Black People : The Pros and Cons of Secret Societies, Organizations, Etc.

Destee

destee.com
destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Peace and Blessings Family,

Over the years, secret societies, organizations, etc., have come up in our discussions. Many here have claimed membership to such, half talking about them, while unwilling to put the whole thing on the table. I have often wondered what the benefit of being a "secret" society, organization, etc., is, for i'm of the opinion that very little is "secret" if anything at all.

Oftentimes these secret societies, organizations, etc., claim to do great work for the collective, yet the collective is not welcome to join or know everything about them. The collective is not able to openly monitor anything they say or do, but they claim to work positively for the collective. The collective continues to suffer, even with their existence. I don't understand this.

If you can't tell the whole story, don't tell any ... yet that is what it appears these secret societies do ... tell a little, while remaining unwilling to tell it all. Why tell any of it, if it's so secret?

In addition, i'm of the opinion that what is done in the dark, eventually comes to light. We've seen this ourselves, with the airing of so called secret societies, organizations, etc., business and particulars blasted all on the Internet. If folk simply started out open and honest, no harm could be caused them in this manner.

For us, Black People, it would seem that full disclosure would be a most important factor right now, after generations of being lied to and mistreated in this manner ... information held from us, etc. In fact, being open and honest, would have a healing effect for our people, on that merit alone ... yet many want to convince us that maintaining a secret is the answer. By doing this, encouraging this, we put our own children in harm's way, for it's much easier for them to be taken advantage of ... if everything is a secret ... so they join, based on that premise alone, which could cost them their life depending on the circumstances.

As you can surmise, i'm not affiliated with any secret societies and am having trouble seeing the pros regarding them at this point in our existence. They seem like over-exaggerated cliques to me, attempting to make themselves and their initiates appear somehow better or more knowledgeable than the rest of us due simply by inclusion to said entity. Many even say, you're not a Member so you don't know, actually using their inside information in this exact way ... to belittle another and/or shut them down.

Family ... what are your thots on the pros and cons of secret societies, organizations, etc.?

Can you help me see how they benefit the collective substantively, in this day and time.

Thanks a Bunch!

:heart:

Destee

If you or I are uninitiated and we know about it, it is not secret.

So, I will leave the explanations to those who claim we do not know unless we are initiated.

Even though I was told on this same site by some that one particular "system" was basically one of self-initiation.

Self-Knowledge us the basis of ALL Knowledge. So even that which is hidden that may one day come to light is meaningless unless it is the basis of self-knowledge and enhances your being as an individual.

Let's not dismiss secret societites, organizations and the like completely. Due to my religious/spiritual affiliation and economic situation, I am involved a few "secret", although most are more "private", organizations and can tell you there are a multitude of reasons why they exist. Some good, some not so good and some just plain bad. Generally, the person(s) excluded or left out of them view them as unfair, inappropriate and wicked. In some cases, this is true but you can not swipe with a broad brush a label that may be inconsistent at every instance. To do so is faulty.

I would love to go into it more, in typical Blackbird fashion, but I have time constraints. Just know, every one looks out for what they perceive is in their best interests, both personally and collectively. The goal, for the sake of common unity (community), is to ensure that your personal interests align with your collective interests.

At times this can be a very difficult dance, especially when your fortune permits you inclusion into a smaller group of individuals like employers vs employees. As an employer, no matter how I want to accomodate my employees, my interests may be diametrically opposed to theirs.

Being part of a privet club is being part of some thing larger then oneself.
A group of people that knew my grandfather, mother, grandmothers.
A group of people that will live on beyond Me.
We all have a common goal of mutual survival.
We help each other in times of need and encourage each other when we are down.
We teach each other skills we have, building, farming, raising animals, swimming, fishing, budgeting. Store management.

We are like a privet village, perhaps some day we will be, for real.
Its great to know people from your childhood who now have grandchildren, who in turn know about you.

A large group of people who have a common identity, history, an African based religion and philosophy. Who can help in a pinch.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back