Black People : The Proverbial Hook-Up

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Peace and Blessings Family,

We've all heard it or said it ... "C'mon Brother / Sister, i know you can give me a hook-up!?"

I think this mentality has proven itself detrimental to our collective economic success.

By doing this, we discount, diminish, make less, the product or service being provided by the Sister or Brother.

That's not right. Out the gate, we're asking for them to lower their price for us, when I'm sure their price was fair (comparable to their cost) to begin with. In essence, to even suggest such, almost implies that they've overpriced the product, or that we don't care if they take a loss. This is not good for us collectively.

When we do this, we hinder the movement of money in our own communities.

Plus, we seldom go into walmart, kmart, or any of those marts, asking them for a hook-up before dishing out our money.

It's almost a sign that we don't value what comes from another Sister or Brother properly.

We should stop doing this. Begin to catch ourselves when we hear the thought in our mind, and resist speaking it out loud.

Either you can afford the product, willing to pay the listed price, or you can't.

Let's give each other the same considerations we give white business owners.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    The issue is ironicaly a 2 way street,
    for instance before integration, the credit system was the backbone of Black economy since Black vedors or craftsmen depended on waiting for the customer to be paid fromthe share cropping or from the factory, and there was a culural understanding of mutual support, but in todays world from the 70s to the present many Black busineses have gone under, just by virtue of what you mention.

The only reason I stress the Nguzo Saba is that it is based upon mutual trust.
    The Su Su that Metascience mentioned is used by the Carribbean Community as an internal finance base, and active vibrantly and prosperously since the 40s

3. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    A case study of useful facts...

:fyi:

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    This is very true. Wonderful post!