltd, a company completely separate from her dog food company, makes this product, and this is where the confusion began.
    After the story broke in local media, international media quickly picked up on the story and Drummond found herself having to defend her aid efforts to an overseas audience.
    In line with the old adage that any publicity is good publicity, Drummond says the mix-up has thrust the Mercy Mission village into the limelight, gaining the attention of international aid agencies.
    Drummond’s connection with the Mercy Mission village began at a local Clydesdale Horse Society meeting.
    It was there she met Amberley woman Lois McGirr who was collecting clothes, blankets, shoes, pens and other aid items to send to the Mission.
    McGirr’s daughter had worked as a Worker on Organic Farms (WOFer) on Rusinger Island, and had been so moved by the plight of the children in the orphanage, that she and her mother had organised an aid package.
    The story of children similarly captured Drummond’s heart, and drove her to start her own appeal.
    She has opened an account with the National bank in Blenheim, under the name of Mighty Mix Children’s Relief, into which donations can be placed.
    This money will be sent to the Mission to help continue to buy food, uniforms, pay school fees and help supply the village with clean water.
    McGirr says at the moment a lady with a donkey goes to lake and fills buckets, which she delivers to the villagers. This water is not clean, but many villagers don’t realise this.
    A New Zealand woman Siets Andrings is volunteering in the village, and she along with the co-ordinator of the orphanage Francis Opiyo, are communicating on the needs of the village with Drummond and McGirr.
    In an open letter to media, Opiyo confirmed that the story claiming dog food was to be sent to the orphanage was untrue.
    He says the dog food offer has been officially reported as a misunderstanding by the leading Kenyan media house, The Daily Nation newspaper.
    “We are grateful for Christine for her donation, we are going to purchase good tonnes of maize so these orphans can eat well, and I wish to challenge those out there to be brave and come out like Christine.
    “If you mind their lives and don’t want them to die, please do something.
    He says they need clothes, food, shoes, textbooks, access to clean water and school fees.
    While Drummond and McGirr have been upset with the way some media have handled the story on their attempts to supply aid to the village, they remain undeterred in her efforts to help the children, and have been spurred on by positive messages from Opiyo.
    “You are such a heroine, you are such great women of valour that I have come to admire.
    “You do rock the world, you do shake the world, you do shape the world.”

2. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    As my Mama would say " See that's how lies get started" ......Thank you for posting that......

MississippiRed

3. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Good lookin out on this mix up poetic. It's good to know.

4. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I applaud you for making a proactive step to get more info on this.

While I still wonder if the claims that it was made-up are true, it is still nice to get other sources of information.

5. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I'd like to see as much effort put into us sending aid ourselves. Instead of researching to see what really happened in that story, why not research to see what reputable organizations we can send food to?

6. PoeticManifesta

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    Well unlike some.. who loved the drama.. im a factual person. In your own words.. pan.. "You cant believe everything the media tells you." So when I saw the story on here and posted the contents.. i took it upon myself at that time to email the company and org. involved... as most ppl are when trying to derail hunger.. they were busy.. but the reciept of the email was confirmed on both parts... and i recieved one response 2days ago.. and the other today. Its about getting the facts... not the drama

7. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    WE CERTAINLY need more of this fact-finding up in here! Good lookin out Poetic!
    :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

8. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34

I agree. It's one thing to be outraged by soemthing that really went down, it's another thing to turn a blind-eye to the facts just so you can have something to complain about. Stupid media mixing the facts up. I hope they apologized to this lady.

9. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    Thank you for the clarification Sistren PoeticManifesta

God bless her...smh...See how folks do ??? :hammer: ol' knotheads (media) !!!

10. PoeticManifesta

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    so you havent sent ur check yet... ? I signed up for more volunteer work.. and i sent enough money 2 sebd 2 children 2 school.