Black People : The Real Cost Of Change

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Hello Family,

I just read where Sister Queenie said ...

and it made me think of Brother Oldsoul's Online Consciousness Class a week or so ago. In it he spoke about how great the cost became to Sisters and Brothers during the Civil Rights Era ... and how that cost became too great for many to deal with ... and so the government effectively shut all the protesting down.

While we seek solutions to what we are experiencing, do we have any idea what it's going to cost us?

Brother Oldsoul said ... and please, don't think i'm quoting him or coming anywhere close to the actual wisdom he shared ... you all really need to check out his class ... man ... wisdom and knowledge pouring from this Brother's heart, during every one of his classes!

But anyway ... Brother Oldsoul said that during the Civil Rights Era, the government used "mass incarceration" as a means to stifle any outbursts from yall. In the beginning it was just a misdemeanor to protest, if you were arrested, but that soon changed ... and it became a FELONY, perhaps with some other added stuff on top of that (beatings, mistreatment, injustice, false charges, etc.)! Not just one or two getting arrested, but MASS INCARCERATION, bunches of Sisters and Brothers getting locked up at one time! In addition, he said that Sisters were more than willing to lay their bodies on the line, be arrested, go through whatever they had to ... but that was greater than the Brothers could stand to see ... so Sisters were encouraged not to do this.

We all know right now that prisons are filled with us, with few being there for protesting ... so what would it look like if we gave them a reason?

What will the real cost be, for change to take place?

Are you willing to pay that price?

:heart:

Destee

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    You ask a great question Sister Destee and as I read your message, a thought came to me that the choices we have are between walking around freely with our minds incarcerated versus standing up for your rights against oppression and risking our bodies being incarcerated too. To me, neither is acceptable but one is an option for us to each choose that we all will have to make eventually. In the end, as the light begins to dim on our lives as we grow older, what would you rather look back on your life and say, that you played it safe, or you took the risks that were necessary to fight for what you truly believed? Among us there will always be the passive who will choose the safe route, and those more aggressive who would rather fight than to be disrespected and enslaved. This is a very tough question and I, by no means, intend for it to sound as though it's an easy or simple one to answer because it's not. I've never been in jail before, nor prison. Beyond a traffic ticket, I've never had a negative encounter with the "law". It's scarey to know that we're being watched and listened to for subversive behavior. It's even scarier to think that there's absolutely NOTHING that we can do to change things. But as bleak as it may seem, I also believe that there are things we can do that can have a direct impact on the system...especially the economic system and political system. I'm not talking about running out into the streets with guns blazing ... :uzi: No, we have to use our HEADS better than that because we know what that will bring down on us. We have the ability to think and figure this out, but we first must want to do that an come together with a plan that works on a massive scale.

That's my opinion anyway.

Queenie :spinstar:

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Firstly, Sister Destee, great question! Are we willing to pay the price? Well, that is one of those as yet to be determined questions, but, as Sister Queenie said, if we use our heads, there wont be any need for any of us to go to da joint.

The mass arrests of the 1960's were actually planned by leaders of the civil rights movement - particularly down in Birmingham during Project C, as it came to be called... "C" stood for Children, and was the brainchild of the Reverend James Bevel, who said that we must fill up their prisons to make Jim Crow Segregation an unmanageable, cost-prohibitive system. It worked because African youth down in Birmingham and elsewhere, were willing to pay prices some of the elders had not... Going to jail became a badge of honor and courage for our folks back then. You saw leaders jumping all over one another to go to prison like the youth were doing... They were literally shamed by the courage and committment of young African Americans.

Dr. Bernard Lafayette was 20 years old when he went down to Selma, Alabama, and did what generations of older Africans had failed to do - organize Africans for social and political empowerment. How did he do it??? By putting his frail body on the line, despite threats and a vicious beating meant to assassinate him... He wore his blood-caked tee-shirt through town, and refused to wear bandages on his battered skull. His courage and committment won the hearts of the community, and the rest is history... All of those brothers and sisters, like John Lewis, C.T. Vivian, Diane Nash, and Anne Moody to name a few, had to resign themselves to fight until death to change the system, and one cannot do that without a major psycho-spiritual committment.

