Black People : The Rape of Black Women by White Men: Systemic Racism Again

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by oldsoul, Oct 13, 2009.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    The Rape of Black Women by White Men: Systemic Racism Again

The New York Times did an interesting story on Michelle Obama’s mixed-racial ancestry, one that is also revealing of the unwillingness of most whites to fully face and thoroughly assess the rape and sexual coercion of black women by white men–likely hundreds of thousands of times, over 350 or so years of our 400+ year history. It may, perhaps, be a weak start toward that assessment. (There is, to my knowledge, no major social science book on this subject.)
    The story begins with some genealogical research by the Times and genealogist, Megan Smolenyak:
    In 1850, the elderly master of a South Carolina estate took pen in hand and painstakingly divided up his possessions. Among the spinning wheels, scythes, tablecloths and cattle that he bequeathed to his far-flung heirs was a 6-year-old slave girl valued soon afterward at $475. In his will, she is described simply as the “negro girl Melvinia.” After his death, she was torn away from the people and places she knew and shipped to Georgia. While she was still a teenager, a white man would father her first-born son under circumstances lost in the passage of time….Melvinia Shields, the enslaved and illiterate young girl, and the unknown white man who impregnated her are the great-great-great-grandparents of Michelle Obama, the first lady…
    During our very long slavery history, well more than half our total history, young people were sold away from their parents, and were listed and treated just like cattle, as here. Notice too the timid language here” father” and “impregnated,” for the rape and sexual coercion that confronted a great many black women during slavery.
    The Times continues a bit later with one of two passing references to this coercion:
    While President Obama’s biracial background has drawn considerable attention, his wife’s pedigree, which includes American Indian strands, highlights the complicated history of racial intermingling, sometimes born of violence or coercion, that lingers in the bloodlines of many African-Americans.
    Well, again we get the very tame “intermingling,” followed by the awkward “sometimes born of violence,” since “usually born of violence or coercion” would be more accurate. In the slavery era most black women were owned and controlled by white men. The word “pedigree” here seems more than a little inappropriate since it is more often used of animals like dogs.
    The Times then adds this:
    When her owner, David Patterson, died in 1852, Melvinia soon found herself on a 200-acre farm with new masters, Mr. Patterson’s daughter and son-in law, Christianne and Henry Shields. It was a strange and unfamiliar world. … In Georgia, she was one of only three slaves on property that is now part of a neat subdivision in Rex, near Atlanta. …. It is difficult to say who might have impregnated Melvinia, who gave birth to Dolphus around 1859, when she was perhaps as young as 15. At the time, Henry Shields was in his late 40s and had four sons ages 19 to 24, but other men may have spent time on the farm.
    There is no discussion of the literally totalitarian system in which black women were usually at the mercy of whites, especially white men, for their material survival. The could be beaten into subservience, including into coerced sexual relationships at any age. This was true during slavery, and often true under the near-slavery of Jim Crow segregation that lasted nearly to 1970.

2. CITIZEN

CITIZEN Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +144
    1-My grandmother used to clean house for this white couple back in the day. The wife went out of town to visit family one week. My grandmother went over that morning as usual. When the man opened the door, he was buck naked and winking. My grandmother turned around, walked away, and never went back no matter how much the wife begged when she got back to town.

2-Like most of you, I have been on many Black/AA message boards. On topics that concern IR dating...they keep telling BW that they need to try WM if they want a decent man. They put down the BM, and encourage BW to date them instead. If it is for true love, I have nothing against IR relationships. I don't agree with dating out just because someone claims they can't find an adequate Black mate. Forcible rape has given away to manipulation.

3. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    "Forcible rape has given away to manipulation."

That is what the white complected Aryans did to create the Indian population we see today and the population of the Dominican Public as well.
    Keep in mind rape can be political force; as what lightened Kemet(Chancelor Williams, The destruction of Black civilizations) religious force, As in the resulting caste system in India or economic force as in the Dominican Republic and Brazil rather then physical force.

4. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
  5. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    What was the First Lady's comment about this?

6. ru2religious

ru2religious Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,891
    "Forcible rape has given away to manipulation" - CITIZEN

Thats basically what it boils down to.

I have a story similar - My grandfather reluctantly told me about what happened to his mother. My grandfathers dad killed a white man for what he didn't go into details. His mother grabbed him and the other 4 kids and took off. She went to the train station somewhere near Choctaw Oklahoma where he was born. She was just going anywhere without a destination to get away because she thought they were going to kill the kids and her for what he did. When they got to the train station my great grand mother Liona Green told my grandfather who was the oldest to hide for cover and to protect the kids. He took them and hid them but he was watching his mother like any kid would do. They took my great grandmother and beat her down all three grown white men and then they all took turns rapping her while my grandfather cry and watched as his mother screamed out in agony.

When my grandfather was telling me the story he was in tears. This was the first time that I had ever seen my grandfather cry, this year 2009 as I shed soft tears with him feeling the pain he was feeling.

Interracial relationships I don't understand - and to be honest I'm not looking to understand though I'm not a racist I can't for the life of me understand what would lead a brown man or woman to be with a white man or woman. We have to love each other first before considering anything else.

Peace

Ru2religious

7. suga06

suga06 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    The Rape of Black Women

Thanks for this article! I am a black woman would never date a white man. I don't understand how some black women say "girl get u a white man, they treat u better than black man.' How can they? They was taught racism at an early age. If they are so good why are white women divorcing them? Why are their divorce rate so high? I can't get past it(slavery). Alot of people say for us to get over it, it happen along time ago, but as a person who grew in the 60's and in the south, it is hard to get over, when you experienced it everyday. I didn't teach my kids to be racist, but I made sure that they knew. Here it is 2009 and it you don't think that racism is alive and well, just listen to Rush and Hannity, and the rest of those clowns. I remember when my brother-in-law, got in an argument with his white wife, the first thing that came out her mouth was "******." I knew then, that I would never go that way. But whoever does, God bless you!:geek: