Black People : The Past Isn't Always The Past

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by legit-writer, Jan 2, 2014.

1. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    A lot of people get all upset when their past (negative ones) is 'brought up', saying "Don't bring up my past." Well guess what? Most of the time, the mistakes you made in the 'past' is still your present until you find a way to step above it, especially if it still impacts you today. A great general example is dropping out of school. Because you dropped out of school, you can't get the job you want or the college education you want (and you want it badly), unless you pass the GED, and until you take care of the mistake you made, you are still in your 'past' which, to me, is your present, no matter how you slice it. Same thing with going to jail for selling drugs, it will get in the way of you finding a job you want to do, and until you can find a way to be trusted in society again, you are still stuck in your past and that 'past' is still your present. So in conclusion, the past, to me anyways, is when whatever is currently going on with a person, no longer a product or an impact of a decision they made. It means they are truly free from a bad decision they made. You say you can't change the past. Actually, you can, because technically, most of the time, this 'past' you are talking about is still your present. A life lesson I learned.

2. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    I'd get upset if negative parts of my past was brought up, too, if I'm actually trying to better my present for my future.

It's like one is rubbing in it, constantly reminding them of a mistake they regret and wish they could change, and that's especially if they were told it'd not be brought up anymore. People do this a helluva lot, I've noticed, and it's really messed up, to me.

Even if one feels they are free from their own negative past, it's still what brought you where you are right now, still a part of history, so if you can bring someone else's up, then don't be upset when it comes around. That's how I see it.

3. Orisons

Orisons Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Mechanical Designer/Project Manager
    Ratings:
    +599
    As is TODAY, there is nothing any of us can do about the past apart from learn from the more serious mistakes made, as wouldn’t it be brilliant if we could make hundreds of years of African chattel Slavery and the just as damaging European Colonialism of this planet in general, Africa specifically that it evolved into, disappear?

However, we can’t, thus isn’t it both our individual and collective responsibility to BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY do whatever we can to make sure that one of the worst collective defeats on the historical record [we at least survived, many indigenous clans in the Americas and Australasia like the Tasmanians, did not] doesn’t continue to be WHAT IS, in the 21st century?

Isn’t your rationale with regard to sidelining negativity about the past so as to not stunt both our individual and collective advancement TODAY, spectacularly highlighted by the manner in which despite paying China $50 billion in reparations for the 11 million Chinese slaughtered by Japan’s armed forces between 1930-45 any Japanese history teacher who attempts to teach in Japan any of the so easily verifiable facts about Japan’s crimes against humanity at that time; is immediately fired, TODAY?

How does Japan’s overly protective stance compare to the so poisonous Euro-centric GARBAGE/LIES about the ongoing African HOLOCAUST that we are still allowing our people’s spiritual and intellectual development to stunted with worldwide, TODAY; as opposed to focusing on our so consistently very efficiently marginalized and ignored contributions to civilization/technical culture over the last 5000 years in every area of human activity?
    Isn’t ANYONE who genuinely believes they are not programmed
    graphically illustrating that their programming is COMPLETE?

4. Josh X Brown

Josh X Brown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +156
    As Salaam ALaikum!!!

Many people do not like negative parts of there past brought up because they have not overcome that negative part of there past and they fear that negativity. So they try and keep it covered but you can't escape what you have not overcome.You can keep covering it up but eventually it will be uncovered and many times it's when everything appears to be going good in your life. Reminds me of How God works.

5. legit-writer

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    What I meant by the 'past' is not necessarily me or someone else bringing it up per se, but more so it truly does have an impact on the present. that's why i used dropping out of school or going to jail for selling drugs as my examples because those do impact what a person's life today is until they do something about it, like in the case of dropping out of school, its impacting them today because they can't find a decent job and all they can get is a fast food job maybe, if they're lucky. the way to correct that is to aim for a GED and once that is passed, they are likely to find a better job, and go to college if they want to and they will be officially be free of their past. That's why I say the past sometimes is still the present. That's the reality of it all, and no one is willing to accept that. I, however did, (not that i was a high school drop out or a jailbird) and it not only changed my outlook on life, but my life is much better because of it.

6. legit-writer

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    I am glad you understand where I am coming from. It's not actual the person that brings up the negativity, it's the current circumstances from the negative actions that brings it up.

7. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    We live in a continuum. Like dr. clarke says, "all history is current".

8. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    If it's just situations that present or "bring up" the negativity of their past, then who are they stating, "Don't bring up my past." to, and getting upset at? Forgive me if I'm having a hard time understanding that part. But this sounds like it towards an individual, and not a situation they are caught in.

9. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    everything has its place in time....
    if chastising someones past/present is not met with the same amount of encouragement
    then it can adversely affect the relationship....
    so in conclusion...if the past is all you can see from an individual then it's probably best to move on....

one love
    khasm

10. Orisons

Orisons Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Mechanical Designer/Project Manager
    Ratings:
    +599
    quote="legit-writer, post: 853417, member: 1103"]What I meant by the 'past' is not necessarily me or someone else bringing it up per se, but more so it truly does have an impact on the present.

That's why i used dropping out of school or going to jail for selling drugs as my examples because those do impact what a person's life today is until they do something about it, like in the case of dropping out of school, its impacting them today because they can't find a decent job and all they can get is a fast food job maybe, if they're lucky. the way to correct that is to aim for a GED and once that is passed, they are likely to find a better job, and go to college if they want to and they will be officially be free of their past.

That's why I say the past sometimes is still the present. That's the reality of it all, and no one is willing to accept that.

I, however did, (not that i was a high school drop out or a jailbird) and it not only changed my outlook on life, but my life is much better because of it.[/quote However your focus on the academic dropouts doesn’t always apply does it, as underlined by several associates of mine who have never ever sat any academic exams [but are both literate and numerate] whose property portfolio/wealth has ALWAYS been much higher than what my circle of friends and I have EVER managed going the qualifications, get a good professional job route?

Are YOU going to answer ANY of the questions in my previous post, which actually widen the perspective of your rationale both historically and internationally?
    Isn’t ANYONE who genuinely believes they are not programmed
    graphically illustrating that their programming is COMPLETE?