Black People : The politics of friendship and humor in the US...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Ruti2008, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Ruti2008

Ruti2008 New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I'm new around here and have enjoyed reading so far.

I have a recent experience that I'd like to share with you and get your perspective on. Sorry if this is the wrong part of the forum but I wasn't sure.

I am a member of a few other forums and recently I was engaged in a discussion entitle McCain Vs Obama. There were lots of posters involved in the discussion from all parts of the world. So you can imagine that made the discussion interesting in terms of getting different perspectives.

Anyway, during the thread the discussion moved onto the differences in the politics of the North and South in the US and onto the fact that's the South is commonly viewed as more racist than the North. Consequently we began to discuss the legacy of slavery in the US and how that still influeneces people's (both Black and White) experiences and ideas.

At this point one poster posted this...

As you can imagine, his attempt at humor was not appreciated by some other posters on the thread, including myself and we pulled him on it. I personally found his comment completely inappropriate in the context of the dicussion. IMO It was distasteful to say the least.

He then proceded to suggest that WE (those who didn't like his joke) are the ones with the problem and that amongst his friends in the US (Black and White), this was not an inappropriate joke. He suggested we are uptight and are bigoted in some way.

He said that Black americans (his friends) would make jokes like this so it is bigoted to say he can't because he is white. I responded to this by saying I believe it is a very diffeent thing for a Black American to make this joke because in this context their relationship to history and how the legacy of slavery has influenced their lives is different to his. He disgreed.

This got me thinking and I decided to ask the folk here what they think as although I am Black I am not from the US and therefore do not really know what the politics of humor and interracial friendships are there.

I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks for reading.

Ruti x :)