Black People : The Real Deal About "Uncle Tom's Cabin"

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Fine1952, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,782
    "Uncle Tom's Cabin"

This information is noteworthy for News&World Events rather than Books forum!

I always steered from reading "Uncle Tom's Cabin, but information of enlightenment that has been sitting for 11 years in a book called "Black Labor, White Wealth" by Claud Anderson (JET Magazine called it "the second Bible for black Americans "), revealed to me that I and you have the definition all wrong of an "Uncle Tom" -- ALL W-R-O-N-G!!

A Sambo is really an Uncle Tom. Therefore, when you use this catch phrase you are exalting the person rather than denigating them.

We don't read. We don't research. We don't investigate what we speak as truth, collectively.

I went to the library, and read the book--cause it's marked as a reference book (brainchild of USA Patriot Act) and I could not take it out of the library. -- Lo and behold Dr. Claud Anderson, Ed.D. is correct.

So the saying is true. If you want to hide something from a black person just hide it in a book.

Don't get me wrong I am guilty too... :dance3:

Fine

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hello Brother Fine1952 ... i've not read this book, but during one of Brother OldSoul's classes, he shared a little about "Uncle Tom." Now don't quote me, because i can't quote him exactly ... but the jist of what he said was ... during the time our people were enslaved ... the term "Uncle" was one of respect we showed to each other. So if a Brother was referred to as "Uncle" somebody, he was held in high esteem amongst other Sisters and Brothers. The enslavers recognized this, and began to exploit this high level of consideration, ultimately making "Uncle Tom" or "Uncle Anybody" ... a bad thing to be. Virtually taking from us again, established levels of respect we had for each other. Brother OldSoul, if i got it wrong, please correct me.

Now what i really need to do, is read the book.

Thanks for letting me share.

:heart:

Destee