Science and Technology : The Principle of Uncertainty

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by thePreacher, Sep 15, 2012.

1. thePreacher

thePreacher Banned MEMBER

Agent Of Change
    Ratings:
    +815
    As one physicist once said, nobody understands quantum physics.

In particular, the principle of Complementarity, and the principle of Uncertainty, is non-intuitive and difficult to grasp. This has led many people to reject such principles as pseudo-science. Even the fact that the infamous Double Slit Experiment [reproduced many times by many scientists] has proven the validity of these principles is not enough to help some get their head around all this.

After all, the rather inescapable end of this road is that everything we think we know about the real, material, Newtonian world, is not quite accurate. Newtonian physics breaks down at the sub-atomic level. Quantum physics applies to everything small and great.

I ran across a video on Youtube which is helpful in envisioning the wierdness of the Double Slit Experiment:

For Further Study:

2. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564

Even Newton knew "Newtonian Physics" wasn't flawless. For instance, Newton couldn't explain Mercury's orbit either. "Newtonian Physics" wasn't ever right--it was resourceful.

Anyone can tell that Newtonian Physics isn't right from looking at the equations. But it's never about being 'right.' We should not believe that.

It was a decent video, but it rode on a false premise that Newton was perceived as flawless, that's a problem.

Newton was "generally" accurate.

P.S. It's worth noting for readers that Newton studied Ancient Egyptian texts.

3. thePreacher

Agent Of Change
    Ratings:
    +815
    That is like saying some woman is generally pregnant

There is a lot of inertial reluctance among scientists as is the case in other professions such as religion, for instance.

What is totally accurate is that newtonian physics is an approximation which works well as long as you do not look too closely. Hence, Newton's laws continue to be used by NASA to fly stuff into space. But even NASA understands that you are better off using quantum physics, rather than Newtonian, to design the solid state circuits they use in their computers.

A few out of the box scientists are asking the obvious question. Which is, since quantum laws are always accurate, while newtonian laws are only 'generally' accurate, why not use quantum laws for everything?

There is an universe of knowledge waiting to be discovered after mortals become less reluctant to move on to the brave new world.

4. abstract219

abstract219 ...standing on the shoulders of giants MEMBER

United States
    Behavioral Health
    Ratings:
    +548
    very Zen.

5. thePreacher

Agent Of Change
    Ratings:
    +815
    If you listen, closely, you can almost hear it ... the course direction which is slowly nudging humanity away from our old egoic Way and towards the Way of One. Some are even calling it the same sort of Evolutionary Call which has happened in the past when something had to change for terrestrial life to evolve to the next level.

I don't know how much of the 2012 prophecy is accurate, or even if any of it is. But, I am honest enough to admit that it is the year 2012, just a few months away from the Winter Soltice, and _something_ fundamental is changing in this mortal age.

It has to, to avert what would otherwise be the utter annihilation of Gaia towards which mortals are headed.

Some Unseen Hand in the Unverse is guiding events to prevent us from tipping over into the abyss. Some think it is God. Others think it is the Annunaki, or perhaps some other form of benevolent extraterrestrials.

Some are frightened by it. Even as conservative an intellectual as Stephen Hawking recently was rattled enough to express fear, publicly, of some extraterrestrial threat:

Those who wish for the status quo to remain, or get worse, fear the Coming Storm. But, others, and I am one, welcome the change as positive. And I used to consider aliens as silliness. But, then, perhaps predictably, certain extraordinary experiences caused me to change my mind on the possibility of Visitors ...

Little but significant things are changing. The gradual inclination of science toward metaphysics is one aspect of this. The bizarre, but provable, theories of Quantum Physics and Superstring Theory are a reflection of this. Indeed, the aforementioned Principle of Uncertainty leads to the exact same conclusion as Maya of Eastern philosophies and the Matrix of my favorite movie trilogy.

6. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148
    The ideal gas law is only ideal at certain points in outer space. Though it is often used, because it's relatively close. The real gas law, which takes into account all the known variables that come into play on earth, is much more complicated. The ideal gas law:

PV=nRT

is close enough for most situations. lol

7. SlickBeast

SlickBeast Well-Known Member MEMBER

Australia
    Programmer/Game developer
    Ratings:
    +361
    Actually uncertainty is not pseudo-science. If anything there are entire branches of maths and science dedicated to this topic.

8. thePreacher

Agent Of Change
    Ratings:
    +815
    That is true. I just wish more scientists would follow it to its logical conclusions. One of those conclusions is that there MUST be some immaterial force, beyond the material brain, which is the ultimate observer without which there is the Uncertainty.

Ergo, that some transcendent force beyond time and space [as we know it] decides whether Schrodinger's cat is dead or alive when an immanent observer examines it. Stephen Hawking, in typical materialist fashion, joked that whenever he thinks of Shrodinger's cat he reaches for his gun. That would be one way to eliminate the uncertainty. But, I just wish he and more scientists were less intimidated by, and more inspired to understand, the metaphysical as well as the physical aspects of what is Real.