Black Spirituality Religion : The PROBLEM with Agreeing to Disagree

We are in a perpetual state of stagnation brought on by people's inability to put their respective religions aside.

As I stated before, I am CLEAR that we will not agree on everything. I am equally clear that we will not follow are course of logic and information to find out if we CAN come to the same conclusion. So, we are left with agreeing to disagree on most issues that are closest to our hearts.

How does that lend itself to us coming together for a common goal if we agree to disagree about what the common goal is??
The common goal should be a hearfelt Altruism, and Empathy, expressed in a desire for the Common Good, which in Bhuddism is concidered spiritual, and not political.

The minutae of the list of problems canbe ironed out later, but the heart has to be there and it must be light as a feather as well!
That is why during the 60s practicaly all Black houses of worship in NYC and Chicago, inculcated various aspects of espousing a Black Power philosophy.

Uhuru Sister Destee,

Thank you for fixing the blocked message. (no need to mention it's part of the reason for my delay in responding..lol)

Sister Destee please understand that it was not my intention to willingly break any existing or new rule that prohibits any discussion on religion (is there a new rule?) admittedly I have not been able to spend much time on line lately.

In all honesty it is not my intention to "convert" anyone nor would i ever seek to rid the world of a belief in (their)God(s). My question "how is OUR UNITY possible when OUR GOD(s) tell us otherwise!?" comes from a genuine, un-biased observation (let the "scriptures" speak for themselves).

Allah is an enemy to unbelievers. - Sura 2:98

2nd Corthians 6:14 - Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

It is a great thing to see the very few who are able to embrace the struggle for Afrikan Unity & Liberation in spite of their religious affiliation, however it would be extremely mis-leading to suggest (not you personally) that this is in fact true for OUR MASSES. Who can truly argue that Christianity has not been used to teach us hatred for all things Afrikan (names, food, language, dress, land, etc), and who can deny that some Afrikans are killing other Afrikans right now in our homeland because some Afrikans believe they are direct descendants of Muhammad. I realize this must come off like I'm against religion altogether..I assure you this is NOT the case. However I will not bury my head in the sand of faith and pretend that I don't see the fruit dangling from the tree!

Sister Destee although I respect and support your responsibility to maintain peace and order on this forum, I don't think it would be fair to invalidate my question by simply tossing it into the pile of "divisive religious debate". For the record I am on no one side of the religious argument, my question is FOR THEM ALL! "how is OUR UNITY possible when OUR GOD(s) tell us otherwise!?"

Uhuru Now!

I would suggest that the Civil Rights Movement was a success by any way measureable. I would also suggest that the Civil Rights Movement was a collaborative effort of our people agreeing to dissagree. The biggest difference between then and now is that we knew what the common goals were and we knew what and who were keeping us from reaching those goals.

Today, however, there are no definative goals and unfortunately, without definative goals you cannot be 100% clear as to who or what is keeping you from reaching the goals which we are not certain of. (That is collective goals, we all for the most part know what our individual goals are)

Now, before we decide that we cannot obtain our goals by agreeing to dissagree, we need first to acknowledge that precedence has been set for doing just that (the Civil Rights Movement), and we need to clearly identify what our collective goals are and HONESTLY identify who or what is keeping us from reaching those goals.

A good starting point would be suggesting what your version of collective success looks like and what you consider to be a realistic path to acheiving that success.

Queen Destee,

No the young brothers in the hood are not killing each other because they disagree over religion. But, they are killing each other IN SPITE of their respective religious beliefs because money seems to be trumping faith. I am not saying the disagreements are the reason for the disunity, I am saying that we should be WILLING TO CHANGE and agreeing to disagree keeps us from changing. So, if we are unwilling to change, how can we expect anything to change around us?

Brothers are killing each other in spite of a lot of things, much closer to home than religion. They are killing each other in spite of the fact that they look the same, in spite of the fact that they have the same blood coursing through their veins, in spite of the fact that they have a common, greater enemy, in spite of the fact that their families are dying, in spite of the fact that they are each other's best ally, in spite of so many things, Black Men are killing each other.

You say we should be WILLING TO CHANGE, but all of your conversation Brother A007, has been about changing others, not you changing. If that is truly your message, encouraging us to be WILLING TO CHANGE, why not lead by example? How about you be the one that changes, instead of convincing others that they must do that. Words mean nothing, if there isn't a life manifesting those words, to match. So Brother A007, lead us in change ... :love:

It is not my goal to rid the world of the religious. I don't engage in acts of futility...lol So, the goal is to get us to check our religious beliefs at the door so we can have civil conversations that lead to change in our communities. In my humble opinion we are going to have to put money in front because 1 dollar + 1 dollar = 2 dollars is the only thing that we ALL agree on. And since we will agree to disagree about the other things, we need to build on the one thing that we do agree on.

Peace and Love

So the goal isn't to get rid of religious folk in the world, just those on destee.com?

Even that is a futile act, for all are welcome at our door, bringing whatever respectful discussion they'd like.

While it would be nice to put money in front, thinking we'd all agree on that, it's not true. If I put money in front, as you say, this community would be a ghost town. Even though we all know that it takes money to do anything, we struggle to keep an online community alive, one that we enjoy being at daily. When I first asked the Family for help, for money, oh my gosh ... i was attacked, maligned, accused of stealing from our people, all kinds of carrying on. No, money can't be put out front, 'cause we're not there yet (not collectively), where we are willing to financially support our own stuff.

Lord Will'n ... that day is coming.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

I would suggest that the Civil Rights Movement was a success by any way measureable. I would also suggest that the Civil Rights Movement was a collaborative effort of our people agreeing to dissagree. The biggest difference between then and now is that we knew what the common goals were and we knew what and who were keeping us from reaching those goals.

Today, however, there are no definative goals and unfortunately, without definative goals you cannot be 100% clear as to who or what is keeping you from reaching the goals which we are not certain of. (That is collective goals, we all for the most part know what our individual goals are)

Now, before we decide that we cannot obtain our goals by agreeing to dissagree, we need first to acknowledge that precedence has been set for doing just that (the Civil Rights Movement), and we need to clearly identify what our collective goals are and HONESTLY identify who or what is keeping us from reaching those goals.

A good starting point would be suggesting what your version of collective success looks like and what you consider to be a realistic path to acheiving that success.

What is it that they agreed to disagree about as it pertained to the civil rights movement?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back