Black Spirituality Religion : The PROBLEM with Agreeing to Disagree

Is this an honest question, or do you believe those responsible for the successes and gains of the Civil Rights Movement were lockstep in all of their opinions about what tactics would be employed to reach our objectives?

Do you think that the success of the Civil Rights Movement was won by Black Christians, Black Muslims, Black atheist, Black Republicans, Black Democrats, Black liberals, Black conservatives, Black communist or just a collective, collaborative success of Black people?

IMO, the fact that the success of the Civil Rights Movement was based on the collective collaborative efforts of Black people with a wide varity of ideologies from all of the aforementioned groups who all had to agree to dissagree in some fashion in order to work together towards a common goal.

If you dissagree with my assessment, I ask that you explain first if you consider the Civil Rights Movement a measurable success, then explain who was responsible for that success, then explain how they as an individual or group accomplished that success without the collaborative efforts of other Blacks who may differ on some things irrelevent to the desired goal and would have been able to "go it alone".

I am aware that different religious groups and different political ideologies came together for the common goal of Civil Rights. And, yes it was a measurable success. The question is related only to the common goal of civil rights. What did they agree to disagree about? Did they agree to disagree that we should have civil rights as a goal. Or, did they agree to disagree that we should do it non-violently. I am only speaking to what prevents us from agreeing on a COMMON GOAL. So, the question remains what did they agree to disagree about?

Bless your heart Brother A007, I don't remember you really fussing with anyone, until lately ... but then, as i said in the "Are Christians Being Attacked" thread, i missed some stuff that was happening. You've always been wonderful, it's always been good to see your name in the community, and that's certainly one thing I hope never changes.

Thank you, it never will.

Now, what I would like to see you change ... oh boy oh boy oh boy !!! :D

I'd like for you to allow everyone else the opportunity to change at their own pace, should they desire to do so, just as you did. If it is meant for them to do it will happen. AND, in the meantime, continue to respectfully and lovingly build with us all! I would love to see that. It's only recently that you've become so combative and unyielding about such things (at least I never noticed before). Like the smoker that quits, and now hounds all their friends that still smoke. These are decisions everyone must make for themselves, no matter how bad you want it for them.

You're the Best Brother A007!

I did not realize that my posting in the Religion Forum and/or challenging those who disseminate false info was combative. I agree it is unyielding, but I shall never yield to misinformation because of how a person feels about it. If I did this, then I should lay off of the KKK too!..lol. I have only been this way with people who SAY they only want truth. I have never been this way with CherryBlossom or anyone else who says that they believe what they believe and don't care what anyone else says. Like I said, I no longer challenge people because I have been privy to the claws coming out when this happens. I only challenge information that can be verified.

I thought this statement meant they should not be welcome here :

I mean, if I am Black, but the folk say don't talk about being Black here, then Black aint welcome.

Likewise, if I am Muslim, Christian, Demon, etc., and I can't talk about that here, then that aint welcome either.

Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant, by saying check religious beliefs at the door.

Yes Ma'am, that is misunderstood. I am not making the statement in reference to Destee, but in reference to the struggle. I am saying in order to come to an agreement or movement like Black Nationalism started by Malcolm, we have to do exactly as he said...Check our religions at the door, because they are personal choices. We have religious rooms here for discussion of religion, and I appreciate that and shall continue to honor that. We need all the religious people just like they need us non-religious people...we can agree to disagree on that front. But, we can not agree to disagree on what needs to be done to help our community and still be unified. IMO, I don't see how that is possible.

I think it's rooted in many things, but the bottom line is, it's not an area we all agree on (as you suggested).

Yes, we need to agree or at least work together in spite of our disagreements, as it relates to money (and a host of things).

Yes, I do agree ... and love you Brother A007! :grouphug:

:heart:

Destee

Love you too!!

Peace

Thank you, it never will.

I did not realize that my posting in the Religion Forum and/or challenging those who disseminate false info was combative. I agree it is unyielding, but I shall never yield to misinformation because of how a person feels about it. If I did this, then I should lay off of the KKK too!..lol. I have only been this way with people who SAY they only want truth. I have never been this way with CherryBlossom or anyone else who says that they believe what they believe and don't care what anyone else says. Like I said, I no longer challenge people because I have been privy to the claws coming out when this happens. I only challenge information that can be verified.

Yes Ma'am, that is misunderstood. I am not making the statement in reference to Destee, but in reference to the struggle. I am saying in order to come to an agreement or movement like Black Nationalism started by Malcolm, we have to do exactly as he said...Check our religions at the door, because they are personal choices. We have religious rooms here for discussion of religion, and I appreciate that and shall continue to honor that. We need all the religious people just like they need us non-religious people...we can agree to disagree on that front. But, we can not agree to disagree on what needs to be done to help our community and still be unified. IMO, I don't see how that is possible.

Love you too!!

Peace

Brother A007 ... let me apologize, I have no complaint against the way you interact here. You've never been any trouble to this community. You have always carried yourself in a respectful manner. I'm sorry for implying otherwise. It's been so krazee lately, so much foolishness, so much name calling, banning, just ugly childish behavior, that makes no sense at all. Anyone even close to it, starts looking like it to me, and well ... you been kinda close to it. :) But you've not violated, crossed any lines, that you weren't immediately willing to step back over. So, my apologies.

I did the same thing to Brother Khasm recently ... lol ... oh gosh. I'm sorry.

Yall (the whole community) are a handful, to say the least, don't let the dog been dun died, or they finna turn my lights out ... and I'm all the way more krazee ... ready to stab everybody ... :nuts:

I'm sorry.

Continue as you have Brother A007, just as you always have. :grouphug:

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

I am aware that different religious groups and different political ideologies came together for the common goal of Civil Rights. And, yes it was a measurable success. The question is related only to the common goal of civil rights. What did they agree to disagree about? Did they agree to disagree that we should have civil rights as a goal. Or, did they agree to disagree that we should do it non-violently. I am only speaking to what prevents us from agreeing on a COMMON GOAL. So, the question remains what did they agree to disagree about?

IMO it is impossible for people from such diverse ideologies to come together and gain such a definative victory without agreeing to disagree on issues where there belief system are in opposition to one another. The answer to your question is that there were many issues that the participants in the Civil Rights movement disagreed on but agreed to disagree for the sake of progress. Before a Baptist and a Jehovah Witness can work together towards towards a common goal for their shared race, they have to agree to disagree concerning their widely opposing views on hell, jesus, and salvation. They have to agree that it is ok for each of them to hold on to their belief system, and work towards goals that advance the ideas that they do have in common.

That is what happened during the Civil Rights Movement. It did not prevent them from agreeing on a COMMON GOAL and it SHOULD not prevent us from agreeing on a common goal for us today.

I got the impression from earlier post that you are of the belief that all major differences such as religion must be hammered out before we can move forward as a people. Is this your belief? Personally, I don't see anyone out there presenting any ideas or suggested paths for us to consider as common goals. What do you see as preventing us from agreeing on a common goal? I think the lack of a comprehensive plan for consideration is the only thing that prevents us from agreeing or dissagreeing on one.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back