We don't, Destee... We aint got to got to jail, because Our Ancestors been there and done that already... We need to make the committment, I feel, to stop spending our hard-earned dollars ten seconds after the check is cashed. We need to committ ourselves to becoming more money savvy, and investing wisely with our own, own as many buildings, and plots of land as we can... Make our churces build the institutions we need, rather than the beautiful domed glass structure with the mosaic windows - if you get my drift(smile!) It the joint don't educate my babies, then no money in the pan, man... If it don't provide after-school studies for my children, it is serving no purpose for our community except to anesthesize us, and make us more accepting of our oppression. It, therefore, is an enemy of our rise as a people...

To cut this short, Destee, NNQueen said it best... We just have to use our heads, change the way we think, take that inventory of self, and the group... It what we've been doing to this point hasn't changed anything, then we've obviously has the wrong program - or NO program - in place... We are the smartest, most well-trained Africans in the world, but because we don't use that education and training efficiently or wisely, other Africans wonder what da !@#$ is wrong with us??? Well, turns out they aren't the only ones asking that question... We, too, are asking ourselves this question daily at Destee's...(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I agree! How long do we have to ask the question before we accept the answer that is in front of us every day? Why won't we do what we know we must do if we want something different than what we've always gotten? We may believe that our votes don't count in political elections but how many of us think that if they withhold their money and keep it in their hands longer that it won't make much of a difference?

5. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I like this subject. I think that part of the problem is that alot of us black folks don't think that we are being oppressed in this day and age. I have talked to people that express appreciation for being in such a "free country". I think this is one reason why we tend to stay passive as a people. There are alot of us that need a fire lit under our butts to get us to move. I think that if more people opened their eyes then we'd have more talk about what so wrong with this country, than we could convert it to action. The government is sitting around smirking because they see how easily we satisfy. :flame: I believe back in the 60s there was more "in you face " racism that many people could not bear to close their eyes to. People nowadays are too happy wih just going through the motions and living life as second-class citizens (if that). Not seeing that we still are targets and are still thought of as monkeys to this very day. We are still being opressed but they don't have to blast us with firehoses to shut us up anymore, because our own passive thinking acts as that firehose nowadays.

6. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Paying the Price

We are paying the price for change every day. What is the cost? As we live each day a little more focused than the last, consciously becoming more conscious than yesterday, purposely seeking one new bit of knowledge each day and passing one on, (add something of your own here); these are the ways we pay the cost. The price we pay is in the sacrifices we make. The price of liberation demands the commitment of our life; we commit to LIVE for the revolution. We accept the possibility of dying an un-natural death, but our personal objective is to live as long as possible, with integrity, dignity and to develop the qualities of character to inspire those around us, leaving an outstanding example for those who are to come.
    In the 50's-60's, most of us felt and thought the revolution was right around the corner and we believed it so deeply that we were willing to sacrifice personal and material pleasures for the protrated struggle. We had no clue what 'protracted' really meant, but we commited to it nonetheless. We did not realize how interconnected we were with the global revolution of Black People and that global revolutions can take many years. The response from the opposition was to escalate the 'war without cease', a global attack on EVERY level. To look around the world today is to see the results of this continuous state of seige. (Nowhere on the planet is there a safe haven for the Black Man). That we could be here now (on the internet, out of 600 million users worldwide), choosing to 'converse' about our conditions is a testament to the strength and courage of ALL those who went before us, who have fought back on EVERY level. We are not a defeated People.
    To think that we who share on Destee are the only Black People on the planet who have freedom on our mind and destiny in our pocket means we are not recognizing who we are a part of. There are thousands and thousands and more thousands of Black People all across the usa and the Caribbean(out of 50-60 million), all across south america (including some of the 90 million Black People in Brazil), all across the 60 countries in Afrika (out of some 700-800 million), who dont know we exist and they are conversing (and more) as we speak. We are over 2 BILLION people on the planet (out of 6 billion total) and literally outnumber the opposition. They know it and we should never forget it. The law of large numbers will not fail us. We will not lose this struggle but part of a 'war without cease' is psychological warfare, convincing us that we cannot win.
    Paying the price means never giving up, never giving in and believing with all our being in the righteousness and victory of our struggle, even if we find ourself to be the last and only one.

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    i don't care to go to jail or be beaten by police again but nowadays that may not be necessary.
    the war now is about mental slavery.
    if we can free our minds and those of enough others.
    if we can just redirect our dollars.
    if we can just do for self......................

8. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Brother James...I like your message and your avatar!!!

9. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    thanks
    I'm a photographer with a portfolio of black images
    did you know you can go broke trying to sell images of black people? :hammer:

10. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

I agree.

Complacency is killing us....oft-times, literally.