Black Entertainment : The Passion. Who has seen this movie?

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by diakonos, Mar 2, 2004.

1. diakonos

diakonos Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I saw it this past Sunday. Who else has seen it? What do you think about?

2. LibertyLady

LibertyLady Well-Known Member MEMBER

social worker...
    Ratings:
    +9
    i havent seen it it always comes later in different country,s
    but i want to see it and when i have i will let you know ok....

i heart some critics say its to heavy....
    i,m like heavy ....isnt this the price jesus paid for us...?
    isnt this how it went?
    I have seen heavyer movies...
    but of course ....

this is about jesus.......

L :heart: ve Libertylady...

3. the_story

the_story Well-Known Member MEMBER

n/a
    Ratings:
    +1
    yeah i saw and it was DEEP, seriously man, this movie is just like dang....i was shocked thruout the whole movie....people was cryin and stuff....shoot i was a trip, i wouldnt go to let ya kids see it if ur under 14....
    :heart:
    -story

4. SayWord

SayWord Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    I saw it Friday night. Everyone in the theatere was completely quiet throughout the whole movie. Except the occasinal little kid crying. Yes, some parents brought their children. I saw some kid that could be no older than 5. :nono: But I concentrated on the movie. I was hurting for so long. It was so very graphic. But it was powerful. I :crying: at some parts. But I didn't cry because of the torture. I cried because the amount of love that God has for us that He would allow His Son to take all that punishment for us. That was beautiful to me. The acting was great. Everyone did such a great job in the movie. I'm going to see it again. It touched me in an unusal way. I've never felt that way during a movie. It has to be one of the most powerful movies of our generation. I hope everyone can understand this movie and not just see the torture.

5. BrownSugaBabe

BrownSugaBabe Member MEMBER

Personal Trainer/ Dancer
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw Passion Saturday Evening. I was very dissapointed. I thought the movie would talk more about the life of Jesus and what he did previous to his capture. Instead the movie was based soley around his crucifixtion. Yes the scences were very heart wrenching, I wouldn't like to see ANY human being go through that kind of savagery.

Pro's - Jesus was a prophet and one of his main accomplishments was giving sight to the blind and spreading truth. Sounds like a prophet to me, I'm reluctant to say however that Jesus had Supernatural Power and so was the movie.

Cons- Jesus is white. I only saw 1 black man within the entire film. Maybe someone else saw more. But again blacks have little or nothing to do in History on the big screen.

You come to me without POWER, without WHY - Matrix
    SAPPHIRE

6. diakonos

diakonos Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1

The thing to keep in mind is this. Mel Gibson wasn't so much trying to portray the life of Jesus as much he was trying to show how he suffered his last days on earth. That's why the movie starts towards the end of the Gospel narratives (the Passion). At any rate, there were a couple of flashback scenes that I enjoyed watching.

What really fascinates me is the response this film is getting from Jewish people. Of course Jewish Rabbis are speaking out against this movie claiming that it is “anti-Semitic” and portrayed the Jewish community of that day in a bad light. The way I see it, they don’t have a problem with this movie; they have a problem with the Bible. Mel Gibson didn’t say anything about the Jews that wasn’t in the Bible. As matter of fact, he didn’t take too many artistic liberties at all. He stayed very close to the written account.

Here is the question. There was a scene were Jesus was being beaten and Satan walks by with a baby in his arms (a weird and demonic looking baby). Who or what was that baby supposed to represent?

7. aretha

aretha Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0

8. SayWord

SayWord Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    I personally don't care what actor played the part of the movie. I know Jesus wasn't white. But I don't see that as being the point of the movie. The point is the amount of love He showed us for dying for our sins. Mel Gibson could have given the part to a green man and it wouldn't have mattered to me. Situations like this, I think it might be best to look past complexion and focus in on the message. Just my humble opinion.

9. a-mere-man

a-mere-man Member MEMBER

student in college
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree

There are too many people that are forgetting the message behind the movie. Us, as African Americans, need to get off of this whole Jesus was black etc. The fact of the matter is that he died for all of mankind black, white, chinese.etc. Let us not let the color of the characters blind us to the power of the message. GOd bless.

10. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    haven't seen it yet but i hear it's a good movie
    it tell the story of how he lived and died so crule