Black People : THE POOR BLACK VICTIMS...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Peops, sorry, but sometimes I get the impression from some of us that we ENJOY the role of being the victim... We take solace in putting the onus of all our troubles on White Folks, Immigrants, The System... We seem to believe that WE, poor ole Black Folks, are the only oppressed group, and that every body else is engaged in a conspiracy to deny us our humanity...

Some of what we believe may, in fact, have a basis in fact, as history surely tells the tale of the atrocities committed against our people, and the continuing saga of disruption of our communities reinforces our beliefs in the World Wide Conspiracy against us... I don't have a problem with that... What I have a problem with is that we complain, and complain, but few of us have any answers as to how we can empower the less empowered to overcome this perpetual victimization... I mean, that is why it continues to happen, because we're really not trying to stop it... It just seems to me that we get a thrill, and some take the pass, out of being a victim... Being called minorities, being referred to as the Disadvantaged and UnderPrivlieged, and GHETTO, seems to feed our sense of being powerless...

I know I've made a statement, and that I could be wrong about it, but that is my sense... What I'd like to ask you good folk is, do African Americans unconsciously enjoy the role of victim? Do we feel so seriously disempowered that there is nothing we can do about our victimization??? Our ancestors would never lay down, and accept being victims... They rose up, and gave us the road map out of the land of Victimhood... We, in this day and time, seem to have accepted our inferiority and powerlessness, to have finally aquiesced to centuries of suggestions about our inherent inferiority... Yeah, I know, da white man did it... What else is new???

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Yes, African Americans do enjoy being victims. That way, doing nothing to change or prevent our exploitation is justified. That is one of the main reasons we can't overcome anything. We have the numbers, we have the money but we don't have the interest or drive to do anything about it. I'll stop here because I don't want to be accused of being anti-black.

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    so your point is that black people are simply inferior to the other people?

4. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34

Who's that directed at? :picture:

My opinion is that black people are largely trying to be white people. We don't see ourselves as black people anymore, we see ourselves as Americans, so we don't strive to do anything to seperate ourselves from white/ American way of life. We are content with being second-class citizens because it's too much work to do anything about it. If there is not an clear act of oppression and discrimination in our face on a daily basis, we don't lift a finger. It's to the point where you have to convince most black people that there is still racism and oppression in this current day. Not because they don't already know this, but it's because they push it to the back of their mind because it's too much work and effort and pain to do anything about it or even acknowlegde it. Most races of people still have a degree of pride for who they are as a group, even if they have been corrupted by American thinking. Black people don't.

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    i disagree.
    i think the problem is that many black people think badly about black people.
    we are the only people i know who spend so much time putting their selves down.
    it's difficult to maintain a positive attitude when your own folk are constantly telling you that you don't measure up.

6. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    I agree, but every criticism isn't a put down. Black people get so bent out of shape when someone points out that we are too content and lazy to change our own condition. It's absolutley true. All these other races see that we're too content and lazy to change our condition...so what do they do? They bombard us with advertisments and false idols so they can take our money. They see us doing big things and they wave a dollar in our face and we sell it to them, knowing exactly what they'll do with it once they get it. They put MTV Cribs on and "How I'm Livin" because they know we'll spend more time trying to acquire these things, rather than trying to acquire our own freedom. We are not inferior, because 16 cent out of every dollar spent in America, is from black people. That's a grip of money. We make money and we contribute to the well-being of this country, but we piss it away because we have no pride for ourselves. We'd rather make everyone else rich, and then complain that people stole from us, because it's easier than saying "no" to all the sparkling pretty things that white folks sell us.

7. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Kente, caring and concern was the reason I posed this question, and caring and concern is, I'm sure, why you responded to it... I am frustrated with our seeming obsession with what the White Man ha DONE... I am even more frustrated that too little of our time is spent planning to UNDO whatthe white boy has been done... We know the White boy is the enemy - but he is not our only enemy... No African person should be afraid to call out the enemies among us not named Clarence Thomas... Even Clarence is not the enemy that some of our own family members are - you know the one's who are out here selling drugs, pimping Black women's meager paychecks, begging me for a dime to get enough for a cup a coffee... The ones smoking big blunts and taking a leak at the bus stop in front of our babies and women...

Why don't we have plan to clean up the mess we can clean up??? That is my frustration, Kente, and it seems that those who DO have some ideas get called out for being self-hating and anti-Black quicker than those selling dope... Something is wrong with that...

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    Exactly. I love black people as you do, and as james does, but failing to acknowledge our own mistakes is a mistake in itself. White people don't care if we blame them for everything, because that means we aren't fixing ourselves...so they have no problem with that. That just means we're sitting still pointing the finger. We don't even have to worry about white people if we fix ourselves and our way of thinking. Blaming white people is a waste of time, because they're never going to change their ways. That would be genocide for themselves if they did ever change. If we find our pride and unity, there's nothing white people would be able to do to us. The main reason we stay oppressed and victimimized is through our own inactivity and lack of pride. If we are to stay in this country and gain any respect, it will take effort and unity, because we have money, and that's the first think white folks see is money. The money that passes through our fingers in this country would change our existance in this country, if we learned how to use it for our benefit, and not everyone elses. There's only so much blaming we can do.

9. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    James, you know what I think, brother??? I think that based on your own statements, that you really don't have confidence that African people have every potential and capacity to do for themselves, to completely turn our communities around ourselves...

James, Black people have DONE for ourselves some very fantastic things... We built Black Wallstreets during Jim Crow segregation, had our own beach resorts, movie theatres, Negro baseball leagues, and built Black Colleges all over the South... All of this was done when times were at their worst, and we are sitting here everyday blaming the white man for our inaction, when our ancestors could've done that and been a thousand times more justified...

Aint no damned body putting Black people down, James! I am doing my comparison and contrast... We have done less with more than our ancestors had man... Don't you understand that??? Do you read history, brother??? The ancestors would've loved to have had their hands on half the near trillion dollars African Americans give to the white man for barbecue sauce and wise potato chips... They'd make their own chips and sauce, man! They'd make their own Hennesey, and it would go down easier, with all that loot we spend in this misdirected manner...

What is even more frustrating is that I am always fighting you, the Black Man with no plan, harder than I got to fight the white boy...

Peace!
    Isaiah

10. MrSolo

MrSolo Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    It's really sad that you need to stop because you "don't want to be accused of being anti-black". On that note, what good is this or any other forum if you can't express yourself without fear of being disparaged by others? Mind you, I've observed that these forums aren't exactly free speech - and sometimes appear to be heavily monitored, and perhaps censored for that matter. Some people here just can't handle things that they don't like to see and/or hear, but that shouldn't stop you from standing up for what you believe in, and expressing yourself. That's what the U.S. Constitution was originally all about.