Black People : The Pros and Cons of Secret Societies, Organizations, Etc.

Peace and Blessings Family,

Over the years, secret societies, organizations, etc., have come up in our discussions. Many here have claimed membership to such, half talking about them, while unwilling to put the whole thing on the table. I have often wondered what the benefit of being a "secret" society, organization, etc., is, for i'm of the opinion that very little is "secret" if anything at all.

Oftentimes these secret societies, organizations, etc., claim to do great work for the collective, yet the collective is not welcome to join or know everything about them. The collective is not able to openly monitor anything they say or do, but they claim to work positively for the collective. The collective continues to suffer, even with their existence. I don't understand this.

If you can't tell the whole story, don't tell any ... yet that is what it appears these secret societies do ... tell a little, while remaining unwilling to tell it all. Why tell any of it, if it's so secret?

In addition, i'm of the opinion that what is done in the dark, eventually comes to light. We've seen this ourselves, with the airing of so called secret societies, organizations, etc., business and particulars blasted all on the Internet. If folk simply started out open and honest, no harm could be caused them in this manner.

For us, Black People, it would seem that full disclosure would be a most important factor right now, after generations of being lied to and mistreated in this manner ... information held from us, etc. In fact, being open and honest, would have a healing effect for our people, on that merit alone ... yet many want to convince us that maintaining a secret is the answer. By doing this, encouraging this, we put our own children in harm's way, for it's much easier for them to be taken advantage of ... if everything is a secret ... so they join, based on that premise alone, which could cost them their life depending on the circumstances.

As you can surmise, i'm not affiliated with any secret societies and am having trouble seeing the pros regarding them at this point in our existence. They seem like over-exaggerated cliques to me, attempting to make themselves and their initiates appear somehow better or more knowledgeable than the rest of us due simply by inclusion to said entity. Many even say, you're not a Member so you don't know, actually using their inside information in this exact way ... to belittle another and/or shut them down.

Family ... what are your thots on the pros and cons of secret societies, organizations, etc.?

Can you help me see how they benefit the collective substantively, in this day and time.

Thanks a Bunch!

:heart:

Destee

Dear Destee,
I have now read your entire post. It seems that what I’m part of, is not what you may be talking about.
Judging from what you have posted and what some others have stated. There is a great divide between the truth and here say. I can only guess at what you are saying, for I don’t have your experience.

I will speak only on what I have studied and what I have experienced myself. I’m not a healer nor a pai (what we call a priest. I did not join a religious house, I was born into one. I for one do not use the langue of our house, for it would not help others understand us…..

Our house is in Puerto Rico, It has been for over two hundred years. It has been a secrete group, because of prosecution, nothing more. Like many of the African spiritual groups in the south-east of the U.S. (historically) We had to meet in secrete, in order to survive. We (my house) hold no secretes that I’m aware off, I’m 61. I would think I would know by now…..

My house reformed back to it’s more traditional African practice in 1896. The same year the U.S. took over our island. I guess the only thing we so called, hold secrete is where and how we practice. We only practice goodness and follow the believe of only creating harmony and balance.

What I am is a fight instructor (weaponless), In this area I do hold secretes, for we can’t teach those who we don’t know very well. Even I don’t know all (within my fight system). As you know our (African ) knowledge has been used against us many times. So if you or some one else was to join my group. You would have to grow within our path for us to give fully of ourselves. We practice humility, to act better then others is to create dis-harmony. To feel superior to others is also to create dis-harmony. To be secretive is only for our protection. The love we practice toward our families if not a secrete. It’s something we Africans all share. The ways of the drum, beat deep within us all. I am hopeful that this will answer many of your questions….

AXE

If I created a cult I would: create my own truth and protect it by making it secret. Then I would commit my followers by oaths. By making my knowledge secret I would be preventing it from being scrutinized and challenged by clear calm minds, not influenced by the peer pressure of other members. All truth can be challenged and tried by the exposure to the Sunlight. If you can't tell it to a 6year old and they understand it, it most like is not the truth.

I feel ya, Cat Daddy. I started a cult a couple years back. You have heard of it. It's called Tuhwism (Blackbirdism). I saw a need for people to want to believe in something so I decided why not have them believe in me. I created my own truth and told everyone, subscribing to it that it was secret knowledge. I duped a few fools who have now elevated me to their Prophet. I plan own attracting a few more weak-minded blurbs that really want to believe in the secret knowledge of the Blackbird.

How confusing things can be? What secret society did you belong to? I have drunk the kool-aid laced with cyanide, puked my guts out in Kalunga, walked the earth up and down, back and forth until I arrived here at this moment - this day and time - to meet you. Like you, I exist at the crossroads, one foot in and one foot out. I stand as an agnostic theist, nice to meet you.

I feel ya, Cat Daddy. I started a cult a couple years back. You have heard of it. It's called Tuhwism (Blackbirdism). I saw a need for people to want to believe in something so I decided why not have them believe in me. I created my own truth and told everyone, subscribing to it that it was secret knowledge. I duped a few fools who have now elevated me to their Prophet. I plan own attracting a few more weak-minded blurbs that really want to believe in the secret knowledge of the Blackbird.

How confusing things can be? What secret society did you belong to? I have drunk the kool-aid laced with cyanide, puked my guts out in Kalunga, walked the earth up and down, back and forth until I arrived here at this moment - this day and time - to meet you. Like you, I exist at the crossroads, one foot in and one foot out. I stand as an agnostic theist, nice to meet you.

:toast: :lol: :argue: :11600:

How said the expressed purpose is to serve humanity?

People have always created or formed groups, organizations and the like that were to some degree exclusive. The same degree of knowledge is not for everybody all the time. Let's think about doctors, for a moment. They possess a specialized knowledge which is not common knowledge. They have their AMA (American Medical Society). If you are not a doctor and haven't paid the membership dues, you are not allowed entrance as fully vested member with all privileges. Software engineers and designers have their knowledge which is not common.

We must stop viewing "secret" organizations with suspicion. The knowledge may not be for everyone to know and in the wrong hands can have diastrous effects. There are things I know I will never tell someone without the proper credentialing and that includes my son. The results could be dangerous and I mean dangerous. In Vodou, you are taught what is called "right-hand" and "left-hand". You learn those things by following reglamen and under the tutelage of your Mama/Papa Kanzo (godparents) and the sosyete you sworn allegiance to. If you somehow go rogue with your konesans (knowledge), you have the lwa and godparents/sosyete within the reglamen to deal with. You have a check and balance.

Now there are those individuals who work only "left-handed" path; they are known as 'bokors'. Many of these individuals are power-hungry, crazed folks that will contract their knowledge for any purpose, regardless of the end. They learned the knowledge somehow, outside of reglamen in most cases, and use that knowledge for oftimes nefarious deeds. They have no one to check them. No sosyete to keep them in line. No oath sworn. What knowledge they have, they willing share for a price, of course, to the pimp that will use it to enslave your daughter in prostitution or to wicked man that sends an expedition out to kill your son.

cosign on this entire post....exactly how I feel

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back