Science and Technology : The Perfect Desktop - Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by anAfrican, May 9, 2007.

1. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    The Perfect Desktop - Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Version 1.0
    Author: Falko Timme <ft [at] falkotimme [dot] com>
    Last edited 05/02/2007

With the release of Microsoft's new Windows operating system (Vista), more and more people are looking for alternatives to Windows for various reasons. This tutorial shows people who are willing to switch to Linux how they can set up a Linux desktop (Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn in this article) that fully replaces their Windows desktop, i.e. that has all software that people need to do the things they do on their Windows desktops. The advantages are clear: you get a secure system without DRM restrictions that runs also on older hardware, and the best thing is: all software comes free of charge.

I want to say first that this is not the only way of setting up such a system. There are many ways of achieving this goal but this is the way I take. I do not issue any guarantee that this will work for you!

1 Preliminary Note

To fully replace a Windows desktop, I want the Ubuntu Feisty Fawn desktop to have the following software installed:
    Graphics:

* The GIMP - free software replacement for Adobe Photoshop
    * F-Spot - full-featured personal photo management application for the GNOME desktop
    * Google Picasa - application for organizing and editing digital photos

Internet:

* Firefox
    * Opera
    * Flash Player 9
    * gFTP - multithreaded FTP client
    * Thunderbird - email and news client
    * Evolution - combines e-mail, calendar, address book, and task list management functions
    * aMule - P2P file sharing application
    * Bittorrent client
    * Azureus - Java Bittorrent client
    * Gaim - multi-platform instant messaging client
    * Xchat IRC - IRC client

Office:

* OpenOffice Writer - replacement for Microsoft Word
    * OpenOffice Calc - replacement for Microsoft Excel
    * Adobe Reader
    * GnuCash - double-entry book-keeping personal finance system, similar to Quicken
    * Scribus - open source desktop publishing (DTP) application

Sound & Video:

* Amarok - audio player
    * Audacity - free, open source, cross platform digital audio editor
    * Banshee - audio player, can encode/decode various formats and synchronize music with Apple iPods
    * MPlayer - media player (video/audio), supports WMA
    * Rhythmbox Music Player - audio player, similar to Apple's iTunes, with support for iPods
    * gtkPod - software similar to Apple's iTunes, supports iPod, iPod nano, iPod shuffle, iPod photo, and iPod mini
    * XMMS - audio player similar to Winamp
    * dvd::rip - full featured DVD copy program
    * Kino - free digital video editor
    * Sound Juicer CD Extractor - CD ripping tool, supports various audio codecs
    * VLC Media Player - media player (video/audio)
    * Real Player
    * Totem - media player (video/audio)
    * Xine - media player, supports various formats; can play DVDs
    * GnomeBaker - CD/DVD burning program
    * K3B - CD/DVD burning program
    * Multimedia-Codecs

Programming:

* Nvu - WYSIWYG HTML editor, similar to Macromedia Dreamweaver, but not as feature-rich (yet)
    * Bluefish - text editor, suitable for many programming and markup languages
    * Quanta Plus - web development environment, including a WYSIWYG editor

Other:

* VMware Server - lets you run your old Windows desktop as a virtual machine under your Linux desktop, so you don't have to entirely abandon Windows
    * TrueType fonts
    * Java
    * Read/Write support for NTFS partitions

Ubuntu automatically installs the GNOME desktop.

Lots of our desired applications are available in the Ubuntu repositories, and some of these applications have been contributed by the Ubuntu community. The rest (except for Nvu) can be obtained by using Automatix.

more

2. nibs

nibs Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +22
    i use ubuntu for my servers. i think i'm still on 5.x (breezy?)
    i haven't tried to use linux as a desktop os for sometime; i stick with my mac os x.
    firefox in ubuntu is unstable for me, especially because of shaky flash support.

3. rnojonson

rnojonson Well-Known Member MEMBER

electrical draftsman/pc tech
    Ratings:
    +16
    the perfect desktop indeed!

Hello all, I am new to this net-hood and am a Linux fanboy.
    I am not a coder or a system admin, just an avid desktop user.
    Linux has many greats but progress you can experience is the top most. As you all know Linux can run on anything from a wristwatch to a mainframe and at the same time be fitted to many different kinds of users. Ubuntu Linux takes a stab at Linux for everyone. Today I use Xubuntu Linux 7.10 and it is improved over the 7.04 version. Xubuntu has the Xfce desktop instead of KDE or Gnome. It is lighter, swifter and still tweakable. Meant for older hardware, Xfce is even faster on new stuff. In Ubuntu 7.10 or Xubuntu 7.10 everything has been upgraded.

Firefox is stable enough for continued use, I haven't had any problems with it except for web sites optimized for MS IE browser. I also use a new browser called "Flock", a social browser based on Mozilla technology. It is more interesting than Firefox, hooking you up to all your internet resources and then some.

Gimp is very cool but use "Gimpshop" if you must have it closer to Photoshop. And do try Krita which is as cool as Gimp but easier to use, I think.

The only problem I've had has to do with having to use 32 bit browser plugins on a 64 bit machine. You have to use a wrapper to do the install. The user forums help make this smoother but it is still a pain. This includes Flash 9, but once installed, works fine.

I think it a strange thing that even long time Linux users, who tend to be server admins and coders, sort of cringe at the notion of Linux on the desktop. The idea is perpetuated that Linux is too complex for an average user. The server guy or gal has to know so much yet the server will run forever without their help. The desktop user doesn't have to know so much, point and click, drag and drop, cut and paste. Hummm...........